Chaosforge Forum

• April 18, 2024, 19:01
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Inventory management  (Read 2915 times)

Benkyo

• Private FC
    • View Profile
Inventory management
« on: March 10, 2012, 13:28 »

So I posted this complaint elsewhere but having come up with a better solution I thought I'd create this thread.

Currently, equipping a new item with a full inventory is a 6 or 7 step process (I thought it was 5, then I realised moving counts too)

How about adding some extra functionality to dropping? If you drop an item from any equipment or inventory slot, IF there's an item on the ground at your feet that item will replace the dropped item in the slot just freed up IF the item is of the appropriate type.

So, to take a common example in AoLT: you have green armour equipped and a full inventory. You are standing over blue armour. You go to your equipment screen, select the green armour, it tells you you have no room in your inventory, do you want to EXCHANGE items? You say yes and hey presto, you equip blue armour, the green is at your feet and no inventory shuffling was required.

This could work for the drop key too.

This would be so much simpler than the current process:

1) Drop an item you want to keep
2) Move over the blue armour
3) Pick up the blue armour
4) Equip the blue armour
5) Drop the green armour
6) Move over item left at (1)
7) Pick up the item

So, that's my no.1 request for DoomRL.

The other that comes to mind is related to the new graphical mode. How about two fast scroll keys to view the level? Using the mouse takes quite a long time, especially on a touchpad.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 00:50 by Benkyo »
[21|15|7|0|0]

Benkyo

• Private FC
    • View Profile
Ground at your feet as inventory slot
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 00:50 »

Nope, my first idea was better after all:

The ground at your feet should be an inventory/equipment slot. Combining the inventory and equipment pages would help too. Both these changes would make inventory management in AoLT so much easier.
[21|15|7|0|0]

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
Re: Ground at your feet as inventory slot
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 08:37 »

The ground at your feet should be an inventory/equipment slot. Combining the inventory and equipment pages would help too. Both these changes would make inventory management in AoLT so much easier.
This would be a real chore to implement, as the inventory itself is an object: combining it with other bits and pieces would require some big rewriting in order to increase flexibility.

I wrote a little change to the 'u'se command so that it can do the following:
  • If the item is a consumable, it will directly use the item from the ground
  • If the item is wearable, it will attempt to equip the item directly to the player
    • Attempt is successful if and only if the appropriate equipment slot is empty
    • 'u'sing a weapon first attempts the equipped slot, then the prepared slot
Still need to see how well this meshes (insomuch as being bug-free), but it certainly drops the time spend fiddling around with a full inventory. In your example, this new functionality lets you complete the process in the following way:
  • Drop the equipment you're getting rid of (special command from the equipment page)
  • 'u'se the equipment you're standing on
It doesn't make everything simpler, but I think it's a big improvement.
I'm just a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.

Latest LPs: Angband, Delver

spacedust

• Elder
  • First Sergeant
  • Ha-haa!
    • View Profile
Re: Inventory management
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 08:58 »

As someone messing around with AoLT for the first time, I appreciate this change a lot!

Benkyo

• Private FC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 15:01 »

That is a massive improvement, thanks!

Aside from anything else, I won't have to worry about losing an important item to explosions while replacing something in future releases.

Inventory fiddling was the only thing preventing AoLT from being my favourite challenge, so this makes me very happy =)
[21|15|7|0|0]

Deathwind

• Colonel
  • HMP Angel of Patience 0.9.9.4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2012, 16:00 »

hell yes
v.997 [16/5/2/0/0]
Pages: [1]