Chaosforge Forum

• April 19, 2024, 20:22
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: [H|AoI/AoOC|27%|YAVP] - Testing My Patience for finally getting Major Rank  (Read 4080 times)

Arron Syaoran

• Sergeant
  • Former Android(Now Human) Assassin
    • View Profile

As it says, I played Angel of Impatience with Angel of OC on HMP. For the most part, I focused on getting down to hell 8 asap while staying alive. The run itself wasn't much merit(I played an Intuition Scout to rush stairs), and I picked up an additional shell box, a rocket launcher and a plasma rifle, all of which were low on ammo(except my minigun and shell boxes). I was down to like 28% Health when I faced Mastermind(with only Green Armor and no healing options or invincibility), and I thought I was gonna die. Then I started to abuse Corner Shooting with my minigun until it ran out of ammo, switched to plasma rifle and did the same. Meanwhile I used Intuition to keep track of the Mastermind's location, and danced around a pillar until the Mastermind was in the right position to shoot without getting hit. I got hit once, which brought me down to 4% Health, and had to switch to shotgun in the end, and it took several dozen hits(one hit and i'm dead), but I did it. Got both Eagerness Gold and Silver, as well as Major Rank(YAY!), but nothing else. The 27% kills was because I skipped most of the enemies. I desperately hope none of this gets nerfed in the future, especially if there's ever a Badge Reset. Every Remaining Gold Badge IS too hard for me. I get obliterated if I even try UV/N!, especially since I really suck at Radar Shooting(especially without shotguns/intuition), and find the necessity for radar shooting rather tedious.
--------------------------------------------------------------
 DoomRL (0.9.9.7) roguelike post-mortem character dump

Arron Syaoran,
 level 3 Hell Baron Captain Scout,
 defeated the Mastermind at the City of Dis.
 He survived 25331 turns and scored 21910 points.
 He played for 28 minutes and 26 seconds.
 He wasn't afraid to be hurt plenty.

He killed 54 out of 197 hellspawn. (27%)
 Who gave him the ticket to Hell, anyway?
 He was an Angel of Impatience!
 He was also an Angel of Overconfidence!

-- Special levels --------------------------------------------

Levels generated : 4
  Levels visited   : 1
  Levels completed : 0

-- Awards ----------------------------------------------------

Eagerness Silver Badge
  Eagerness Gold Badge

-- Graveyard -------------------------------------------------

###########################################################
  ####................................#####################>#
  ###...............####...............######################
  ##.......####.....####.....####.......#####################
  #........####.....####.....####........####################
  .........####.....####.....####..%......###################
  .........####..............####..........##################
  ..........................................#################
  ..####............................####....#################
  .&####............................####....#################
  ..................................X.......#################
  .........####..............####..........##################
  .........####.....####.....####.........###################
  #........####.....####.....####........####################
  ##.......####.....####.....####.......#####################
  ###...............####...............######################
  ####................................#####################>#
  ###########################################################

-- Statistics ------------------------------------------------

Health 2/50   Experience 2704/3
  ToHit Ranged +0  ToHit Melee +0  ToDmg Ranged +0  ToDmg Melee +0

-- Traits ----------------------------------------------------

Class : Scout

Tough as nails   (Level 1)
    Intuition        (Level 2)

Int->Int->TaN->

-- Equipment -------------------------------------------------

[a] [ Armor      ]   green armor [1/1] (92%)
    [b] [ Weapon     ]   assault shotgun (7d3) [5/6]
    [c] [ Boots      ]   nothing
    [d] [ Prepared   ]   shell box (x71)

-- Inventory -------------------------------------------------

[a] rocket launcher (6d6) [1/1]
    [b] plasma rifle (1d7)x6 [1/40]
    [c] combat pistol (3d3) [15/15]
    [d] minigun (1d6)x8 [2/200]
    [e] combat knife (2d5)
    [f] shotgun shell (x10)
    [g] rocket (x3)
    [h] shell box (x14)

-- Resistances -----------------------------------------------

Bullet     - internal 0%    torso 15%   feet 0%   
    Shrapnel   - internal 0%    torso 15%   feet 0%   

-- Kills -----------------------------------------------------

8 former sergeants
    4 former captains
    2 imps
    8 demons
    25 lost souls
    1 baron of hell
    1 former commando
    3 pain elementals
    1 mancubus
    1 Spider Mastermind

-- History ---------------------------------------------------

On level 3 he ran for his life from lava!
  On level 3 he entered the Vaults.
  He came, he saw, but he left.
  On level 4 he ran for his life from lava!
  Then at last he found Dis!
  On level 8 he finally defeated the Mastermind.

-- Messages --------------------------------------------------

You see : a Spider Mastermind (almost dead) | floor | [ m ]ore
 You quickly reload the assault shotgun.
 Fire -- Choose target...
 You see : out of vision
 Fire -- Choose target...
 Fire -- Choose target...
 Fire -- Choose target...
 You hear the scream of a freed soul! Congratulations! You defeated the Spider
 Mastermind! Press <Enter>...
 You feel relatively safe now.

-- General ---------------------------------------------------

256 brave souls have ventured into Phobos:
 223 of those were killed.
 1 of those was killed by something unknown.
 5 didn't read the thermonuclear bomb manual.
 And 15 couldn't handle the stress and committed a stupid suicide.

12 souls destroyed the Mastermind...
 2 sacrificed itself for the good of mankind.
 9 killed the bitch and survived.
 1 showed that it can outsmart Hell itself.

I don't think I'll bother with UV, Nightmare, Gold, Platinum or Diamond Badges any time soon(if ever). Instead I'll do various Pistol/Knives Builds, some Ao100/AAo666, and finish up my assemblies, Silver Badges and Bronze Badges. But from now on, I'm playing HMP as my main difficulty(No more ITYTD/HNTR unless it's Badges/Medals)
In the end, Angel of Impatience took alot of Patience.

Edit: I have an idea for a challenge that this forum could participate in. It's kinda a mix of Malicious Knives Medal and Centurial Badge. Where do I post the details?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 19:31 by Arron Syaoran »
Was forced to discard my Moustache, long hair and Bandana when I joined the UAC.
Hell Baron Major(0.9.9.7G)
[24|18|9|1|0|0]

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile

And so, a new generation of DoomRL players discovers the fine art of Sereging.  ;)

And yes, rumour has it that there's a big nerf coming for AoOC, because it makes it too easy to get a lot of badges by using the Dual Angel challenges.

Congrats on your Major rank!  :D

Edit: I have an idea for a challenge that this forum could participate in. It's kinda a mix of Malicious Knives Medal and Centurial Badge. Where do I post the details?

The Doom Discussion forum perhaps?  (You can start a new thread)  I'm curious about this challenge you're describing; I've kind of been out of this game for a while, so I wouldn't mind a little competition to get me back into it.  :)
Apostle Chaos Lt. General (0.9.9.7)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]
Check out my Youtube channel for videos of me playing DRL!  :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXOijubEijdnrOja0kxXTKQ/videos

Arron Syaoran

• Sergeant
    • View Profile

Then I guess I'll probably never Get Major again if there's a Badge Reset. The Gold badges would be way too hard if I couldn't use AoOC.
As for Comfortable Difficulty, I find HNTR Enjoyable as a Medium/Moderately easy difficulty. HMP is Challenging for me, but not impossible, and UV/N! would prove impossible for me. What sucks is most of the HMP challenges for Gold involve really hard angel games. It would've taken at least 20 more runs if I didn't use AoOC or AoCn with my AoI run. Phobos Anomaly Ambush destroys anyone who doesn't use a phase device(especially w/o double shotgun) on AoI, and I always find Phobos Anomaly extremely hard on AoI and AoPc, especially on HMP. HNTR would be reasonable for me for those Angel Challenges.

Is radar shooting that much more beneficial than corner shooting and gift dropping? If so, then I guess I was never meant to get Major(without the luck I had). I don't understand how anyone could manage an Angelic Badge. There's got to be more to it than Corner Shooting, Giftdropping, Dodging and Radar Shooting. I also don't like how you need to specialize in specific traits in order to dodge and shoot before the enemy gets to shoot back. Alot of my deaths were because of the lack of armour/traits/medpacks/exotics on early floors, especially at UV and N!.

Another problem I see is I almost never seem to run out of ammo, but I almost always seem to run out of medpacks(unless i get phobos lab).
Was forced to discard my Moustache, long hair and Bandana when I joined the UAC.
[24|18|9|1|0|0]

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
  • High Caliber Consecrator
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries

I'll give you the same sage advice that I got from several people when I was trying to start playing on a higher difficulty: start playing UV AoMC, preferably with a masterless rapidfire build. You'll get the hang of UV way sooner than you think - at least I did.

Even have a mortem with some pointers...
[0.9.9.7G] Current: Hell Knight 1st Lieutenant [20/12/4/0/0/0]
High: Arch-Vile Lt. Colonel [25/21/12/2/1/0]

papilio

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile

What, dual angel challenge with Angel of Overconfidence makes it easier?
I think you can do it easier WITHOUT AoOC,
since if you don't skip first two episodes, you would not suffer from lack of good gears, ammos and equipments.
0.9.9.7 (after reset)
Cyberdemon Chaos Mjr. General
Medals: 43/43
Badges: 26/26/26/25/23/7[/color

papilio

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile

My simple advice on Phobos Anomaly and Tower of Babel:

In Anomaly, just before the ambush opens, change your status to "RUNNING" (by TAB key). Tactical boots (speed+15%) helps a lot here.
Up to HMP, ambush consists of only Cacodemons/Demons/Lost souls, and all of them CANNOT OPEN DOORS,
(in UV, imps are added, but they are not a big problem)
so just after you pass the doors, CLOSE THE DOOR and repeat open - shoot - close - open - shoot - close. You can easily take down all of those ambushes.

when fighting against bruisers, make use of lower corners.

|
 |
                  X (<-- intuition mark of bruisers)

----------> X (shot them like this)
@| (WALL)
 | (WALL)

If you have a combat/tactical shotgun and large shotgun shell box (you can get it from the military base), bruisers cannot harm you.

Tower of Babel: If you took BFG from Spider's Lair/Halls of Carnage, just BFG him.
If not, prepare a massive DPS rapid fire weapon, such as plasma rifle (if you have) or at least gatling gun.
To dodge cyberdemon's rocket volley, carefully look the message "Cyberdemon reloads the launcher".
Cyberdemon blasts his rocket 1.0s (maybe) after that message,
so keep your status RUNNING and use a strafe left-right run (as you did an the original DOOM) to dodge them.
Hellrunner 2 + tactical boots ensures 100% evasion here without "RUNNING" if you do everything correctly.

If cyberdemon is out of your vision, then the reload message does NOT appears, so you should notice it by reloading sound.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 05:21 by papilio »
0.9.9.7 (after reset)
Cyberdemon Chaos Mjr. General
Medals: 43/43
Badges: 26/26/26/25/23/7[/color

Arron Syaoran

• Sergeant
    • View Profile

I tend to use the corner of the wall(where the breakable barrier was) as cover against bruisers. Apparently I'm not using Tactical Boots, Hellrunner or Running Tactic Enough. As for WHY UV is so hard for me, it's mainly due to the enemy's increased accuracy. This is probably why I haven't had much luck on Angel of Mass Carnage. Perhaps I should invest in Scout/Intuition more often for AoMC and UV.

Having to do AoI without AoOC would be both easier(more preparation and gear) and harder(more levels to go through). In the end though, there's plenty of set levels that don't have much for healing options, so I would have to avoid most of the special levels. I did it on AoOC because I wanted a quick, easy way to finish off the last Gold Badge I needed. The easier badges are fairly difficult, while the hardest are next to impossible for me. I could probably score 1 diamond and 1-3 Platinum, but I don't expect to ever go near Angelic unless I can master UV.
[24|18|9|1|0|0]

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile

I think LuckyDee has the right idea of practicing with AoMC.  It sounds like your biggest issue is avoiding getting hit and AoMC is good for teaching you that.  Just get a couple levels in Intuition so you can observe the enemy movement patterns and take it a bit slower than you're used to.

You mentioned that it would have taken 20 more tries without using AoOC and that's probably true.  If you look at my mortems, you may notice that I've won less than 10% of my games.  Behind each of my Diamond and Angelic badges, there are a *lot* of dead Doomguys.  This is the kind of game where you have to fail a lot in order to learn and do better next time.

You're on the right track and you're obviously fairly skilled at the game; it may seem to you like Diamond badges are out of your reach, but I think you'll find that with time and practice, it will be an achieveable long-term goal.

EDIT:  And I'm still curious about that forum challenge you mentioned.  :)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 21:08 by Tormuse »
Apostle Chaos Lt. General (0.9.9.7)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]
Check out my Youtube channel for videos of me playing DRL!  :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXOijubEijdnrOja0kxXTKQ/videos

Arron Syaoran

• Sergeant
    • View Profile

Yeah, about now I have about 4-5% Victory rate(95-96% Deaths), most of them on HNTR and HMP, about 5-14 Deaths on UV and 1 Death on N! Perhaps I should shoot into the blank whenever I hear an enemy instead of just walking until they appear onscreen. It's probably gonna make me use my shotgun more.

I'm gonna start playing in console mode, probably with AoMC w/o UV to start, for the added visual challenge. Tiles mode just seems too much like Noteye ADOM.

As for the Challenge, I'm posting it in General DoomRL Discussion unless people tell me otherwise. Perhaps I should post is in post mortem instead(because people would post their victory/defeat mortems in the challenge's thread? or will they post them in separate threads?) To be honest, I don't know where to post challenges. I'll post it when I find out where I should post it.
[24|18|9|1|0|0]

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries

As for the Challenge, I'm posting it in General DoomRL Discussion unless people tell me otherwise. Perhaps I should post is in post mortem instead(because people would post their victory/defeat mortems in the challenge's thread? or will they post them in separate threads?) To be honest, I don't know where to post challenges. I'll post it when I find out where I should post it.

Discussion would be a great place indeed. Mortems can still go on the Mortem Board, and refer to your challenge in the subject line.

Arron Syaoran

• Sergeant
    • View Profile

Oops, posted it in Centurial Mortems figuring that people would post their mortems on the same thread. Is there anyway to move it to discussion or am I fine?

Edit: The mistake was that I posted it there before checking here to read your post. Seems like you might've just replied a little too late(as I was posting it)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 21:00 by Arron Syaoran »
[24|18|9|1|0|0]

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries

Moved it to Discussion instead. This way the separate Mortems can each still get their own topic in the Century Lounge. I was going to say you can mark them CBBC for easy identification, but I'm not sure whether this will draw the wrong crowd by mistake ><

Arron Syaoran

• Sergeant
    • View Profile

Mark them as CBBandit (CBBANDIT) instead.
[24|18|9|1|0|0]
Pages: [1]