Chaosforge Forum

• March 29, 2024, 07:39
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Tips for a new player?  (Read 5009 times)

pr0nluv3r

• Private
    • View Profile
Tips for a new player?
« on: August 16, 2007, 14:16 »

I just started playing recently so I'm not sure just how things work. I mean, I've gotten pretty far on the rare occasion with lots of luck, but for the most part I end up dead before level 10.

Any tips like what to take for the skills?

tisiphone

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Tips for a new player?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 16:47 »

Hey, I’m not exactly the master but here some links to the stuff you might find useful:

http://doom.chaosforge.org/wiki/index.php?title=Thomas%27s_tips
A general guide (might be a bit out of date)
and
http://doom.chaosforge.org/wiki/index.php?title=DoomRL_Wiki
DooMRL wiki. Source of general information about DooMRL.

But if you already being to those places then here are my tips:

Always go to the Hell’s Arena Challenge and do all of it at any cost. It doesn’t take that long to get to it and for completion of it you get a chaingun (very good), rocket launcher (good for getting through walls at certain places), bugger loads of ammo, large med-pack and supercharge (sets health to 200%!). You will need to use a shotgun or a combat shotgun (preferred) on the first wave and then start searching for the chaingun when the second wave starts coming. When you get the chaingun it should be a walk in the park.

Secondly you will probably need to know that Son of a Bitch and Son of a Gun traits do not work properly (in the case of SoaB – not at all) so taking them is pointless. I also suggest getting Eagle Eye as soon as you get your chaingun.

Oh, and thirdly use the tactics option all the time (I think the guide I linked covers this but here it is again). Use the coward setting whenever you move or whenever you are not shooting. Use the aggressive setting whenever you need to shoot but will not get shoot at (i.e. melee enemies) or when fighting former sergeants.

That should put you pretty much where I am at the moment. Good luck.

*waits for someone more experienced to blow my suggestions out of the water*
I want my games for entertainment and escapism, not ethics education, thank you very much.

BDR

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007, 18:53 »

The only thing I'm going to blow out of the water is that Son of a Gun was only ever bugged in terms of damage bonuses.  It was *never* bugged speed-wise (why thank you, I think I *will* turn my character into a bullet-dodger.. heh heh heh).  Also, if you were to, say, *donate*, you'd gain access to the latest beta wherein said damage bonuses are actually instated. ;)

Azaryin

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2007, 13:53 »

Well one of the most useful things you can do at the beginning of the game is use tactics. Sometimes, you just don't get a chance to get past level one experience if you don't have tact.
The entire thing about the first level is to keep from getting shot and pick up all the medkits before the little former soldiers do. Any enemy that fires bullets, including plasma shots, you want to open a door, go right where the door is, then close it. If an enemy gets right up to the door, don't bother wasting ammo, melee his ass. And get close to Arachnotrons as fast as possible. They fire a deadly weapon, but their melee sucks :3
And also, if you find something you just can't fight yet, RUN. conserve ammo, medkits, conserve health globes, use invincibility orbs only if necassary, and you can figure out the rest on yer own :3

sn0rb

• Sergeant
  • Blue. Ninja. Needs. Wii. Badly.
    • View Profile
    • Random Ranting
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2007, 16:22 »

I don't think "Try not to die" would cut it, so here's what worked for me:

If you ever get a Combat Shotgun, don't do the special reload (capital R- completely refills the magazine) unless you're absolutely sure you're in a safe spot. Reloading a gun takes time, and getting shot during that time sucks ass.

In the Angel of Marksmanship challenge game, don't pick up every 10mm ammo pack you find. Just because you can carry 1000 rounds of ammo doesn't mean you have to.

As everyone said, tactics (Tab key) help! Coward tactics improve your ability to dodge, but reduce your chance to hit (unless you're using a Shotgun. Shotguns always hit.) Aggressive tactics improve damage dealt and to hit, but lowers your dodge chance (if you're going this way, invest in the Hellrunner trait.)

Levels in the Ironman trait are a good way to start at first level. You could always use the extra 10 HP!

Same thing with Tough as Nails. Permanent DR 1/TaN level stacks with your armor bonus (...am I playing DoomRL or D&D?)

Use enemies to do some of your work for you! Anything with ranged weapons can accidentally hit their friends, allowing you to finish the job. Make sure you deal the finishing blow, otherwise the enemy gets XP for the kill.
Well, excuse me while I defy all laws of logic and science and do it anyway!

Zeb

• Elder
  • Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2007, 01:38 »

If you ever get a Combat Shotgun, don't do the special reload (capital R- completely refills the magazine)

I never knew Combat shotguns had a special reload. I always just waited until I was in a sort-of-safe area and then pounded the reload button. I'm assuming special reload takes less time then loading 5 shells manually, so I'll have to remember that.

sn0rb

• Sergeant
  • Blue. Ninja. Needs. Wii. Badly.
    • View Profile
    • Random Ranting
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2007, 18:05 »

Yeah, the Combat Shotgun, Double Shotgun, Plasma Rifle, Pistol, and BFG each have a special reload.

Pistols- Reload both pistols (Requires Dualgunner Trait and, obviously, two Pistols- one in the Weapon slot, and one in the Prepared Weapon slot.)
Combat Shotgun- Refills the magazine completely. Takes more time than usual.
Double Shotgun- Reloads one barrel instead of both. Does less damage, but takes less time.
Plasma Rifle- Overload. Fires the entire magazine dry, then destroys the rifle!
BFG- Overload!. Empties the entire magazine for more splash radius, and +20 damage.
Well, excuse me while I defy all laws of logic and science and do it anyway!

Zeb

• Elder
  • Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2007, 23:41 »

I only knew about the PR and the BFG. The BFG overload destroys the BFG as well, right?

Blade

• Tester
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
    • Upyachka
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2007, 02:13 »

Maybe we should stick this post, because that would simplify process of finding useful tips and DooMRLWiki for new players? And they all can post here their questions about the basics of the game, so future players won't need to search on forum or start new topic for already answered question.)
Low orbit ion cannon damaged my brain!!1
Now i'm an idiot!1 Kill me, somebody!!11
Pages: [1]