Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 16:47
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Transition from HMP to UV is hard...  (Read 4782 times)

Andrew Red

• Private
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
Transition from HMP to UV is hard...
« on: March 27, 2015, 06:11 »

So, I've conquered HMP (YAAM + YAFW + conqueror is pretty much routine) but, man, UV is hard! The nightmare demons of Phobos Lab are giving me an especially tough time, so does anyone have any advice for them? Preferably with some thought towards the two shamblers too.

My current build is Jug > Int2 > Ber > EE >SoBx, shotgun > brace of shotguns > tacshot & chainsaw > tacshot, gatling, plasma & chainsaw with RL/BFG for odd jobs. It makes most of HMP conq a cakewalk, but just doesn't seem to cut the mustard in UV.

papilio

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Transition from HMP to UV is hard...
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2015, 06:44 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eLeQzxSLlY

This is my N! 100% kills Conqueror Full Win video,
where both of Phobos Lab and Deimos Lab are generated. See it.

mortem and strategy : http://forum.chaosforge.org/index.php/topic,7424.0.html

For nightmare demons in Phobos Lab, Hellrunner 2 is a must.
For shamblers in Deimos Lab, Dodgemaster and fast-shooting weapons (such as hyperblaster) are necessary to make things easier.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 06:48 by papilio »
0.9.9.7 (after reset)
Cyberdemon Chaos Mjr. General
Medals: 43/43
Badges: 26/26/26/25/23/7[/color

Shadowfury333

• Supporter of Chaos
  • Corporal
  • Demon Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2015, 15:16 »

Well, papilio's response is pretty comprehensive for the gritty details of the sublevels (I may need to bookmark that post).

On top of those specifics, here are a few general points from my own experience, to hopefully complement the above.

Your build seems really Shotgun focused, and running into similar issues as my own. I used to run Unlimited Shotgun Works (jug + brace of shotguns) all the time, and I found it far easier to set up in UV than HMP due to the greater number of sergeants early on. However, I also found that it was a lot harder to use past DL 3 or 4, when fighting the bigger UV mobs, especially Demons. I'd run out of loaded shotguns before they were gone, as the Demons' armour works well against Shrapnel damage (as they take 4 less damage from each blast), and their increased numbers from HMP to UV meant that a group would now survive a dozen or so shotgun blasts to the face, and be ready to chew off mine.

Your late-game weapon set nicely accounts for this, but everything earlier seems to rely on either shotgunnery (probably knockback?) or getting berserk status in melee to survive. I really want to see how you play, since all I can do is make a lot of guesses, and I have no how you approach rooms, handle monster groups, or generally move around while fighting, which would make a big difference given how close-range focused you are.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 15:18 by Shadowfury333 »
[0.9.9.7] Cacodemon Sergeant
V:0P,1S,0F M:8 I:30 A:13
[9|2|0|0|0|0]

Andrew Red

• Private
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2015, 08:50 »

My build isn't all that shotgun-focused, it's just that pumpguns require no skills to work reasonably well, leaving me free to grab the utility skills Jug and Int2 early. And with Jug, I can always switch in a chainsaw or chaingun. Until I get a pumpgun ... well, a single long-range shotgun-blast doesn't kill anything, but two finish off zombies (except plasma), imps and great skulls on fire. I aggree that unlimitied shotguns doesn't work, so I'll fall back or suck up the damage if they're too scattered to be taken down by two blasts (or too tough). Sometimes I even remember to use run! ;)

Also note that the order is mostly an attempt to minize the highest difficulty I encounter - I have Int2 or Jug for Arena, both for CC+ and Ber for the two Shamblers in Deimos Lab, then Gatling + skills for it when the fighting intensifies in Hell. (Ber off course also trivialises Cybie, AoD and end-boss.)

As for demon packs, I've never had any particular problems with them. If they're more than one square away, I'll reload a shotgun rather than fire. If they're point-blank, and all are empty, I'll whip out the chainsaw (in this particular build order, Bru helps out very early). Before CC+, I'd probably fall back on a chaingun after emptying the shotguns.

Shadowfury333

• Supporter of Chaos
  • Corporal
  • Demon Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2015, 18:36 »

Okay, that makes sense. I generally never go for Jug myself unless I'm trying to do a USW start, but I see what you mean for Chainsaw.

About "minimizing highest difficulty", it might just be me, but I tried those builds a lot, and found them harder to run in UV than builds that focus on early stats. I find having to be extra clever (to compensate for vanilla health/damage/speed) with extra information harder than being reasonably clever (and paying extra attention to my headphones) with better stats. Later on I feel like I'm spread too thin to take on the fights that all but require a head-on approach, such as Phobos Gate. It might just be me, though.

Hang on, why are you using an intel/tricks build to support a melee/low-range strategy? I understand the comfort factor of Int2, but shotguns don't miss, so radar shooting can work, and if they are near melee range, you know where they are. I would think either focusing on early TaN or SoB would be a better choice, not to mention help with the shotgun armour problem.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 18:52 by Shadowfury333 »
[0.9.9.7] Cacodemon Sergeant
V:0P,1S,0F M:8 I:30 A:13
[9|2|0|0|0|0]

MaiZure

• Marketing/PR Ops Lead
  • Greater Elder
  • Major General
  • Retired 1-Star General (.993)
    • View Profile
    • Project repository
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2015, 19:14 »

Try to beat UV first on under the AoMC challenge - it's both fun and helps build the defensive instinct.
Hell Knight 1st Lt. (.997)
[22/13/9/2/0]
Pages: [1]