Chaosforge Forum

• April 23, 2024, 01:59
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: Badges Guide  (Read 31310 times)

Fanta Hege

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Will it work? I HAVE NO IDEA
    • View Profile
Re: Badges Guide
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2010, 15:07 »

I've been reading through this guide and I'm gona say its pretty good so far.
However what I wonder if why you don't seem to mention the fact that you can just open the rooms in city of skulls one by one with the rocket launcher and then kill em that way? This method should earn the badges easiest. Crack open a room, few shotty/plasmagun blasts, move to a next one.

Anyway considering I got a lot of experience on this area I thought I could give a few tips for the platinums/diamonds if you find thise useful;

Demonic platinum:
As easy as just "exploring" might sound, you might still want to place a few hellrunner traits even early on considering the fact that you need to find the special floors rather fast. You will also need to save a few homing phases, specialy one for the mortuary. Usualy the problem with this badge arises from the fact that you need to crowd control the enemies more than usualy if the special level is spawned in a bad location.

Arena platinum:
This is another one of those badges that need speed and crowd control in order to complete. For this badge the only few tips I can really give out are that;
1. Keep the corpses in the middle of the arena and be quick with your killing.
2. Try  to wish you find a good unique/exotic on the very first levels or a vault with a plasmagun/red armor.

Berserk Diamond:
Considering the double healing fact and the speed factor, in this challenge you should approach it similiar to that of the UV counterpart, but instead of vampire build, you might find blademaster more suitable for the Nigthmare. To compensate for the knockback, using tech mods on lesser armors can be very useful. As always, stay away from the sergeants, abuse the double exp gain and kill the lesser enemies, hope you find a butchers cleaver early and have fun. If you happen to get as far as picking a mastertrait this run will end up extreemly loads of fun. You might also find this to be a good way to gain Reaper Platinum on the way. For hellgate I'd recommend packing a few phase devices however.

Marksman Diamond:
This one is... a bitch. There are only a few ways to really beat this;
1. Find grammaton cleric beretta and go ammochain, yes, this should work as ammochain effects all multifireing weapons, which grammaton happens to be on full auto.
2. Mod the hell out of your pistols with whizkid and use juggler to mimic a chaingun.
Eitherway you're most likely not going to beat this challenge that easily, as this is most likely the most luck based challenge there is.

Destroyer Diamond:
Go Ammochain and corner shoot A LOT. Thats pretty much all there is. Once you're experienced with the game and learn a bit about the monster behavior this one is pretty straightforward and probably the easiest diamond badge there is. Your quarenteed shots make ammochain pretty much a death machine, one full volley will take down about anything easily and you have a lot of speed.

Pacifisimn diamond:
Back in the earlier version, fireangel was the way to go for this but in this version I'd probably say, just back up as much defensive traits as you can and hope for the best. Apply all other pacifism tactics and just go for it. Though for extra mobility and use, whizkid for modding boots and armor can be handy.

Arena diamond;
Try and hope you find a berserk pack or two before hell arena. Thats pretty much all there is to this one, unless you ofcourse find butchers cleaver or DS (ahahaha) before the arena.

Longinus Diamond:
Play like you always do to reach the UC on nightmare, however, take a few traits or hellrunner or you won't get this one. The best way to get this is with Max Carnage as you can 1 hit everyone with the chainsaw there. Once you get to the Angel of Death, run away from him, abuse his follow behavior, give him a little lava swim around the UCs lava and voila! This badge is yours. Two traits of Hellrunner will make you automaticly faster than he is.

Alternative way; Find DS and WHACK WHACK WHACK.

i dont even know anymore

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2010, 18:58 »

However what I wonder if why you don't seem to mention the fact that you can just open the rooms in city of skulls one by one with the rocket launcher and then kill em that way? This method should earn the badges easiest. Crack open a room, few shotty/plasmagun blasts, move to a next one.

Honestly, it never occurred to me to try that out.  I've been there only a handful of times before (just doesn't show up very often for me) and somehow I simply didn't attempt to lob a rocket at the walls.  It's kind of weird thinking about it, too, 'cause I DID rocket the walls in Hellgate on my first try, despite any inclination that there would even be monsters there.  Hell, I even mention that strategy (for Hellgate, anyway) quite a few times in the guide, so avoiding this detail really should look like a glaring error.  Thank you for pointing it out to me, and I will make sure to fix it in the next version.

Anyway considering I got a lot of experience on this area I thought I could give a few tips for the platinums/diamonds if you find thise useful;

There are some excellent tips in this post, and I will make sure to address them when I get to the badges in particular.  Some of my own quick notes:

- Demonic Platinum doesn't sound much harder than UAC Platinum, I mostly haven't done it 'cause I was working on specific badges.  HR and crowd control sound like the big deviations, so that's an easy add.
- I managed Arena Platinum with a combat and got really lucky on lack of spawning (although speed certainly helped).  Keeping the corpses grouped would be my own strategy, especially if you can get them to stack, but middle always keeps them in view, so I can understand that (not to mention plasma for Barons).
- Berserk Gold/Platinum/Diamond all seem to have the same difficulty curvature: freaking hard at first, then gradually easier over time.  Obviously you gotta follow protocol, but I need to try out Blademaster (at the very least on an easier difficulty) before seriously recommending it.  Well, that and perhaps wait on the zerk armor bug to be fixed.  Tech on armor is a great tip either way.  I would be worried about attempting N! Mortuary with only melee (have you tried it?) due to the ridiculously large numbers of Mancubi: low speed be damned, they are an enormous problem.
- I really want to beat Marksman Diamond, it'd be my dream come true.  But I have to agree when you say it's the most luck-based badge out there: you're depending on some true RNG intervention.  I love the Grammaton/MAc combo strategy, it's definitely worth adding.
- Destroyer/Pacifism Diamonds I've managed (got my Reaper Plat on the AoMC run) so having a second opinion will be perfect and give people some real hope on accomplishing them.
- Your Longinus Plat was done on AoMC, and there's another mortem from 0.9.9.0 of it being done on AoH: both are good calls (one is fast but lucky, the other is slow but more certain) and the lava bath is the same, so I have some good feedback for that part.

Thanks for the feedback, and I will try to get working on the Platinum badges soon.
I'm just a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.

Latest LPs: Angband, Delver

Fanta Hege

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2010, 18:57 »

I would be worried about attempting N! Mortuary with only melee (have you tried it?)

Several times actually, its bit easier than normally considering you get a constant zerking going on. However in this version the armor bug still persist so its probably not too possible right now. The blademaster is also the skill that shines here.

Most of my tries at it however have ended former commandes/anachro spawns in the mortuary as they chew a lot of health even if you zerk.

If you have a zerker going on just before entering mortuary, its well worth the shot.
The armor bonus from the set effect makes the rest of the game cake walk as you get 6+ to armor even if the angelic armor is at 0%.
i dont even know anymore

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2010, 10:14 »

Version 1.5 is up, adds about half of the Platinums and a few Diamonds. City of Skulls' strategy is better now (props to Fanta Hege) and I also forgot that AoP doesn't have a Phobos Base Entry, although the mentioned strategy used there applies to AoB nicely.

There are a bunch left that I can work on, but there are also a bunch that I want to play through before suggesting strategies (mostly the angel badges, like Marksman and Inquisitor), as they require some specific changes when compared to the easier difficulties.

Also, Fanta, if you happen to have tips on Centurial Platinum (ie, Ao100 on N!), that'll be a tough one to write up otherwise. As always, if anyone else has their own additions or corrections for the guide, just reply here.

Fanta Hege

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2010, 12:48 »

Also, Fanta, if you happen to have tips on Centurial Platinum (ie, Ao100 on N!), that'll be a tough one to write up otherwise. As always, if anyone else has their own additions or corrections for the guide, just reply here.

That is a very tough one, as I've tried it a several times I have to say I don't really have any good tactics for it yet.
The best tactic however that I've so far had that worked pretty well to about level 20 was going the dualgunner pistol route and hybriding with shotguns while with it, but that one also chews a lot of ammo.

Also as a heads up you may skip the centurial diamond completely as its deemed to be impossible.
i dont even know anymore

ekiM

• Private FC
  • Arch-Vile Lieutenant General [19/19/14/8/4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2010, 03:54 »

Not sure if this is a mistake or a bug, but where you say for Elite Platinum: "The Conqueror medal is acquired by gaining both the Explorer medal, which requires the exploration of all specials, and the Medal of Prejudice, which requires the destruction of every enemy seen.", this didn't win it for me:

--------------------------------------------------------------
 DoomRL (v.0.9.9.1) roguelike post-mortem character dump

Mike, level 15 Hell Baron Br. General, defeated the Cyberdemon
 on level 25 of the Phobos base.
 He survived 191198 turns and scored 361388 points.
 He played for 3 hours, 20 minutes and 7 seconds.
 He was a man of Ultra-Violence!

He killed 1052 out of 1052 hellspawn. (100%)
 This ass-kicking marine killed all of them!

-- Awards ----------------------------------------------------

Medal of Prejudice
  UAC Star (silver cluster)
  Aurora Medallion
  Explorer Badge
  Grim Reaper's Badge
  Hell Champion Medal

-- Graveyard -------------------------------------------------

###########################################################
  #..........................................................
  #.....................###.................###............##
  #.......###...........###.................###............##
  #.......###...........###.................###............##
  #.......###.................###............................
  #....X......................#>#............................
  #...........................###............###.............
  #..........................................###.............
  #..........................................###.............
  #.....||}.###..............................................
  #......|..###.......................................###....
  #..........##.......................................###....
  #.....................................###...........###....
  #.....................................###......###.........
  #.....................................###......###.........
  #..............................................###.........
  ###########################################################

-- Statistics ------------------------------------------------

Health 80/80   Experience 114460/15
  ToHit Ranged +0  ToHit Melee +0  ToDmg Ranged +2  ToDmg Melee +2

-- Traits ----------------------------------------------------

Ironman          (Level 3)
    Finesse          (Level 2)
    Hellrunner       (Level 2)
    Son of a bitch   (Level 2)
    Juggler          (Level 1)
    Dodgemaster      (Level 1)
    Whizkid          (Level 1)
    Triggerhappy     (Level 2)
    Ammochain        (Level 1)

Fin->Fin->SoB->SoB->TH->WK->MAc->HR->HR->DM->Jug->Iro->Iro->Iro->TH->

-- Equipment -------------------------------------------------

[a] [ Armor      ]   Angelic Armor [7/7] (59%)
    [b] [ Weapon     ]   modified plasma rifle (1d9)x6 [40/40] (P2T1)
    [c] [ Boots      ]   modified protective boots [2/2] (100%) (A)
    [d] [ Prepared   ]   missile launcher (6d6) [0/4]

-- Inventory -------------------------------------------------

[a] nuclear BFG 9000 (8d8) [40/40]
    [b] BFG 9000 (10d8) [100/100]
    [c] modified red armor [4/4] (113%) (B)
    [d] red armor [4/4] (100%)
    [e] modified gothic armor [6/6] (64%) (A)
    [f] Cybernetic Armor [8/8] (100%)
    [g] rocket (x7)
    [h] rocket (x10)
    [i] power cell (x50)
    [j] power cell (x50)
    [k] power cell (x50)
    [l] power cell (x50)
    [m] power cell (x50)
    [n] power cell (x10)
    [o] large med-pack
    [p] large med-pack
    [q] large med-pack
    [r] phase device
    [s] homing phase device
    [t] homing phase device
    [u] envirosuit pack

-- Kills -----------------------------------------------------

90 former humans
    120 former sergeants
    76 former captains
    170 imps
    111 demons
    110 lost souls
    58 cacodemons
    99 barons of hell
    1 Cyberdemon
    26 hell knights
    16 arachnotrons
    23 former commandos
    1 Angel of Death
    11 pain elementals
    50 arch-viles
    18 mancubi
    70 revenants
    2 bruiser brothers

-- History ---------------------------------------------------

He started his journey on the surface of Phobos.
  On level 2 he entered Hell's Arena.
  He left the Arena as a champion!
  On level 4 he stormed the Chained Court.
  On level 10 he found Hell's Armory.
  On level 10 he found the Anti-Freak Jackal!
  On level 11 he ventured into the Halls of Carnage.
  On level 15 he encoutered the Phobos Hellgate.
  On level 16 he invaded the Unholy Cathedral!
  On level 16 he found the Longinus Spear!
  He then destroyed the Unholy Cathedral!
  On level 18 he entered the Vaults.
  He managed to clear the Vaults completely!
  On level 22 he was foolish enough to enter the Mortuary!
  On level 22 he found the Angelic Armor!
  He managed to clear the Mortuary from evil!
  On level 23 he entered the Lava Pits.
  On level 23 he found the Cybernetic Armor!
  He managed to clear the Lava Pits completely!
  Then at last he found Phobos Arena!
  On level 25 he finally defeated the Cyberdemon.

-- Messages --------------------------------------------------

The Cyberdemon fires! You dodge! Boom!
 Chain fire (initial) -- Choose target or abort...   The missile hits
 the Cyberdemon. The missile hits the Cyberdemon.
 Chain fire (warming) -- Choose target or abort...   The missile hits
 the Cyberdemon. The missile hits the Cyberdemon. The missile hits the
 Cyberdemon. The missile hits the Cyberdemon. The missile hits the
 Cyberdemon. The missile hits the Cyberdemon. The Cyberdemon reloads
 his rocket launcher.
 Chain fire (full) -- Choose target or abort...   The missile hits the
 Cyberdemon. The missile hits the Cyberdemon.
 Chain fire (full) -- Choose target or abort...   The missile hits the
 Cyberdemon. The Cyberdemon dies. You feel relatively safe now.

-- General ---------------------------------------------------

Before him 338 brave souls have ventured into Phobos:
 284 of those were killed.
 4 of those were killed by something unknown.
 5 didn't read the thermonuclear bomb manual.
 And 20 couldn't handle the stress and committed a stupid suicide.

Some rumours though, say that the Cyberdemon was killed already!
 Is he immortal? 25 souls claim to have killed him...
 4 sacrificed itself for the good of mankind.
 21 killed the bastard and survived.

No Elite Platinum :<

Oh, and, good guide! xx
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 03:55 by ekiM »
[19/19/14/8/4] Arch-Vile Lieutenant General

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2010, 07:10 »

Not sure if this is a mistake or a bug, but where you say for Elite Platinum: "The Conqueror medal is acquired by gaining both the Explorer medal, which requires the exploration of all specials, and the Medal of Prejudice, which requires the destruction of every enemy seen.", this didn't win it for me.

Technically, it's a little of both. Conqueror Badge (as far as I can tell) appears to mean that all levels become "relatively safe" (ie, the floor label in the bottom right turns blue) which may or may not proc in each special level. There's currently a bug that exists in the game, although it's not certain what the bug is. On the other hand, according to Tavana, Explorer Badge and Conqueror Badge are mutually exclusive, so I need to revise my choice of words. Thank you for bringing it to my attention.

Congrats on that UV victory, too, it's quite an accomplishment to pull off. Though, to be honest, I'd like to see it pulled off without MAc for once. (Can't say I've done it WITH MAc yet, but I'll want to try both soon.)

UltimateChaos

• Elder
  • Sergeant
  • Arch-Vile Mjr. General
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2010, 20:22 »

Awesome badge guide Game Hunter, I love it! 

I have a confession to make... I've been playing this game for years through different releases and have just been lurking on the forums until now.  The reason I created an account?  So I could view this guide.

That out of the way, I have a couple of things to add in.  If not otherwise specified, these strategies are for Gold although generally is true for all difficulties.

In an AoP challenge, the Chained courts are not compeltely useless, since picking up the chainsaw will set you to full health AND berserk you.  Also, while Ironman will give you more bang for your buck while using large medkits, it *won't* for small med kits, so your traits are probably better off spent elsewhere.  With such low amount of health, I find it vital to strike enemies where they can't strike back, so I strive for Cat'seye and Int2, although I haven't quite managed a cat's eye yet =/

For AoH, I just want to support that Cat's Eye makes this a very doable challenge, heck you should be going for a high kill rate anyway on UV simply because that exp is very valuable when you only have half the levels to earn it.

In regards to AoMs, I've found the run to be relatively simple as long as I'm making decent progress at hitting the down stairs and letting my exp level me up as I go.  That is, I'm not too agressive at leveling and just sort of play through letting the level up bonus carry me.

For Ao100, the best tip I can give is to not go through the run all at once.  The monotony will set in and you may die a stupid death =/

Platinum badges:

Strategy of N!  - Chained courts are a heavensend, even if you're just going to grab all the zerking.  The zerking from 4 packs and the chainsaw can clear a full level on N! and get you through a few if you are just trying to find the exit.  Also, I'm a huge fan of the wall and suggest completing it whenever you can.  Although it's annoying that enemies here respawn after you've cleared the Wall =/ 

Special level tactics for Conquering UV - First may be good to mention that it is currently bugged =/  Besides that, in Hell's Armory (Especially if you have Ammo Chain) Most enemies will converge into the center and firing a rapidfire weapon down that long corridor is almost always guaranteed to hit *something.*  Also, for the trickier enemies, firing down their doors and backing down the long corridor again often works. 

Angel of Berserk Tactics -  Don't forget about giftdropping, I haven't seen in mentioned here.  Almost all of the beginning levels can be cleared without *too* much trouble by dropping a medpack in front of a door, standing to the side, opening it, and waiting to ambush the former human/sergeant that goes to pick it up.

AoRA @ 100% kills - MFa is a fantastic build for AoRA, but consider going for Cat's eye for easy monster locations.

Arena Plat - Challenging the Arena on N! in a standard game is an accomplishment indeed.  Going for this badge on AoMC is much easier, however.  A chain gun and at least 4 med kits has a very good shot at clearing the arena.  Simply try to stay in one general area near the corpses so you'll quickly kill them when they respawn.  Chaingun is a must.  (Can *technically* be done with combat shotty, but then you may as well be playing standard N!)

Berserker diamond - "Notes" comment is double posted. 

Okay!  That covers what has been listed so far.  Now to add personal comments on badges not listed yet...

Angel of Marksmanship Diamond -

As Fanta Hege stated, early unique is a must.  I remember hearing a bit on the forums about how Grammaton Cleric Beratta was NOT affected by MAc, may need to be confirmed.  Also, having found a blaster during a Cat's Eye run through UV, I can say that this is an incredibly powerful alternative, basically granting you the benefits of Ammo Chain and Cat's Eye in the same run.  This can also (theoretically) get you through.

Angel of Pacifism Diamond -

In current release, the only defensive traits you're allowed are Iron man, Tough as Nails, and Bad Ass.  If you are very lucky with stair generation and special levels, you may be able to get EE, EE, Int.  It can be argued however that Finesse -> Whiz Kid is a more powerful choice.  I recommend going for TaN and BA right off the bat, since being knocked around usually causes more harm than good, especially if you're trying to go through those stairs / trying to pick up that item / trying to dash past a former sergeant.  Go for the Chained Courts at all costs, those berserker packs and chainsaw berserk will allow you to live through many levels to come.

That's all I can think of at the moment... I can look through your guide and give you specific number notations if you really need it.  Congrats again on an awesome guide so far!

[22/22/19/7/3]
Just completed Strongman Gold ^_^

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2010, 21:53 »

Thank you for the praise and tips, UltimateChaos. I am glad to hear that my guide is having some effect on the community.

Several of your comments have already been added to and noted in the latest version of the guide. You seem to think highly of MCe and, though I may not have the same experience, I can understand where you're coming from. Its potential use in AoRA I find particularly interesting and may very well play a Quartermaster Diamond run based around it.

One strategy in particular I am mostly unfamiliar with, however, is giftdropping. I have heard it mentioned here and there on the forums so I understand how it works, but I'm going to have to do some personal testing before I add it. However, when I do, it'll be added as a separate appendix altogether, and (naturally) you'll be attributed to its creation.

Let me know if there's anything else to add/fix in the meantime. (Same goes for everyone else, of course.)

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2010, 19:39 »

Version 1.6 is added! There are only a few badge left to do, but I can only get to them once I'm back playing the game (in a few days) and have a good idea of how to actually approach them. There's a good chance I'll revise many of the current strategies as well, given I've been a long while away from the rogue-like itself.

In addition, I plan on adding appendices for both gift-dropping and rocket-jumping, the latter of which appears to be (as far as I can tell) thoroughly unexplored in its peculiarities. I imagine the rocket jump has potential for the Strongman series in particular, as well as N! Hellgate speedrunning and N! Mortuary speedgrabbing. If anyone has any specific advice (I'll be fine writing how they work and the general uses of the mechanic) regarding particular challenges, special levels, or the like, please reply.

AStranger

• First Lieutenant
  • Cyberdemon Blade
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2010, 21:57 »

Looking good, this is a pretty solid badge guide.

My 2 cents would be to add a section in the appendix about corpse disposal, since it's important in a few places but only really explained once. Also toss in that if you kill a mob standing in an open doorway, it doesn't leave a corpse. I took a quick look but I didn't see it listed.
[24|23|20|18|13] v.0.9.9.3
[17|10|8|5|2] v.0.9.9.2
[15|11|10|6|3] v.0.9.9.1
[18|17|14|10|6] v.0.9.9

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2010, 12:31 »

Version 1.7 is out. I've been tinkering with it for a while but haven't done a lot, shouldn't posted it a long time ago. One of these days, I'll finish all of the sections (even though there's only about seven left to do) and then maybe I can get to work on something else.

Here's the original thread if anyone is interested.

File History
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
EDIT: Needless to say this guide contains spoilers all over the place. If you want to learn how to play the game on your own, don't look at this. If you want to figure out a particular badge, look only at that particular badge. If you desire REAL ULTIMATE POWER, it takes a while to go through the entire thing.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 12:36 by Game Hunter »

Deathwind

• Colonel
  • HMP Angel of Patience 0.9.9.4
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2010, 15:03 »

No offense intended but it needs another editing pass. The current version has quite a few copy/paste errors.

4.12. Destroyer Bronze - Reach level 12 in Angel of Max Carnage

Notes: You need only enter level 12; you do not have to clear or exit the level. For tips on AoMr completion, see Quartermaster Silver.
v.997 [16/5/2/0/0]

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2010, 10:53 »

What's really sad is that those mistakes have surely been there since, like, the first draft, and no one bothered to tell me. I appreciate it nonetheless, and I'll make sure to check for obvious mistakes on the easy stuff before 1.8.

Like I said in the first thread, any contributions you wish to make (or just criticisms on the current stuff) should go here, and we can discuss whether or not they would fit into the guide (FYI, they usually do).

Deathwind

• Colonel
  • HMP Angel of Patience 0.9.9.4
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2010, 14:32 »

do you want me to fix up some of the problems and repost it?
v.997 [16/5/2/0/0]
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All