Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 02:33
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Author Topic: Request for Help : Monsters Needed!  (Read 35839 times)

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
Request for Help : Monsters Needed!
« on: January 04, 2007, 15:32 »

Once I add the daycount (and the campaign) mode, there will be a need to add more monsters. This is no easy task, because I wan't them to be recognizable and different from each other (I think DoomRL manages that almost fine). Also I would like to keep the number of ranged opponents low. So please post your ideas! It's not the stats and the names that are important here, but the way the monster will differ from the others!

Help me brainstorm :)
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Getix

• Corporal
  • Always forgive, never forget.
    • View Profile
    • Getix's Blog
Re: Request for Help : Monsters Needed!
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2007, 16:39 »

Monsters that can make a kind of.. "low level teleportation" but random..  3-4 tiles.. they are in front of you, then behind.. and so on.

http://getix.wordpress.com
Personal, Trance & Roguelike blog.

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2007, 09:08 »

I think a monster symbol should be attached to each suggestion, based on anything the writer considers important - e.g. 'n' for Getix's monster because RL players will affiliate that with a NetHack nymph, or for ninja, jumping around too fast to see, which seems more related to the theme.

As someone who hasn't watched Berzerk!, should I be giving ideas anyway?

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2007, 09:20 »

Berzerk! is a 1980 drama, we're talking about the Berserk Anime/Manga :P. And yes, your ideas are welcome -> just remember that all the enemies are demonic. And it's not the "kind" of enemies I have problems, it's the unique abilities that I have problems with -- ergo -> just give me an "idea" for monster behaviour/abilities and I'll make the monster ^_^.
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Adral

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2007, 09:40 »

First I'll try to do a monster template for everyone to use, so at least we have some kind of standarization. Kornel, feel free to get another standard profile running if you don't like mine:
Code: [Select]
---Monster template---
Name:

Strength:
Dexterity:
Speed:

Attack type:

Special Abilities:

Behaviour:

-----------------------

Use adjectives when referring to Strength, Dexterity and Speed, not numbers. I think it's Kornel who should set up all the values as he feels like putting.

I suggest using this adjective table, from worst to best, blatantly stolen from Fudge (the best RPG system EVAR)

Abysmal -> Terrible -> Poor -> Mediocre -> Fair -> Good -> Great -> Superb -> Legendary

Fair is what a normal human would have for that stat.

On Special Abilites, and Behaviour, just try to describe them the better you can.

Ok, so here goes my first try at a character:

Code: [Select]
---Monster template---
Name: Imp (?)

Strength: Poor
Dexterity: Good
Speed: Great

Attack type: Melee

Special Abilities: Flies over terrain. Perhaps uses a burning attack.

Behaviour: Hits the player and goes back out of his melee range whenever possible. Hit and run tactics. Tries to end up in open terrain to avoid being cornered.

-----------------------
Paranoia is a very comforting state of mind. If you think they're out to get you, it means you think you matter

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2007, 15:46 »

Ok! :P
And I've never heard of a 1980 drama called Berzerk! - any details?

Something massive with a stomp attack = slows player down when nearby.
Using Adrals template (I assume Dexterity's more of a hit rate/attack speed?) I'd say,

Name: Behemoth

Strength: superb
Dexterity: good
Speed: poor

Attack type: melee

Special abilities: ^, and possibly an "ability" preventing knocking the player back (simulating a downward smash or bite attack)

Behaviour: simple track-the-dot - goes right for you. He's too slow for games and too strong to hold back. Obviously, terrain won't be a problem.

---

Name: Shrieker

Strength: fair
Dexterity: great
Speed: great

Attack: melee

Special abilities: invisible more than a tile away, but shrieks are heard. Possibly has an unnerving effect (no ranged attacks, high miss rate) when not berserking. Regeneration?

Behaviour: violent straight-forward attack, suddenly retreats after a few hits and attacks from another direction. If made weaker it could attack in bands, for a very confusing effect considering you wouldn't know when you're done with them.

---

Name: Swolen

Strength: good
Dexterity: fair

Special abilities: cannon fodder! Stronger and slower than beasts. Maybe stench for a slight energy drain when near.

Behaviour: simple.

---

Name: Sporewhore

Inspired by the Starcraft Queen and a casual Succubus, I'm not sure what to make of it, only that it will have "minions" attacking and retreating, yeah, like a SC Carrier :) . Seems more like a DC-comics villain name than a good monster race, though, so maybe it should be a sarcastic boss' nick.

---

I suggest only Kornel looks at this one, in case it's included.
I also suggest it is edited out by him if that might happen.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Adral

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2007, 15:57 »

I assume Dexterity's more of a hit rate/attack speed?

Yep, should have cleared that one out, my fault. I was thinking along the lines of:

* Strength being the damage potential of the monster
* Dexterity being the hit ratio/hit speed
* Speed being the movement speed per se

The other things I think they are pretty self-explanatory, but ask out if you don't know what's something supposed to be :).

Another one for the pack:

Quote from: Template
---Monster template---
Name: Reaper

Strength: Great
Speed: Poor

Attack type: Melee, but special.

Special Abilities: Attacks with a demonic scythe. Reaches up to 2 squares from his current position, so it's a kind of "ranged melee" attack. The attack has a chance of lowering your berserk rage, as it infounds you with hellish fear.

Behaviour: Slowly comes for you, trying to get lesser demons before you so you can't attack him in sight. When in range, gets out of the barrier and cuts you with his scythe.

Description: Just like the Death everyone expects: black robe, skeletal, and with a large scythe.
-----------------------

Paranoia is a very comforting state of mind. If you think they're out to get you, it means you think you matter

Supernaut

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2007, 17:07 »

I would add the endurance to your template. That way you can create weak but durable monsters.

Adral

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2007, 02:05 »

I would add the endurance to your template. That way you can create weak but durable monsters.

It's a nice idea, although maybe Kornel wants to specify how much hit points should a monster have based on balance. If he thinks we're better adding Endurance too, I'll edit my previous posts :)

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2007, 10:33 »

Here're a few more:

Name: Warlord (I'm sure there's a better name possible)

Strength: great
Speed: fair

Special abilities: sends nearby creatures into a raging state, with higher attack/damage/damage reduction but a lower dodge rate.

Behaviour: mostly charges, to keep the the char within the monster-rage effective area.

---

Name: Deathknight (there HAS to be better name for this one)

Speed: mediocre

Attack type: melee/ranged

Special abilities: corrosive aura causes rapid decomposition of nearby matter, destroying terrain and creating a poison-fog effect which rises from corpses and to a lesser degree from vegetation.

Behaviour: prefers corpses in its wake to make the best of its aura, but other than that goes straight for the char.

---

Name: Deweller past the Void

Strength: mediocre
Speed: superb

Attack type: none

Special ability: attack teleports char and DptV randomly (but to the same location), causing distortion damage and massive energy drain to the char.

Behaviour: direct attack.

---

Name: Whiteworm [swarm]

Dexterity: great (swarms are hard to hit/evade. Otherwise, it should be lower)

Special abilities: consumes corpses and multiplies

Behaviour: goes for corpses rather than the char, but will not retreat. Description assumes a swarm of rat-sized creatures.

---

Name: Blackworm

Attack type: melee, and see below

Special abilities: consumes living monsters; it then animates it into a skeleton (see below) and gains charges for two abilities - it can animate dead (2-3 corpses per charge) into skeletons, with lower stats but with higher damage and knockback reduction, and it can, with a seperate counter, launch acid/poison projectiles. It will not consume monsters more powerful than it, and can only animate one of those per charge.

Behaviour: keeps away and uses abilities. Will fight only as last resort.

Adral

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2007, 11:01 »

Heh, TFoN is more inspired than me:P

I'll throw another in:

Name: Winged Demon (horrible name, I know)

Speed: good

Attack type: melee, but special

Special Abilities: Doesn't attack by "bumping" into the character, attacks by flying over him and hiiting with *insert nasty appendage*. Can lead to serious disorienting, as one turn he's on your left and next he's on the opposite side. Flies.

Behaviour: Totally vicious. Comes right down for the character and flies over him repeatedly until he gets him down.

-----------------------

Name: Bloodhunter

Dexterity: mediocre

Attack type: Melee and ranged.

Special Abilities: Can suck blood from terrain/corpses, digests it, and spits it to the player. Takes some time to ready the attack. The blood will cause more pain than damage -> Perhaps it doesn't damage the character much but it hurts and distracts, and it's specially sticky.

Behaviour: If there are blood/corpses available, will go for them and will suck them to use his special ability. Otherwise tries to run from the character, but can attack melee if he finds himself without any retreat path available.

-----------------------

Name: (?)

Strength: poor

Attack type: Melee.

Special Abilities: Steals things from @. To recover them you must kill him so he drops them. Doesn't cause damage when stealing.

Behaviour: Acts as a servant for greater demons. Attacks in packs, steals and goes near his master (which should be hard to kill)

-----------------------
« Last Edit: January 06, 2007, 11:19 by Adral »

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2007, 11:34 »

Heh, TFoN is more inspired than me:P

Thanks ^^
I've just been waiting for an opportunity like this one, to let loose some of these ideas :)

While I'm at it,

Name: Kinslayer

Speed: good, but see below

Special abilities: mimics a common monster type, moving at that monster's rate or at its original rate, whichever's slower. It causes, ofcourse, more damage than expected. It does not avoid causing knockback - at that range it's too bloodthirsty to hold back. It's possible it will mimic by eating a monster, therefore it will most likely only mimic monsters it can catch up to (preventing noticable speed quirks), and certainly only a monster that may spawn at that time.

Behaviour: like mimiced monster, to the best of its ability. It does not retreat, unless eating is enabled, in which case it will retreat if seen "naked", and attack from a different direction once mimicing.

Adral

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2007, 12:56 »

Another one, albeit not original at all

Name: Skeleton (I told you it wasn't original :P)

Strength: good/fair
Dexterity: terrible/poor
Speed: mediocre at best

Attack type: melee (could have a ranged variant)

Special abilities: You must kill them with hard-hitting weapons. For example, the crossbow has no effect on them (the bolts just stick out) and the knives have little impact. Especially vulnerable against bombs and cannon, though, as they explode to bits. The normal sword, being so huge, deals normal damage to them.

Behaviour: They come in packs of several skeletons. Go at you slowly but unpaused, have little to no intelligence. Typical cannon fodder.

-----

Kornel, damn you for showing me Berserk. Now I'm addicted to that manga!

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2007, 09:45 »

If there're skeletons, then I suggest a lich-like monster, which aside from also being pierce-immune (still boney :P ) can reanimate fallen skeletons.

In context, I also suggest this:

Name: Spinedragoon

Description (so you see what I have in mind, and the source of the name):
Once assembled (see below), looks a little like a bone wyrm. Before that, like a group of untypically synchronised skeletons, and before that it looks like a thin mist, if it is seen at all.
In its first cycle, it floats around searching for fallen skeletons, taking their forms into into itself.
This brings it to its second cycle, where it leads several formerly animated skeletons in search of more. It keeps them looking like skeletons in order to avoid attracting attention (as far as that goes for the walking dead, anyway) while still weak compared to its potential.
It enters its last cycle once it has found enough matter from which to create its corporeal manifestation, and after entering a brief trance-like state where the bone-matter asserts itself into place, it takes on a new form - that of a huge, serpentine, wyrm-like mass of bones, sometimes with a "rider" at the "shoulders", one looking much like a hellish, bone-armor clad knight, fused at the waist to the rest of the beast.
Although it continues to collect bones into itself for more power, this is the final basic form it takes.
Although the "spirit" is the main force behind this beat, the bone matter, besides being a platform of its power, is also a source of it - the more bones, the more powerful, conscious and sensorily aware it is. Therefore, while it may carry the bones, and these may encumbre it in the second cycle due to the "mental" strain induced by the act, by the third cycle the power gained outweighs that lost, and it carries itself much better than ever before.
It is important to note that once the spirit form begins binding to skeletons, this cannot be reversed, and if all of them are destroyed a second time, the spirit form will die.

Strength: [cycle] 1 - none; 2 - as per skeletons; 3 - superb
Dexterity: 1 - legendary; 2 and 3 - good/great
Speed: 1 - good; 2 - fair; 3 - great

Attack type: melee. 3rd form might have a ranged "unholy blast" type of attack, related to its excess power (so it possibly drains the Spinedragoon's bonus HPs, see below).

Special abilities: see above. I assume mass collected in the final form will add to HPs.

Behaviour: 1 and 2 - tries to stay out of trouble, and collect bones. The first cycle may be attackless, but the second can use skeletons as they are (though likely with better stats). If Liches are included, or any other animating being, it will try to make it look as if the rising skeletons are the other's work, to avoid needless attention. It may even stop collection temporarily if the raising being's killed.
I'm not sure how many skeletons would be needed for the final cycle - too few, and it will be overpowered, but too many and the skeleton band'll be difficult to manage realistically. Maybe an inbetween form could be added, where there are many skeletons included, but not enough for the last cycle.
3 - nemesis incarnate, acts directly and intelligently to slay the char.

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2007, 10:27 »

I just remind you that monster ideas are always welcome ^_^
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Andell

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2007, 11:48 »

I have an idea. I know it's stupid but lets try!

Name: Werewolf

Strength: Average
Dexterity: Poor
Speed: Superb

Special abilities: If it's almost dead or hevily wounded it starts to eat corpses and heal itself ( i know its  disguisting, but what you can do if your ALMOST DEAD? )

Behaviour: What does a werewolf do? KILL YOU!

I think a letter like that : "W" could be a symbol of a werewolf. What vdo you think about that, Kornel??

Grats,
    Andell ( the kind of Berserk! noob :))

sn0rb

• Sergeant
  • Blue. Ninja. Needs. Wii. Badly.
    • View Profile
    • Random Ranting
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2007, 16:19 »

Take this with as much a grain of salt as you want- I'm beyond terrible at creating/statting enemies, ever since I first discovered RPG Maker '03. (^_^;

---Monster template---
Name: Succubus

Strength: Poor/Fair
Speed: Fair

Attack: Melee/Special (When she attacks and deals damage to Guts, she regains that much health.)

Special: Can blow Guts a kiss, which draws him towards her (and possibly other monsters!) and (maybe?) lowers his built up rage.

Behavior: When surrounded by a pack of tougher monsters, the succubus is brave- she blows Guts a kiss to draw him near, then she and her friends get to work. However, when she's alone, she hauls ass.

Character: Dark red "S"?
-----------------------

She's kinda intended as a bait type of character- she draws you in so the more powerful monsters can filet you.
Well, excuse me while I defy all laws of logic and science and do it anyway!

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2007, 12:18 »

Here're a few more :)

Name: Swordsong

Attack type: see below

Special abilities: the Swordsong has a melee attack which can be used from a distance, i.e. it is a ranged attack which ignores anything in its path, and doesn't lose accuracy for travel.

Behaviour: keeps its distance, and retreats when char closes in on it.

---

Name: Swordance

Special abilities: the Swordance is in an everlasting state of a Whirlwind attack. It also cannot spend a turn in the same spot, and therefore will never move into an occupied spot, though it causes double damage if cornered into such a situation (surprise! ;) )

Behaviour: mostly normal, though the special abilities make this innately different.

---

Name: Mindrape

Dexterity: poor

Attack type: ranged

Special abilities: I have three versions of this monster thought up here:
    1 - spawns with several monster illusions, based on whatever's around. They all then act normaly, while the Mindrape is disguised as one of them, and it can swap places (and form) with any of these at any time. It will often switch when hit, but will never switch into something that was just hit itself.
    2 - ability has a long casting duration, and when ended, sends char into a small arena-like room which is effectively the chars own mind. There, he must battle something: a horde of demons, a small group of out-of-depth demons, the Mindrape's psychic form (which is much more powerful than its body), or even himself. Once done, he returns to the battlefield. Problem is - while locked in his own mind, the body is left vulnerable to attacks, so this one'd be damn hard to survive unless he's a lone boss (plus, as a boss there'll be alot of room for a very unique Willpower-based "special level").
    3 - probably the simplest to implement, this version makes all other monsters invisible once he's in the char's LOS, and this can only be ended by killing the Mindrape - retreat is futile. Also, berserking is impossible within the Mindrape's grasp. LOS turns blue while under the effect, to signify the mindset of a violated psyche. The Mindrape might be a stealthy blue, or a burning, taunting red, depending on the Mindrape's "personality".

---

Name: Mantrap

Agility: fair
Speed: N/A

Special abilities: the Mantrap looks like a tree, sounds like a tree, and bites like Shai-Hulud.
This one can really get the player paranoid ;)
Every turn the player spends near a Mantrap, there's a chance of it attacking, and the more time it waits, the better the attack is aimed (part Mantrap preparation, part unsuspecting char - so the bonus to-hit may grow also when the char's no longer within range).

Behaviour: it often waits 4-5 turns before attacking, but if the player moves around alot, that could mean going past the same Mantrap several times before finally being bitten with lethal accuracy.

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2007, 15:59 »

When skies are dark, and night reigns true, my beasties come out for you!

Name: Kakkrashnakakkru

Special abilities: attack has a 20% chance of paralyzing for 1 turn. No biggie alone, but being hit 3, 5, or 8 times a turn can easily be lethal. Being paralyzed drains berserk momentum.

I'm not sure if this is a spider-like, vague humanoid, or a cunning goblinoid with venomous blades. Maybe both :)
Either way, skin is pitch-black, and there're more than 2 blazing eyes.

EDIT: the paralytic effect isn't supposed to stack, so you're unlikely to get too locked up.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 13:42 by TFoN »

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2007, 13:56 »

This one's inspired by one classic combined with the WC II: Frozen Throne mountain giant.

Name: Dead-Hulk

Description: cross an Ettin with a diabolical zombie.

Strength: superb

Attack type: melee*2 (two heads are better than one!)

Special abilities: 1- uproots trees for a stronger punch and for knockback unproportional to damage. It can carry up to two trees this way, each increasing one of its attacks.
2- has an aura of decay and an extreme stench, lowering a nearby enemy's ability to hit and his chances to dodge attacks, while doing the opposite for nearby undead. Has no effect on demons and their kin.

Adral

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2007, 15:23 »

I'll try with one!

---Monster template---
Name: Stone Giant

Strength: Superb
Dexterity: Poor
Speed: Mediocre/Poor

Attack: Melee and Ranged

Special: Can take a stone of the map to use as weapon (the character might change, or the color at least, to show this up at a single glance) When using a stone, deals double damage in melee, and can throw it to the player for normal damage, losing the stone (but he can take another one later)

Behavior: Goes for the nearest stone. Then, if he's near Gatsu, he'll come to him and bash him to a pulp, and if he's very far, he'll throw that stone. Either way, you are screwed :P

Description: A giant made of stone, with big muscles and a ugly face

-----------------------

Name: Thorn Elemental (there has to be a better name)

Strength: Poor
Dexterity: Fair
Speed: Fair

Attack: Melee

Special: When attacked in melee, causes damage to the player. When you are in Berserk mode, however, the attack is SO brutal that it doesn't have that much opportunity to damage the player (so you receive less damage if attacking him in berserk mode)

Behavior: Goes for Gatsu, unpaused.

Description: A plant-like critter, full of thorns and with large arms.

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2007, 04:20 »

(the character might change, or the color at least, to show this up at a single glance)
Color change sounds good, and should certainly work for my Dead-Hulk. I suggest a slightly darker hue, and in the case of multiple items, that's slightly darker for each one held.

And for that other dude's name, how about Thorns Beast? That would also give a feel of it being related to the ordinary beast, just for flavour.

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2007, 04:33 »

Name: Bloodworm

Character used: '.'

Special abilities: none :)
EDIT: weeell, maybe it should have the ability to change into ':' and '%' when it enters such a tile. But that took the sting out of the "none", didn't it?
EDIT II: ah, no, I got it: code-wise it will be iconless, but turn the tile it's standing on red. That'll take care of all types of ground, and it'll simply turn red blood red again.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 04:41 by TFoN »

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2007, 10:50 »

I'll every once in a while go into the Wizards of the Coast website for inspiration from the art gallaries.
This one's based directly on a certain illustration (I'd love to know if mine's anything like their's :P ):

Name: Crawling Head

Description: a formerly human head! It used to have a body, but the over-confident wizard that was it claimed his head's enough to deal with anything. Then he died, went to hell; now that's all he has. Apparently this happens quite often.

Special abilities: our wizards discover all too late that they could use the extra buff a body serves for. Although normally the forces of hell give no quarter, this is war, and as is war, they'll make exceptions for those hard workers. A Crawling Head can attach itself to another monster, which loses its [original] head, that shrivels up and dies. This done, it not only increases the monster's intelligence (that'll matter if varying types/degrees of AI'll be implemented), but it also regains some of its arcane capacity - *if* the new body has the limbs for it. Also, such a head'll have little respect for the body of another (some will never learn...), so if pain'll be implemented in monsters, it will have a lesser effect on the reheaded.
There is little danger for the char, however, of being beheaded by these nasty bastards: they're rather slow moving for one thing, but they are also demonic in essence, and require a demonic host for such a purely physical possession.

Behaviour: as heads they're rather skittish and nervous little rodents. Only the most foolhardy or panicked among them will attack a character directly, as although their mouths're disgusting and diseased, there's little immediate effect in a bite. They are most likely to avoid the char until they may possess a useful body. Once they've done this, they will regain their former arrogance and charge with all their might, brute force and arcane power alike.

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2007, 10:55 »

I should note that if anyone here other than Kornel wants to use [some of] my ideas, or has requests for new ones, go ahead - just let me know where it's going, first.
I've beasts aplenty and they want food and warm homes :)

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2007, 11:16 »

Just a note -- I read all ideas, and am eager to hear more :D. As you noted some of them have been used in this form or another.
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Adral

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2007, 11:48 »

I should note that if anyone here other than Kornel wants to use [some of] my ideas, or has requests for new ones, go ahead - just let me know where it's going, first.
I've beasts aplenty and they want food and warm homes :)

Yes, the same goes for my ideas. They are GPL'd :P

Just as I take credit where it's due, I have no problem with anyone using them!

And another monster, just for kicks:

Name: Giant Slime

Strength: Legendary
Dexterity: Terrible/Poor
Speed: Terrible

Attack: Melee

Special: Uses three map squares(!) The head is what moves and attacks, and the other parts just do the last movement of the head for part one and the last movement of the part one for part two. In other words, when the head moves a space, the next body piece instantly moves to the just emptied space and the next one moves to the now empty space. If it's not clear enough, please ask. :)

The first part, the head attacks, but to damage it you must attack its tail! So you have to avoid the head, which has a very strong attack and attack it from the rear.

Behavior: Dumb as hell, most probably. But since he's big and mean, it's no problem:P

Description: A giant slime, towering over other monsters. Has some horns and a soft body, but his skin is very tough everywhere except at the tail.

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2007, 12:06 »

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2007, 08:53 »

Here's an obvious alteration to an existing monster - the Geomancer. Same as Forester, but animates boulders and sections of wall into Rock Golems. Clear ground can be used to summon an earth elemental, but this should be powerful and very rare (possibly only done on low health, and destorys the Geomancer, making it a metamorphozis rather than a summoning). A nice aspect of this should be that if created (either way used) on bloody ground, it's colored red :)
Anyway, very low speed, very high HPs and damage, and can integrate rocks for health (alternatively or additionaly, it may slowly regenerate).

And, taking that Earth Elemental idea, this could be used with foresters to create Shambling Mounds off grassy terrain. These will have massive regenerative abilities as their main advantage, so they don't really need (or, in fact, shouldn't have) high HPs or damage. You simply have to kill it in a few turns, or you might as well not waste your time. Possibly, regeneration slows down while off grass.

Both transformations, once in effect, disable all previous summoning abilities.
(Edited very late, but I had just noticed how unclear the original text may have been)

Now, for a clean, new idea:

Name: Spirit Leech

Strength: terrible (if applicable; see below)

Attack type: special

Special abilities: attack semi-permanently drains 10-15 HPs, afterwhich the SL will attempt to escape off the map. This can only be reverted by chasing down and killing the SL, though while MaxHPs're fully regenerated by this, some minor damage is still taken. MaxHPs in Endless mode are regenerated at a rate of 10 points or so per night, as the wounded spirit heals itself. This may modify normal healing.

Behaviour: doesn't go directly for the char when attacking, and doesn't go directly for the exit grid when retreating. Acts more like a deranged, drunk fly would.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 08:26 by TFoN »

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2007, 13:05 »

Name: Varannhak

Description: an odd being that looks like a cross between a low-lying thick mist and a huge rat. It has an amorphic body, though a vague form resembling a rodent's snout is always present somewhere within it, with large, elongated eyes burning either a bright red or a sickly teal.

Attack type: melee (the form is more solid than it would possibly seem, and the attack is purely physical)

Special abilities: on attack the Varannhak spreads into additional tiles adjacent to the char: these aren't new monsters - these are the same creature and "they" share its statistics exactly. This serves to block the char's path, and it is indeed easier to block the path of one who has already surrounded himself with natural obstacles. Other monsters may walk across terrain covered by a Varannhak; it is still there, however, and if the other monster is killed, the Varannhak effectively reoccupies that space immediately.

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2007, 13:44 »

Ah, I thought about this one a while back: Phase Hounds should be renamed. They're currently almost the same as Blink Dogs, but not quite, so they might come across as rip-offs :)

Name: Garsh'maggnratht

Description: huge bastard. Barbed tentacles everywhere. Central, round mouth has many rows of disturbingly bleached teeth. No eyes and no feet - so how the hell is it moving right towards you like a stampeding, rabid hippo?
Did I mention it has a blue, human tongue?

Strength: poor (attacks don't seem very well cooridanted or at full power, but if you'd look like that, you wouldn't worry about sure-hits either)
Dexterity: superb

Attack type: multiple melee attacks

Special abilities: after a certain amount of consecutive hits and/or turns spent near an unmoving character, it takes a bite. Who knows what that might do.

Behaviour: psychopathic. It is believed that these monsters are the gift of body for those murdering mortals that manage to cause more havoc in life than most demons cause in an eternity. As such, the bleeched teeth symbolize a wholeness of action followed by a thorough coverup, and the blue tongue symbolizes guile and vanity of a royal degree - while its form stands as a constant reminder of the demon's true position as a once-mortal.
They've changed very little (well, talk about positive reinforcement), and will still butcher whatever they see fit, however they fancy at that very moment.

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2007, 11:07 »

Could yall' please give some feedback on the quality of my monsters? I'd hate to be the only one enjoying this so much ;)

Name: Shrapnel Toad

Description: a vaguely humanoid grey-green, black-streaked toad-like creature with large black eyes and eerie red pinpoint pupils. It has a slightly sloped posture, with forearms larger and more powerful-looking than its legs, though they do not touch ground like an ape's. Its head is quite massive compared with the rest of the body, and is snake-like in its ability to open much wider than is apparent. It has 3 horned ridges (with horns of overall receding size) on its back, the first starting on the left side of the center of the head and ending somewhat beneath the shoulder, the second starting at the center of the neck and continuing down the spine all the way to the lower back, and the third starting on the right, just above of the waist, ending near the back of the right knee as small and unobtrusive bumps. All horns are a sickly off-white in colour. It also has a muscular tail, of a darker hue than the rest of the body, and with thick black spots rather than streaks.

Special abilities: swallows corpses (or animated skeletons) and after a brief period of digesting (or almost immediately, if it was a skeleton), it violently exudes bone shards out to a short, lethal and awfully stenchful cone.

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2007, 04:43 »

I check this topic for adding new monsters ^_^.

BTW, I'll give a taste of things to come, by showing the scheme for further monsters. From now on please think about which group the monster will belong too. On the top there will be three monster groups. I need inspiration only for the last group tough:

1. Uniques
2. Named Demons
3. Standard Monsters

What 1 and 2 will be, I'll leave a mystery now :). As for the third group, this one will depend on the battleground. Think Magic: The Gathering style bestiary ^_^. There are a few monster classes that I play around on adding, here's the list:

Standard class: these will appear on all non-themed battlefields, like the plains, roads, and cities
City class: I'm not sure about those, but these would be unique to cities. Some ideas include ratwere's or former townsmen :P
Forest class: a few of those were experimentaly added already
Swamp class: I'm still thinking about those
Fire class: for lava pits, ash fields, and volcano locations (yeah, I plan some of those xD
Water class: as an additional class for maps with water (either swamps, rivers, or maybe even a shore?)
Snow class: this one will be hard to introduce without the concept of time, but Berserk PS2 had them, and I like the idea (also a tribute to Frozen Depths ^_^)
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2007, 15:29 »

Never really played Magic, so you'll have to be a little more informative there :)

I'll work with all this in mind. Here're my takes on it so far:

City: should be seperate from what currently seems more like a village!
Either way, I suggest playing on the crowded, agoraphobic feel of a synthetic microcosm, and on the dark sense of abandonment - shadow beasts, possessed animals like fiendish cats and crows, and animated tools and vines should really fit in well, even more so if they ignore you till you come close (which you might have to do).

Swamp: Varannhak sounds swampish, and other than it, I'm sure I'll be able to think up something really disgusting for this one ^^

Fire: sweeet. Will certainly keep in mind.

Water: likewise, especially if there'll be a shore.

Snow: why time? Take a mountain top! Oh, hellish winds! I'll find something to fit the name Gustdamns, or Maulwinds (playing on maul also meaning bite, and bite fitting with "biting cold". Hmmm).

EDIT: text corrections.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2007, 16:28 by TFoN »

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2007, 16:42 »

Not too special. I may alter it later, if I come up with anything better.

Name: Maulwind

Dexterity: poor (to reflect being somewhat easy to dodge by side-stepping)

Attack type: melee (+ cold, if applicable. Maybe paralytic by chilling and/or knocking over?)

Special abilities: immune to missiles, resistant to powerful physical blows (it's a very low-density being, but it's not quite air, and is nonetheless tangible - and slicable). Explosions disperse it very effectively.
The Maulwind has a charge attack, but not a normal one. Is [nearly] invisible. Regenerates.

Behaviour: demonic warrior - will attack with intention to kill.

Gezol

• Private FC
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2007, 22:41 »

I missed this topic when it was first posted, so I'm glad to see suggestions are still being taken.  I have a few ideas, but here's the first I've finished writing up.

Name: Corpsepuppet

Description: The reanimated corpse of a freshly slain human- this would be a City type monster. A mostly undecayed zombie, in essence. Not much more to say, but they don't...

Behavior: ...act like you would expect of a zombie- they are fast, strong, and fierce, much more so than they were in life. Although aggressive, they are clearly not mindless- they always seek to be around groups of other demons, and retreat if badly injured. Once slain, their secret is revealed...

Special Abilities: ...when one is killed, a graveworm appears out of the corpse.

Name: Graveworm

Strength: terrible
Dexterity: terrible

Attack type: N/A

Description: A hideous, two-foot long demonic worm, black and slimy. Though disgusting and fearsome to behold, they are extremely weak- they cannot attack, and one solid blow is usually more than enough to kill one. They are, obviously, the controlling force within the corpsepuppets.

Behavior: Incapable of attacking, they try to put as much distance between themselves and the player as they can while they search for a fresh corpse to burrow into. This is another reason why corpsepuppets always seek to be part of a group of other demons- any demons that die nearby will make for an easily accessible corpse in the event that the graveworm needs one. As well, the other demons can shield the graveworm while it does this.

Special Abilities: able to burrow into a corpse and reanimate it as a corpsepuppet. This takes a turn to do, and requires a fresh corpse.

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2007, 12:07 »

Bah, haven't been nearly as productive as I had intended to be :P
I'll probably get back to working here in a few days, up to a week or two.
That also goes for the wiki.

Zephyre Syx

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2007, 20:46 »

I love the fact that the monsters discuss are most lively and not pallad as in blah blah meatsticks with more hp, and damage then the other and carry a monster type.  Great job (I was kinda worried).
"Nah, it's not that those ideas are bad, I'm just trying to show you why I think my way of thinking is better."
-Kornel Kisielewicz

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2007, 09:34 »

IMO this should be the only way monsters are discussed, anywhere! A major part of game life is in the creatures - and creatures are only "creatures", and not numbers, if they're taken seriously and with a love of creation :)

While I'm at it, a small conjuration of mine for the ash fields. It may require some work in terms of corporeal form and combat accessability.

Name: Everfell

Description: a unique form of possessing spirit, this one hails, literally, from those icy parts of the nether realm, though only unto the firy locations of the world of the living. It is a large, dark, misty figure of eerie black smoke and of whispering frost - frost of spirit, ice of soul.
This abomination of common sense is possessing in that it envelopes bits of airborne ash, products of its earthly home, consuming their lingering warmth to feed its form in a paradox of chilling flames, and then lashing out at the living with this black hail, freezing their hearts in mid-beat to feed its diabolic lust for life energies.
The monster itself is hardly tangible, and can be managed almost solely by fire aimed from the hands of one who's heart and aim are true to destroy the beast, breaking the second nature it casts upon its surroundings, forcing it to submit, and melt away. By such actions, however, it is hardly a durable opponent, being destroyed with ease.

Attack type: N/A. The Everfall is a being not existing on the same dimensions as the char does, though in the same world. It can only set foot on the chars dimensions by very certain procedures of inanimate object possession, described above and transliterated into game effect below.

Special abilities:
 1- as long as the Everfell stands up to a certain distance from the char, the char will occasionally be struk by frost and/or be stunned and/or lose energy/berserk momentum. The closer the Everfell is and the more HPs it has, the more often this will happen and the more likely it will be that more than one attack type will occur.
 2- every time the Everfall causes damage to the char, it gains some health. This health can go above the health the Everfall spawned with.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 01:39 by TFoN »

Santiago Zapata

• Temple Guardian
  • Backer
  • First Lieutenant
  • Roguelike Developer
    • View Profile
    • Slashie.net
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2007, 16:53 »

Name: Wangamai

Description: a member of the Wangamai sect, evil sages of darkness, vanquishers of all hopes for a better future. They are shaddy figures robbed in black and their heads covered. An aura of darkness surrounds them. Wangamai's words are true and can't be discussed, as their reasonings are beyond our understanding.

Dexterity: mediocre

Attack type: melee, but rarely uses it (has a serpentine dagger for emergencies)

Special abilities:
 1- just by glaring at the char, the char will lose half their berserk count randomly as it is discoraged from fighting
 2- if another Wangamai is adjacent, they can perform a frost shock
Slash (Castlevania, Metroid, Drash, ZeldaRL)
Temple of The Roguelike
Slashie.net

Nentator-H

• Private FC
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2007, 00:53 »

maybe these have already been suggested,but I'm on my way out and dont have time to see all replys...anyway
[1]a monster that explodes when dealt a killing blow resulting in something or nothing but an area of blood'n'guts.
[2]a demon whos attack sucks u into a "void" seperate from the main map,where its just u and the demonic force in one-on-one cmbt.
[3]a creature that dose no attack dmg but attachs itsself to u making it hard to move(like a small dog humping ur leg?)
[4]a powerful wizard of the ether dimensions who cares not one bit if it slays ANY creature on the map and floats randomly about,obliterating any who stand adjacent?
[5]I once created a "Setframal" (i was gm and my bro was pc),the "Setframal" assumes the appearance and stats of the player and,like the terminator,does'nt stop until it or player are reduced to pools of blood on the ground!
[6]a creature that rises from its corpse to fight again like raising the dead?
[7]a demonic sprite that can assume different forms in reaction to players attacks..eg,pc throws fireball at sprite,sprite turns into a wall of flame for 1 turn...or pc charges sprite with sword,sprite grows wings and flys overhead....etc.
[8]a monster that multiplys by two every time u hit it,(multiplies into smaller versions of itself like the blue horror in warhammer frp!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2007, 01:52 by Nentator-H »

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2007, 06:28 »

Hey, 7's a Haggunenon! :P
Hm. That will certainly hurt.
What did you have in mind as its vulnerability?

Nentator-H

• Private FC
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2007, 23:36 »

Hey TFoN...
            It's vunerability could be that it actually takes 2 rounds to change BACK to its normal form allowing a free strike or a bonus etc...

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2007, 09:12 »

Not too special. I may alter it later, if I come up with anything better.

Name: Maulwind

Dexterity: poor (to reflect being somewhat easy to dodge by side-stepping)

Attack type: melee (+ cold, if applicable. Maybe paralytic by chilling and/or knocking over?)

Special abilities: immune to missiles, resistant to powerful physical blows (it's a very low-density being, but it's not quite air, and is nonetheless tangible - and slicable). Explosions disperse it very effectively.
The Maulwind has a charge attack, but not a normal one. Is [nearly] invisible. Regenerates.

Behaviour: demonic warrior - will attack with intention to kill.

Add to special abilities:
Missile weapons (crossbow and knives) either can't be used or lose accuracy (to the point of firing in a random direction) when fired from or through a tile adjacent to the Maulwind.

This should make it slightly more special and worth notice.

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2007, 09:44 »

Here's an aquatic monster so huge I needed to dismantle it and present it in separate pieces. The following description assumes a shore encounter. A modified swamp version and a modified mid-sea would require many design changes.

Name: Kraken tentacle

Special abilities: it is long enough to stretch out beyond the shore line, where the body is, ending 10-20 tiles away. I assume in this description that it is only represented by a single character, where the end of the tentacle would be.
Knockback is reverse, i.e. damage caused by a tentacle stretching out from the shore, therefore attacking from the direction of the shore, will push the char towards the shore instead of away from it.
If a tentacle attaches (which happens if it hits during several consecutive rounds and/or after causing over a certain amount of damage in one hit), the char can no longer walk, and the tentacle will always be adjacent to him, even after knockback accures. This can only be reversed by "killing" the tentacle.
There are 2-4 tentacles per Kraken.

Behaviour: standard. Special abilities will indirectly result in the tentacle leading the char to the body.

---

Name: Kraken arm

Attack type: melee (little or no damage)

Special abilities: not nearly as long as a tentacle, it stretches 4-8 tiles beyond the shore.
Acts and attacks like a tentacle, effectively increasing pull on the char and increasing the number of targets which must be disabled in order to regain mobility, but without increasing immediate threat and damage caused (much, anyway).
There are 6-12 arms per Kraken.

---

Name: Kraken body

Speed: fair (if applicable)

Special abilities: it is either at the very edge of the shore line or just behind it. If behind it, a trapped char may suffer drowning damage while it is being pulled towards the gaping maw.
The kraken bites with its beak for pretty massive damage. After bite damage is applied (and therefore only on a successful hit), a "swallow whole" check is made. The kraken will swallow whole a char who's under a certain number of HPs, resulting in instadeath only in those cases where the char is already low on health. If swallowed while berserking, which by this account is possible, 1-3 more attacks (regular or skill attacks; number based on speed) may be done before death accures. Sweep/whirlwind and impale attacks are at an advantage, with impale possibly bursting out even if the Kraken survives and sweep/whirlwind causing double and quintuple damage, respectively.

Thomas

• DoomRL Wiki and Testing Ops
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Major General
  • How's it going?
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2007, 03:57 »

<Thread>: Rez?
<Thomas>: Sure, gimme a sec.

Name: Daemonic wolf/Grand beast/whatever

Strength: Fair
Dexterity: Mediocre
Speed: Good

Special Abilities: After focusing for 2 turns, it can launch a devistating flurry of attacks as well as increase its strength and dexterity to Great until its attack is over.

Behaviour: It chases you down and attacks, much like the simple mind of the beast. But if it notices that you have bigger problems then it'll focus its power (at which point you might want to deal with it).

Name: Shapeshifter

Strength: A bit worse than yours.
Dexterity: A bit worse than yours.

Special Abilities: Can copy everything about you, down to the sword.

Behaviour: Once it sees you it spends a few turns copying you. Then it charges you, sword drawn. While it's copying you it's very vulnerable, with terrible strength and poor dexterity. Because of this it stays far away from walls, which might stop it from seeing you until its too late.

If you're only a few squares away, it wont bother trying to copy you. It'll run away until you stop chasing it.

Name: Spectral magi

Strength: Terrible
Dexterity: Great

Attack type: Ranged.

Special Abilities: Immunity to non-elemental projectiles (Knives and your crossbow)
                      Freeze spell, that makes you unable to move for a few turns.

Behaviour: The spectral magi is very smart. It will freeze you when you're surrounded, or near a shapeshifter and keep its distance, darting for cover if it notices you charging it. Defeating one takes a lot of itelligence and luck, so they're very rare. Even later in the game.

And, should bosses be added:

Name: The slaughterer

Strength: Superb (Don't get too close!)
Dexterity: Fair
Speed: Mediocre

Attack type: Melee. Although it's so big that melee means 2 squares away or less for it.

Special Abilities: Golf shot (Fore!) Huge knockback, but hardly any damage.
                      His 3 fairydusts heal him to the next HP level (Almost dead-Mortally wounded or something)

Behaviour: Stands still until you see it. (It's hard to miss, being 3x3 tiles and everything) Then it trash talks you, about how you're going to be pummeled in to the ground and stuff. Then it walks towards you, and attacks if you get close. It only uses fairydust if you're far away, so if you squeeze up in between the slaughterer and a tree, you might not be hit 6 squares back by his golf shot, and he wont heal..
Note that because he's so huge, the crossbow almost can't miss and is rather effective. Maybe you shouldn't engage him in melee at all.
Arch-Vile Chaos Major Thomas
[26/26/26/25/9/1]
Medals: 35/43 Specials: 69/67 Assemblies: 36/40

UnderAPaleGreySky

• Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
  • Chaos Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 05, 2009, 05:32 »

Okaaaay, not sure if these are already in it, but I've been reading Berserk! and just finished the troll attack on the town (forgot the name, just before Casca and Farneze are captured by the trolls)

Name: Troll

Strength: Good
Speed: Good

Attack Type: Melee

Special Abilities: Strength in numbers - when more than 3 (maybe more?) are visible, gains a small bonus to strength

Behaviour: Hunts in packs. Big packs.

---

Name: Ogre

Strength: Superb
Speed: Mediocre

Attack Type: Melee

Secial Abilities: Throw - If next to a tree, may choose to uproot it and throw it (may be hard to code), can use corpses as well.
Stomp - stomps the ground, stunning every living thing in view for a short time -- non stack-able

Behaviour: Will get frustrated when injured to a certain point, and ignore its special abilities
Under a pale grey sky, we shall arise.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]