Chaosforge Forum

• April 18, 2024, 08:31
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Save anytime  (Read 7713 times)

Brewtal Legend

• Second Lieutenant
  • I am Hellbound
    • View Profile
Save anytime
« on: January 15, 2007, 12:51 »

I think it would be great if the player was allowed to save at anytime they wanted to. Similar to the original. It would be a lot less frustrating when I'm playing a game but something comes up and I have to stop. I would rather be able to just save and leave instead of having to find the exit then save without completely exploring the level. Then load my game and I'm on the next level when I would have liked to finish the one I was on. I think the game would benefit greatly from being able to save anytime like in nethack or rogue.

-Legend
-Legend

Adral

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Save anytime
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2007, 14:43 »

I second this feature, if possible. Sometimes you have to leave the computer and most times then you have to skip part of the level to find the stairs.

Edit: Now makes more sense:P
« Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 14:48 by Adral »
Paranoia is a very comforting state of mind. If you think they're out to get you, it means you think you matter

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2007, 14:47 »

Sounds to me that would make savescumming too potent.
I suggest making autosave .ini definable, so that it will save before you go down stairs.
Yeah, you might have to then start a level over, but roguelikes are cruel that way :P

Adral

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2007, 14:54 »

Sounds to me that would make savescumming too potent.
I suggest making autosave .ini definable, so that it will save before you go down stairs.
Yeah, you might have to then start a level over, but roguelikes are cruel that way :P

Actually, this also sounds as a good idea. Having to repeat a level might even have some benefits... :P

Note that this can also be savescummed, but I think that if people really want to savescum, then they'll find a way around whatever option that is set. I think we're better putting options for people who want to play normal, and if someone savescum it's just because they wanted to.

While they state they did it at their mortems, I have no problems with savescumming, though.
Paranoia is a very comforting state of mind. If you think they're out to get you, it means you think you matter

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2007, 14:58 »

Of course it can be savescummed, I'm just after band rehersal and a day out, and don't notice simple things :P
It can be scummed terribly... Bah...
Forget I said anything ^^

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2007, 15:05 »

About scumming -- the more people talk about it as "normal" the less people will want to give the standard type of game a try. Playing permadeath is in the beginning (and very long beginning!) very frustrating. It's only after many many games, that you learn to value it. If we talk on the forums (and save God! in the game itself) less and less people will discover the joy of non-scummed games. So I am fully AGAINST any help for scummers. I am also midly against posting scummed YAVPs -- idealy I'd like to restrict those to UBER challenge things like Blade does.

Now to the Save/Load anytime... I agree that it would be nice... but the way that DoomRL is written, it is a lot more work than you can imagine. I'd give a comparision -- for the next version I could implement Save/Load OR redesign the AI so it is smarter, doesn't go over lava, does tactics, and behaves real cool. Which one you'd like to see first, heh?
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Blade

• Tester
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
    • Upyachka
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2007, 15:21 »

Of course Save/Load!!

I so like to save, go for a walk, load, do 2 steps and 1 shot, save, go to sleep, load, and so...

But mostly i love to save in Nightmare!(tm). Ooh, it's true never ending pleasure for me!!

Just kidding, i want to see moment, when zombies will be so intelligent, that if you leave them for a moment, they will begin to build their zombie society, with little houses and candy trees. And they will promenade with zombie girls, have home imp, and they will grow little Lost Souls, as their zombie childs.

Just kidding. I'm playing generally from 3 a.m. to 7 a.m., so i don't have urgency at this time to leave computer and go somewhere, so i'm fully for new brains for our dumb foes.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 15:55 by Blade »
Low orbit ion cannon damaged my brain!!1
Now i'm an idiot!1 Kill me, somebody!!11

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2007, 15:27 »

Lol, Blade -- the amount of sarcasm and irony in your post made it completely unreadable and I can't figure out what was the point you were trying to make xD
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Brewtal Legend

• Second Lieutenant
  • I am Hellbound
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2007, 15:28 »

I vote for the save/load feature first. The game's fairly tough as it is at the moment. But I would definitely like to see smarter AI later on.

-Legend
-Legend

Adral

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2007, 15:41 »

Blade: I cannot see your point also. But I think nobody proposed save/load, in the typical sense: I understood it as a "save anytime you want like in nethack", which is fine to me.

Here:
I think the game would benefit greatly from being able to save anytime like in nethack or rogue.

Kornel: Yes, I understand. I NEVER savescummed. Never, not even playing Adom, Nethack, Crawl... I know that if the game is built to play it in a way, it's because it's best that way. I know it hurts when you die, but surely you also learn a lot from those deaths. That's why I favour permadeath. I don't want save/load (in the classical sense) on a roguelike EVER.

But I also understand that people will always savescum, and if they get their best enjoyment from a game that way, then you really can't do anything about it. It's really all a matter of opinion, after all. That's why I say that it would be best to focus in what the people that play the game as intended want - after all savescum is cheating, and if savescummers want to do it, let them do it - just don't brag about it. It's not like it's an online game, where your actions (cheating) cost the other players enjoyment.

And if coding it is really so hard, I'm all in for better AI :P Saving on every moment just would be nice from when I'm in a quick run on the game and don't have time to finish the current level.

Of course, save on every moment != save/load.

GenTechJ

• Tester - DoomRL Staff
  • Elder
  • Sergeant
  • Hail to the king baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2007, 18:01 »

I like the idea too, as I hate having to find the stairs and not fully explore a level if something pops up at home. As for the savescumming, tried it once (see my postmortem dump), hated it, and have gone back to permadeath. Sure I was able to get the bfg and what not through savescumming, but I await the thrill of finding one without cheating. So I agree with Kornel and Adral and others who've brought up the anti-ssing points, it does in fact ruin the game, and had I done it from the beginning and kept doing it, I wouldn't be anywhere near as good (which isn't too good compared to some of the other Doomers on here) as I am now.

bfg9001

• Elder
  • First Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2007, 17:46 »

I vote for smarter AI! It'd make the game more challenging, yet more fun.

xwdishere

• Private FC
  • Now I'm radioactive! That can't be good!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2007, 18:41 »

Just allow a .ini option for autosaving, set to off by default. It seems to be the easiest to implement, and it will allow people to quit levels quickly if they need to.

But AI which builds civilizations would be good too. Maybe have them starting to construct a city of hell on some levels... :P

Fingerzam

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2007, 06:19 »

My vote goes for improved AI. Saving at any time isn't that important if its that much work, and it can always be done later.

Getix

• Corporal
  • Always forgive, never forget.
    • View Profile
    • Getix's Blog
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2007, 15:19 »

I vote for smarter AI! It'd make the game more challenging, yet more fun.

I fully agree with BFG9001.
http://getix.wordpress.com
Personal, Trance & Roguelike blog.
Pages: [1] 2  All