Chaosforge Forum

• April 28, 2024, 06:20
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Rank requirements  (Read 9694 times)

Styro

• Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Rank requirements
« on: November 04, 2008, 13:15 »

I finally hunted down my 500th Mancubus to achieve Mancubus rank. Holy crap that was tedious!

I am going to echo the suggestion of Blade (http://forum.chaosforge.org/index.php?topic=1583.0).

The Rank requirements should be tweaked.

Just like Blade, I also jumped straight to Hell Knight rank because by the time I hunted down 500 Mancubi I had already met the requirements for the next rank.

For Hell Baron rank, I have already met the 800 Hell Baron kills (I have 1635) and the 5000 melee kills (I have 6946), but the 100,000 total kills seems a bit extreme. I have 46,240 total kills and I cannot imagine playing the game enough to get 100,000 kills. That could take a couple more years. I am all for long-term goals, but in the interest of making the goals do-able I think they should be modified so they are more attainable.
Arch-Vile Mjr General
[19/19/12/7/3]

ParaSait

• Baffen :P
  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
Re: Rank requirements
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 13:48 »

My total kill count is 30855. As I had my new computer somewhere in March this year, I gotta play about 2 more years on the same average difficulty (which is HMP-UV) to achieve the 100000 =)
Damn I'm gonna be so proud if I finally did it =D
[18|7|3|0|0|0] [MED:13/43] [SPE:36/67] [ASM:11/40]

Check out my epic youtube channel!
Currently playing The Bard's Tale and System Shock 2 (coop with GrAV1t)!

Blade

• Tester
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
    • Upyachka
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 13:52 »

My total kill count is 30855. As I had my new computer somewhere in March this year, I gotta play about 2 more years on the same average difficulty (which is HMP-UV) to achieve the 100000 =)
Damn I'm gonna be so proud if I finally did it =D

Yeah, that would be the most epic waste of time ever.))

Edit: oh, no, most epic waste of time is WoW, sorry.)
Low orbit ion cannon damaged my brain!!1
Now i'm an idiot!1 Kill me, somebody!!11

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 01:38 »

Well, I'm waiting for suggestions for the new ranks :)
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Blade

• Tester
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
    • Upyachka
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 05:47 »

1) Swap Hell Knight's rank with the Mancubus rank.

2) Lower amount of mancubi to be killed for the promotion (they are rare, so it should be lower, like, 300 (YAAAARRR!!1!!1)).

3) Of course lower requirement of kills for the promotion to the BoH rank. To, like, 30000.

If it's the highest rank possible - then there should be more:

Arachnotron

* Kill 1500 Arachnotrons. (they are quite common, so it shouldn't be such a problem (it shouldn't be easy either))
* Kill 500 Arachnotrons with a plasma rifle.
* Kill 2000 enemies with a plasma rifle.

Arch-Vile

* Kill 1000 Arach-Viles. (really DAMN. But possible)
* Kill 1000 enemies with barrels explosions. (overall, not in one blast. Or here could be some other stupid requirement, if this one isn't possible)
* 200 enemies should be killed by lava or acid. (because they do not wander into the lava or acid anymore, then you should help them to do that)

Cyberdemon

* Kill 100 Cyberdemons.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 12:57 by Blade »

ZZ

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2008, 10:01 »

* 200 enemies should be killed by lava or acid. (because they do not wander into the lava or acid anymore, then you should help them to do that)
Really?! Demons walk on lava-acid easily on easy.Why? I don't know the conditions but THEY REALLY CHASED ME ON LAVA!!!
Put a chainsaw in my coffin. If I go to Hell, I'll need to do some cleaning there.

MaiZure

• Marketing/PR Ops Lead
  • Greater Elder
  • Major General
  • Retired 1-Star General (.993)
    • View Profile
    • Project repository
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2008, 21:36 »

Arch-Vile

* Kill 1000 Arach-Viles. (really DAMN. But possible)
* Kill 1000 enemies with barrels explosions. (overall, not in one blast. Or here could be some other stupid requirement, if this one isn't possible)

Cyberdemon

* Kill 100 Cyberdemons.

Good call - I'm thinking that by the time you get the 1000 AVs, you may have already taken out Cybie 100 times
Hell Knight 1st Lt. (.997)
[22/13/9/2/0]

Blade

• Tester
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
    • Upyachka
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2008, 03:54 »

Good call - I'm thinking that by the time you get the 1000 AVs, you may have already taken out Cybie 100 times

Nope, i have 820 killed Arch-Viles now, and only 25 Cyberdemons, so even if i would achieve Arch-Vile rank, i still would need to kill approx 70 Cyberdemons. I think that's fair.

Titt

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2008, 06:31 »

How about some weirder, sillier requirements along the way?

* Destroy 100,000 barrels.
* Kill 1 Baron...with your fists.
* Kill 1 Archvile...with the combat knife.
* Kill 1 Cyberdemon...with the chainsaw.
* Kill 7 enemies with one shot.
* Use 3,000 levers.
* Reach level 19 in 10 games.
* Reach level 20.

...and so on.

Sachiko

• Sergeant
  • I hunt down Cheat-modders and collect their skulls
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2008, 03:29 »

How about some weirder, sillier requirements along the way?

* Destroy 100,000 barrels.
* Kill 1 Baron...with your fists.
* Kill 1 Archvile...with the combat knife.
* Kill 1 Cyberdemon...with the chainsaw.
* Kill 7 enemies with one shot.
* Use 3,000 levers.
* Reach level 19 in 10 games.
* Reach level 20.

...and so on.

Destroying 100.000 barrels, use 3.000 levers, and other requirements not related with KILLING: If you haven't realized, all the rank requirements are set around killing different amounts of different kinds of enemies, in some way or another, so these requirements don't fit.

Kill 7 enemies with one shot: Oh, too easy! Even I can kill 7 enemies in a single shot! By the time I reach the level with the Lost Soul rush, I already have gotten the first BFG9K.

Kill 1 Baron with your fists, kill 1 arch-vile with the combat knife, kill Cybie with the chainsaw: Now we're talking. Although, let me tell you, someone who has managed to kill the Angel of Death in the unholy cathedral will already have enough training to attain these challenges more or less easily. The Angel has a shit-ton of HP, more than Cybie, AND you have to take him out in melee in order to retrieve the Spear of Destiny. Therefore, we need some flavour of this requirement that proves to be a challenge, but still is out of the threshold of absurdity.
If you ever use cheat-mode, I'll go for you and kill you while you sleep.

Titt

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2008, 06:41 »

Destroying 100.000 barrels, use 3.000 levers, and other requirements not related with KILLING: If you haven't realized, all the rank requirements are set around killing different amounts of different kinds of enemies, in some way or another, so these requirements don't fit.

Yes, the point is that they don't fit! So getting to a new rank level and seeing "destroy 100,000 barrels" as a requirement for the next level is surprising and maybe even rather funny.

Kill 7 enemies with one shot: Oh, too easy! Even I can kill 7 enemies in a single shot! By the time I reach the level with the Lost Soul rush, I already have gotten the first BFG9K.

I had forgotten about the BFG. Maybe that should read "Kill 7 enemies with one non-BFG shot," or something like that. I was thinking about the difficulty of killing large number of enemies with a single shotgun or rocket launcher shot.

Kill 1 Baron with your fists, kill 1 arch-vile with the combat knife, kill Cybie with the chainsaw: Now we're talking. Although, let me tell you, someone who has managed to kill the Angel of Death in the unholy cathedral will already have enough training to attain these challenges more or less easily. The Angel has a shit-ton of HP, more than Cybie, AND you have to take him out in melee in order to retrieve the Spear of Destiny. Therefore, we need some flavour of this requirement that proves to be a challenge, but still is out of the threshold of absurdity.

"Killing Cyberdemon with chainsaw," for example, asks the player to not only keep the chainsaw after getting the Spear of Destiny, something that players ordinarily wouldn't do, instead filling up their inventory with med packs and phase devices; it also requires the player to face the Cyberdemon WITHOUT using the Spear of Destiny, which is a significant thing to be asked to do, since the Spear is an excellent weapon and facing the Cyberdemon with a lesser weapon entails some real risk of getting killed at the end of the game, when you could have won easily (by using the Spear).

ZZ

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2008, 08:59 »

Arch-Vile rank:
Kill 1000 Arch-viles(on Ao100 best)
Kill 100 Arch-viles with combat knife( remember Butchers knife, LS, Dragonslayer are combat knives)
Kill 200 enemies, resurected by an Arch-vile.
Kill 100 enemies by a lever
Kill 100 enemies with an exploision(rocket or barrel)
Kill 100 enemies by enemies themselves!
What about this?
Put a chainsaw in my coffin. If I go to Hell, I'll need to do some cleaning there.

ParaSait

• Baffen :P
  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2008, 09:41 »

Sounds good, I only have one question: Say that you have monster you killed, and it's resurrected by an arch-vile. You kill him for the second time, so it counts as a "Monster resurrected by arch vile kill". Now, if that monster would resurrect once again and you kill him for the third time, then does it still count? If so, it would be pretty easy =)
[18|7|3|0|0|0] [MED:13/43] [SPE:36/67] [ASM:11/40]

Check out my epic youtube channel!
Currently playing The Bard's Tale and System Shock 2 (coop with GrAV1t)!

Visalos

• First Sergeant
  • Former Imp
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2008, 11:42 »

every so often, my DoomRL folder corrupts and i have to start over from the bloody zip file. guess i should start scumming player.dat or whichever file it is (i have been on the road, posting from public library computers, so i haven't played in months) Screw you, Vista.
The demons will never forget the Marine who charged -screaming- through seven layers of hell wearing nothing but a nuke and blue boots.

Visalos

• First Sergeant
  • Former Imp
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2008, 11:43 »

thousand enemy deaths by lever. levers kill lots of monsters.
The demons will never forget the Marine who charged -screaming- through seven layers of hell wearing nothing but a nuke and blue boots.
Pages: [1] 2  All