Chaosforge Forum

• April 25, 2024, 07:33
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Updated manual.txt  (Read 1924 times)

Conker

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Updated manual.txt
« on: August 22, 2007, 20:47 »

Pretty low down on the totem pole, obviously, but it'd be nice. There are a lot of unexplained things. Modding isn't touched upon at all, in there. I suspect the mod-limit would be useful information for new players (so they'd know to get Whizkid ;)).

A brief summary of items and monsters would also be good. It's rather needed for some items - the thermonuclear bomb springs to mind, to avoid poor newbie suicides. And to solve a few other issues with it (I admit, what drove me to make this post was having the option to nuke the level I'm on - while invincible, obviously - but not knowing if that'd obliterate all the items or leave them, or give me exp from the monsters, or anything like that. The manual didn't contain any of that information).

Other matters that could benefit from a little elucidation would be the fact that accuracy is affected by range, and by moving from side to side, and perhaps a few vague teaser descriptions of some special levels/weapons for flavour?

Most, if not all the above information can be found on the site, but as an ease of use thing, it'd be wonderful to have the manual as a handy compendium of DoomRL lore as opposed to having to scour the wiki and various forum posts to find the answer needed. My only concern is that perhaps the proposed information would be too spoilerish? I'm a poor judge of that myself - I read spoilers on every RL I play (the 'fun' of cockatrice, ghul, and drolem insta-deaths in Nethack, ADOM and Angband respectively made sure of that), so I've somewhat lost my appreciation for mystery :P

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
Re: Updated manual.txt
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2007, 12:29 »

Conker, the maunual is on the wiki - http://doom.chaosforge.org/wiki/index.php?title=Manual

You are free to edit it, and I'll submit the changes with the next version :) (that would be even encouraged!)

A couple of comments though :

-- no info on the Thermonuke should go into the manual. This is a kind of a special joke artifact, and I'd like it to stay both a surprise and a mystery to a player that doesn'y explicitly search for spoilers. Thermo is fun :)

-- the same goes for the special levels, the alternate endings and for the LS.

-- the other things are a good thing to include :) (some of them maybe under a special section "Advanced tactics")
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz
Pages: [1]