Chaosforge Forum

• April 27, 2024, 11:46
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: random secret areas/level end screen  (Read 3002 times)

nokturnal

• Corporal
    • View Profile
random secret areas/level end screen
« on: January 07, 2007, 06:09 »

now i know there are some secret areas already, but they're all static, right?
doom & doom2 had loads of secret areas, so i was thinking about how this could be applied in doomrl..
haven't come up with a real solid idea yet, so thoughts on this is welcome.
since all maps (at least as far as i've played :P)) are limited to the screen you see, i was thinking that you could put it sort of 'under the floor', an older thread i read, concerning keys and vaults came to mind..
secret floor vaults, could be hidden initially, and only seen after blowing up barrels over the spot.
or the spot could be hidden in rooms that are initially filled with lava/water/acid, revealed when pushing a button or such..
the only other way to place secrets, i could think of right on the spot, was having the secrets off screen, so the screen would actually scroll once you enter.. no idea if it would work well tho.

and the content then .., maybe stuff like the computer map, berserk and supercharge could be found here, and lessened in non-secret areas?

now this idea led me to the second one in the topic. if secrets were applied, it would be really cool to have level ending screens like in the originals, with kill, item and secret percentages. and a beautiful ascii map with a 'you are here ----->' :)

thoughts?

Adral

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: random secret areas/level end screen
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2007, 07:02 »

since all maps (at least as far as i've played :P)) are limited to the screen you see, i was thinking that you could put it sort of 'under the floor', an older thread i read, concerning keys and vaults came to mind..
secret floor vaults, could be hidden initially, and only seen after blowing up barrels over the spot.
or the spot could be hidden in rooms that are initially filled with lava/water/acid, revealed when pushing a button or such..
If secrets are going to be implemented, I'd go with this approach.

the only other way to place secrets, i could think of right on the spot, was having the secrets off screen, so the screen would actually scroll once you enter.. no idea if it would work well tho.
No, it wouldn't work, because it would lead to metagaming - to uncover secret areas you'd just go search at the edge of the map.

if secrets were applied, it would be really cool to have level ending screens like in the originals, with kill, item and secret percentages. and a beautiful ascii map with a 'you are here ----->' :)
Even if secrets do not get applied, this could be a cool addition! Just skip the "secrets" part :) Also, ASCII maps FTW :P
Paranoia is a very comforting state of mind. If you think they're out to get you, it means you think you matter

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile
Re: random secret areas/level end screen
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2007, 15:08 »

DoomRL's ment to be a one-screen-map kind of game, and I think it's best kept that way to avoid further balancing issues, but
the spot could be hidden in rooms that are initially filled with lava/water/acid, revealed when pushing a button or such
sounds more than reasonable IMO.
But for this I suggest adding a 2nd type of lever, with its own ups and downs, 'cause after a certain level there's no way I'm touching a lever without Intuition for fear of certain death (5 barons surrounding you are bad at any level of skill) - but I don't want to rely on Intuition so heavily just so I can enjoy the "secrets" aspect of the game.
Maybe different lever danger levels/types could be used, and those that might drain the fluids from one room might fill yours instead. Monster summoning could then be paired with especially massive vault unveiling.
You could then, if this is somehow unbalancing, have a one-rank basic trait with a logic motif to it, which enables recognizing lever types, but not if they're dangerous/beneficial. Hardcore explorers won't mind wasting a trait in their later XPlvls for this one, considering they won't have to go EE(2) to get it.
Or you could make Intuition a 2-ranker with this here Logic as a basic trait and prerequisit, together with EE(2).
Pages: [1]