Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 07:09
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: So I was in the process of making a video featuring this game when...  (Read 2968 times)

Ghaleon

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile

I haven't played this game in a while because I've been swamped with new ones I wanna try, and being the hardcore general gamer I am, I actually make a habit of trying new stuff as much as possible.

That said I am in the mood for making noobtacular lets-play-esque videos featuring some of my fave indie/doujin games, and DoomRL was one of the first that came to mind. I wasn't intended to make the video only if I "won" per say, but I was rather upset with how my game ended. Even after watching it over and over I really can't see what I did wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvOVprVw4bY&feature=youtu.be

I cropped the entire thing to just my death moments, if some vets can tell me what I did wrong I appreciate it... Summarized. I was at the bruiser brothers boss floor, and trigger that initial ambush at the start... Normally what I do is enter run mode and book it to the door with all the health pickups and stuff if needed (and they often are).

Normally, as soon as I get ambushed, the lost souls activate their "charge like a bullet to the point I fly right past you if you attempt to dodge me like a bullet" thing, and I end up only taking a few odd hits from  a demon or two as I reach the door and can proceed to blast them at the bottleneck.

however, this time, the lost souls, right out the ambush, surrounded me in 3 different corners, and if I moved in any direction, they would collide into each other, stopping their charge like a bullet mode...right next to me... I thought, maybe they wont for some technical mechanic reason...so I tried running straight left anyway in hopes they would fly past.. well they didn't.. all 3 proceeded to stay right behind my heels munching all the way, and then the demons caught up, and they did too. And with this giant mass behind me, the caco demons, even if they missed, would hit someone behind me, and I'd take the blast...

As far as I could tell, I was doomed and there was nothing I could do, and as far as I could tell, I never even made a mistake. I was at full health. I just don't know what to do about that. Any advice?

Incidentally, if someone thinks "you should have tac boots/armor".. the game never gave me a 2nd agility mod yet (actually pretty normal, I always get like 4 bulk/technical for every 1 agility/power, qq)

Thomas

• DoomRL Wiki and Testing Ops
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Major General
  • How's it going?
    • View Profile

Aside from getting a bit unlucky, there are a few things I saw:

1. You didn't really have a plan for this. You should've been in running mode to begin with and/or had your rocket launcher out ready for a jump.
2. You hammered the left button a few times in a row. With enemies so close on your tail, you should've stopped to think about left vs. downleft vs. upleft as options.
3. Using a medpack didn't work out, as you saw. Your armor had been shredded and medpacks turn off running mode, so your melee protection after that move was 0. Running mode is so important that your chances would've honestly been better if you just went for the door and hoped for lucky dodges.
4. I wonder if running to the right would've been better? You could've closed the door behind you, healed up and corner-shot everything from that side. It would've at least meant that your first two moves didn't include brushing by a couple of lost souls.
Arch-Vile Chaos Major Thomas
[26/26/26/25/9/1]
Medals: 35/43 Specials: 69/67 Assemblies: 36/40

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile

First off, I think the fact that those three lost souls were right next to you at the beginning was just bad luck that they happened to simultaneously charge as their first move.  (It didn't help that you weren't running at the time)  Also, as Thomas said, when you used the med pack, it turned off running and you were back to walking speed; if you had turned running back on, you probably could have made it.  Of course, the biggest mistake was using the Arena Master's Staff.  It does too little damage to be of use and it means that you're standing still for a full second, leaving them free to pound on you with the highest chance to hit.  Personally, I almost never use it.

Aside from that, as Thomas said, this is one of those situations where using the rocket-jump feature of the rocket launcher is a huge benefit.  (possibly while wearing the red armour to cut down the fire damage)  Alternately, a phase device in this situation will help you more often than not.  (though, you didn't have one, so that doesn't help you here)  Finally, depending on your build, a level or two in Hellrunner will be a huge help right here.

2. You hammered the left button a few times in a row. With enemies so close on your tail, you should've stopped to think about left vs. downleft vs. upleft as options.

I think he did okay, regarding moving diagonally.  With Cacodemons on both diagonals, moving straight left is actually appropriate.
Apostle Chaos Lt. General (0.9.9.7)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]
Check out my Youtube channel for videos of me playing DRL!  :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXOijubEijdnrOja0kxXTKQ/videos

Ghaleon

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile

Thanks guys! I completely forgot about rocket jump! I will be sure to have a rocket launcher ready for that part of the game from now on and will make things much better in every future run bad luck or not!

As for not running to begin with, I actually normally do but I haven't played this game for a few months and goofed up the ambush point, I was GOING to hit run on my next step, doh...

And going to the right instead of left, I was thinking about that, but tbh I have no clue if that would have been a good idea or not since I can't recall if the bottleneck to the right is that much further away or not. Rocket jumping is definitely a lightbulb moment though.

As for phase devices, one never dropped, and tbh I probably wouldn't have held on to it that early in the game anyway, I never ever found myself ever even possibly needing one until mid deimos, and even then I often don't. I DID get a shockwave device in like floor 3 or something goofy early like that, go figure.

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
  • High Caliber Consecrator
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries

As for phase devices, one never dropped, and tbh I probably wouldn't have held on to it that early in the game anyway

I tend to hold on to one (or two if possible) for the Anomaly, especially if I'm playing a game that disallows the use of a rocket launcher. If you manage to phase into the middle room, between the ambush and the brothers, you can use the rightmost door as a choke point to deal with the former, walk back to the starting room to restock then go for the latter.

Other than that, I think Thomas and Tormuse seem to have everything covered.
[0.9.9.7G] Current: Hell Knight 1st Lieutenant [20/12/4/0/0/0]
High: Arch-Vile Lt. Colonel [25/21/12/2/1/0]
Pages: [1]