Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 10:58
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Any chance of Xenocide ever being worked on again?  (Read 5382 times)

BDR

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile

I just finished the tutorial and it looks/sounds pretty nice for an unfinished game.

EDIT: Now that I've looked for more information, it seems that this actually wasn't made by Kornel (oops >_>;) but another person named Jakub Denski.  Kornel, do you have any idea what happened to him?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2007, 17:39 by BDR »

Aerton

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Any chance of Xenocide ever being worked on again?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2007, 20:44 »

Doesn't he have a e-mail?
Also, I look up rgrd to see if he had mentioned anything about it recently.

BDR

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2007, 02:55 »

Well, so far the best I've found is a post from around November of last year talking about it (not rgrd, though, don't know what forum exactly), and the maker saying he was inspired to work some more on it due to the continued interest.  I've also re-looked and found that the version I got off of xenocide.chaosforge.org (IIR the address correctly) is actually dated 3/28/07, so there's still hope for more even though it's been a while.

Aerton

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2007, 05:06 »

Send him a email anyway.
Knowing that someone needs your game and waits a new version boosts motivation to continue development.

Jakub Debski

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2007, 05:13 »

Thanks for the interest :)
With limited time I still work on the game. After a few bug fixes I should compile the public version and put it on the website.
Any comments on the game?

regards,
Jakub Debski

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2007, 08:39 »

Wow, Jakub on my forum :P. Anyway, if work on Xeno resumes, I'm willing to give it full patronage here on ChaosForge, including a guest forum here if discussion starts ;]
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

BDR

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2007, 09:32 »

It'd definitely be worth it. :D

My first big comment is that it's rather annoying that I can't simply bump into boxes/wares with a melee weapon on the starting ship.  I can understand this being a rather unproductive thing to have in place when it comes to accidentally bouncing off the walls, but it'd be nice to not have to press Shift-a every time I want to explore a cubbyhole shoved behind a lot of boxes in the beginning.  Perhaps anything that you should be able to destroy in at least 3 or 4 hits or enemies will get actually smacked by a melee weapon, while everything else will simply be bumped into and respond as usual.

My second is that, given the lack of big weapons on the starting ship (which is totally fine by me because that's a damn good reason for all the bodies laying around) and big gun ammo (at first landing) you end up either training small guns or melee weapons past 100, which is a bit limiting and possibly damning once the enemies ramp up in toughness.  I don't have any great ideas on how to fix this, though, unless of course the big guns can be learned just as safely as the small ones even though you get small ones sooner and also that the ammo is good enough to support such learning.

My third is mostly that it's a bit tough to get mechanical skill if your branch of expertise is combat; I read that victory dancing the on/off switch does a good job but with only 20 technical skill it doesn't look terribly possible to turn those utility bots back on. :P  The only other source looks like mending things and there's a limited repair tool supply.  I suppose I *could* specialize but I like to dabble more. :)

I think that's about it for now.  I look forward to more. :)
Pages: [1]