Chaosforge Forum

• April 25, 2024, 06:35
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Frozen Depth 1.02 released!  (Read 43155 times)

DisaffectedBeta

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Frozen Depth 1.02 released!
« Reply #45 on: July 29, 2007, 11:04 »

It's not healthy to play Frozen Depths and Doom back to back, at least for me.  After saving my game in Frozen Depths I went directly to doom.  I promptly forgot that acid pools were NOT rings, that ammunition were NOT long dead adventurers, and that h's were not scary.

Rabiat

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 30, 2007, 07:44 »

Next time you switch to Frozen Depths, just remember not to pull the &. ;)
0.9.9.2 - [22/8/2/0/0] - Mancubus Scrap Metal Collector

RickVoid

• Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 27, 2007, 07:09 »

Well, I got to play Frozen Depths over the weekend. Overall, I think it's very well done and I look forward to seeing more development. I was only able to get as far as the the 10th floor (where I was slaughtered, horribly, by the boss) but what I saw over the dungeons, monsters, and traps (in my third run, all the traps were either one-shot curse traps, or poison-tipped javelons, ouch) was very impressive. I'd like to see a screen that describes the items, as well as in-game skill descriptions (I don't like having to switch back to the manual everytime I gain a new skill) but these are minor gripes overall.

I do have one question though: how the hell do I loot the stuff off of the dead adventurers!? The "," pick-up command ain't doin' it for me, and all the manual does is mention my frozen precursors as lootable bodies. I'm all for looting corpses, but *how* do I do it?

:)

On an unrelated note, I'm tired of the constant "ADOM is teh kickass/ADOM is teh suxors" arguments that pop up everytime a new rougelike is released. I played ADOM. I prefer Crawl, and I've never played Angband. I played this game. Their playing styles and ages are far enough apart that I really don't think it's fair to compare any of them, or to suggest that he should copy things from ADOM. Not every rougelike needs to be a ADOM or Angband clone. I like variety in my ASCII games, don't you?
Campbell: Snake, press the action button.
Snake: ... What?
Campbell: The action button, on the control pad.
Snake: What!?

Blade

• Tester
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
    • Upyachka
« Reply #48 on: August 27, 2007, 08:43 »

I do have one question though: how the hell do I loot the stuff off of the dead adventurers!? The "," pick-up command ain't doin' it for me, and all the manual does is mention my frozen precursors as lootable bodies. I'm all for looting corpses, but *how* do I do it?

"u"se them.))
Low orbit ion cannon damaged my brain!!1
Now i'm an idiot!1 Kill me, somebody!!11

RickVoid

• Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 27, 2007, 09:37 »

"u"se them.))

Wow.

I feel dumb now. So simple, yet so difficult.

I have to go cry now.

Conker

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 27, 2007, 10:00 »

Similar dumb question - how do I sacrifice? The manual says go to a shrine and press 'u', but that doesn't seem to work. The first time, a little demon came and fireballed my equipment (lovely). Now nothing happens. I've got a load of silver statues I want to offer up, so the Goddess might uncurse my weapon/ring.

RickVoid

• Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 27, 2007, 10:41 »

Similar dumb question - how do I sacrifice? The manual says go to a shrine and press 'u', but that doesn't seem to work. The first time, a little demon came and fireballed my equipment (lovely). Now nothing happens. I've got a load of silver statues I want to offer up, so the Goddess might uncurse my weapon/ring.

There are actually two different types of shrines (surprise!!). The one that you described is a Spirit Shrine. When 'u'sed, it bestows a random effect on you- and they aren't always good. Those are one shot deals. The other one is a Goddess Shrine (specifically named so, but uses the same symbol). When you 'u'se it, it brings you to the sacrifice menu. These can be used again and again.

Now, I have yet to sacrifice enough that she likes me enough to respond to my prayers, but I gather you sacrifice first, then attempt to pray (press the '_' symbol). Good luck!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 10:51 by RickVoid »

Conker

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 27, 2007, 11:18 »

There are actually two different types of shrines (surprise!!). The one that you described is a Spirit Shrine. When 'u'sed, it bestows a random effect on you- and they aren't always good. Those are one shot deals. The other one is a Goddess Shrine (specifically named so, but uses the same symbol). When you 'u'se it, it brings you to the sacrifice menu. These can be used again and again.

Now, I have yet to sacrifice enough that she likes me enough to respond to my prayers, but I gather you sacrifice first, then attempt to pray (press the '_' symbol). Good luck!

Thanks a lot! One less thing to figure out.

DisaffectedBeta

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 27, 2007, 15:40 »

Two things in this game I wouldn't mind seeing in Doom:

A maze with a lot of thick walls with narrow corridors and nested rooms like Frozen Depths, and most of all, a pause that occurs every time the player takes enough damage to be near death.

*goes to bed*

Conker

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 27, 2007, 19:15 »

Two things in this game I wouldn't mind seeing in Doom:

A maze with a lot of thick walls with narrow corridors and nested rooms like Frozen Depths, and most of all, a pause that occurs every time the player takes enough damage to be near death.

*goes to bed*

The only problem with the second idea is that in hectic situations, upwards of 60% health can be lost in a single round. It's rarely not noticing my health level that kills me, anyway.

After an evening of playing, FD does seem to have some neat features, such as the shrines, instant-use scrolls, the whole warmth thing, but it's a bit too luck-based for my tastes, in terms of equipping cursed items, stat gains, etc. I'll be keeping an eye on it though.

Best run: Killed the second boss on my ninth go at the game, only to die to a potion of acid that did around 70+hp damage when I opened it. Meh.

DisaffectedBeta

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 28, 2007, 07:32 »

"The only problem with the second idea is that in hectic situations, upwards of 60% health can be lost in a single round. It's rarely not noticing my health level that kills me, anyway."

Speaking from personal experience, I'd say about 80% of my deaths occurred because I was too caught up in the (usually turned based, but sometimes I still hold down the keys when walking over water) action to notice my health had dropped by little drops to the point where I was swatted and died.  In Frozen Depths I'd often find myself in dire situations, but I knew that when the warning came it up it was time to stop my dreams of blood and run away.  I realize some purists prefer to have every avoidable consequence be the player's fault, but I get a ton of messages in that little window that I rarely ever read which stop the game until I clear the "more" buffer, but it never is as much use as a "stop, you're going to die" message would be. 

I wouldn't base it on percent, though, I'd base it on actual hitpoints.  Either that, or have the player set it him or herself, so it's more like a built in player aid than a set-in-stone machine.

As far as FD, I feel it scales better than other roguelikes I've played.  I agree about the cursed items, though.  It tends to be a rather frequent and irritating problem.  Even diversifying the problems you get when you equip something (saps your warmth, sticks you with a poison spike, whatever) would still make equipping things dangerous, but not so melancholic.

I like the random stat in addition to the chosen stat.  I think that's kinda fun and oldschool because...  well...  I'm oldschool.

tisiphone

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 29, 2007, 17:40 »

Yeah, I have to agree with DisaffectedBeta, a “you’re about to die” message would be handy. Come to think of it, would it be possible to have your health treated with the same warning message and change in colour as when your armour is about to break? It would certainly help me live a bit longer (for better or worse) and it wouldn’t slow down the gameplay at all.

To Glowie:
Great game, by the way! :D

“u”sing the dead bodies had me confused for a bit too and I didn’t like having to switch between the manual and the game but I really like the levelling system and the simplicity of the controls made it easy to enjoy. Interestingly two of my best runs ended not from any monster but from potions :(. I’ll have to be more careful with them in the future... but yeah, it’s a really nice game, thumbs up :D. 
I want my games for entertainment and escapism, not ethics education, thank you very much.

Blade

• Tester
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
    • Upyachka
« Reply #57 on: August 30, 2007, 16:11 »

I'm for "low health" message in DooMRL, it will be helpful.

I haven't found enough types of useful potions to make it worthy to try every one on yourself. And charges of wand of identification are too valuable to waste them on potions.
Low orbit ion cannon damaged my brain!!1
Now i'm an idiot!1 Kill me, somebody!!11

Glowie

• IRC-Op
  • Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
    • Frozen Depths
« Reply #58 on: August 31, 2007, 06:50 »

Thanks for the comments again guys! A few things again:

Quite many new players have wondered how to loot the frozen corpses, you're not the only one. The reason why it's not just ',' like the pick up is because there might be an item on the corpse that you might not want to take for some reason. I'll add this info to the READ_THIS_FIRST in the next version, perhaps it helps a bit.

A potion can be very dangerous if you haven't identified it. The only time you should drink an unidentified potion is when you are in front of a certain death and a random healing potion can save you, or if you want to identify a potion by drinking it (I usually do this when I have >1 potions of the same type), be sure you're in a safe location. On the other hand, many potions can save your life in a tough situation.
And to Blade specifically, I noticed this too, there were too many evil potions compared to the good ones in the previous version. And luckily for the players, I removed some of the evil potions and added more positive effects. You may want to waste an identify on a potion if all your accessories are identified and you've got spare money/charges.

And last but not least, in DoomRL I, too, die way too often when I run through an "empty" place or don't pay enough attention to my hp. Yay for a low health message for DoomRL!

DisaffectedBeta

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Low Health Warning in Doom
« Reply #59 on: August 31, 2007, 10:20 »

Since I'm getting a lot of agreement on this, should I start a separate post?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5