Chaosforge Forum

• April 19, 2024, 05:29
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: 4 small medkits in starting inventory  (Read 2456 times)

Conker

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
4 small medkits in starting inventory
« on: August 18, 2007, 19:43 »

I can't be the only person who quits and restarts if he gets less than two of the med-kits on the first level (I play on H difficulty, and they make a big difference in Hell's Arena). I think it'd save a lot of startscumming if people just started with the medkits on the Phobos level in their inventory, as opposed to the lottery it is now of whether you get them. There's definitely no skill to it.

Apologies if this has been suggested before, I had a brief look at the last couple of pages, and it wasn't in the 'FAQ' thread.

DaEezT

• Greater Elder
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: 4 small medkits in starting inventory
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2007, 02:25 »

The issue has come up before. IIRC monsters don't pick up the meds on easy (which doesn't help you at H).
But I don't think the player should start with all the meds. Why should the first level be treated that much different from any other level? Maybe the placement of the meds could be changed to give the player a better chance of reaching them before the baddies.
"Morality is merely a convention with which men mutually agree to delude themselves. There are no moral facts, just preferences, and one is no better than any other."

DisaffectedBeta

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2007, 04:09 »

Yeah, even a chance to get them might be better.  Maybe a single medkit in the inventory as a standard issue, but not all of them.

I don't quit, I just deal with it, if they do take them.  But unless I play really carefully and get lucky with good health items early, I usually die early.

Conker

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2007, 08:51 »

Why should the first level be treated that much different from any other level?

Because on the other levels, whether the monsters use up resources or not is down to your skill/tactics. If you choose to pop away at a human with a pistol when you could sneak up and one shot him with your shotgun, it's really your fault if he uses up a large medkit or whatever that could have been yours. Whereas on the first level, to my mind, it's random. Not much you can do to one shot them.

I agree that perhaps all 4 is a bit much. 2 guaranteed would be nice.
Pages: [1]