Chaosforge Forum

• March 29, 2024, 08:47
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: New Special Level?  (Read 5807 times)

RickVoid

• Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
New Special Level?
« on: September 19, 2007, 16:02 »

I had an idea for a new Special Level.

A WarHammer 40K level. :)

The Marine appears on a Space Hulk. The level is populated with Demons, Imps, and HellKnights. At the end of the level (all "daemons" destroyed) a Space Marine appears, says some WH40K lines (praises to the God-Emperor, etc) and gifts our character with:

Bolt Pistol: Fires three rounds per shot, uses 10mm ammo, and since it's a pistol, can be used in the AoMr challenge (and dual wielded!)

I would also recommend a suit of Adeptus Astartes Mk.V Power Armor (indestructable, but defense is only 5), but we already have Angelic Armor.

UnDoomish? Probably.
Potentially Hilarious? You bet!

Will post a potential ASCII map of the Space Hulk later, if there is any interest in this.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 16:04 by RickVoid »
Campbell: Snake, press the action button.
Snake: ... What?
Campbell: The action button, on the control pad.
Snake: What!?

Silhar

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Brigadier General
  • Get psyched!
    • View Profile
Re: New Special Level?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007, 06:37 »

Hey, I like it ! But only if that level would be an easter egg, hard to discover (for example, you have to use a phase device on down stairs leading to level 13). But I'll rather vote for a second bolter or a cool close-combat weapon instead of Adeptus armor...

Potman

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2007, 07:52 »

cool close-combat weapon

Chainsword.
Chainaxe.
Power sword.
Power fist.
Power claw.
Thunder Hammer (and Stormshield).
etc.

Yes.

Silhar

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Brigadier General
  • Get psyched!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2007, 11:32 »

Chainsword.
Chainaxe.

Hm, we've got a chainsaw.
But power sword ! Or a Thunder Hammer !
And think about using it with new juggler... !

Malek Deneith

• Grand Inquisitor Emeritus
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2007, 03:30 »

Oh boy, good one. Actually such "joke" levels could be good unlockables for the that one of rank categories that doesn't give anything yet (havn't played for some time so I don't remember was it "military" ranks or "race" ranks ;P)
Inquisition - saving your soul, one bolter shell at a time.
Spoiler: "Hackmaster Kills" (click to show/hide)

Silhar

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Brigadier General
  • Get psyched!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2007, 03:36 »

Military ones give you new difficulties and challenges. These are races, that doesn't you give anything except satisfaction...
So, when gaining a rank game should show something like :... ?
"Congratulations ! You've shown a great determination and advanced to Former Human rank !
Use a phase device level 13 down stairs and get your prize !"

Conker

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2007, 06:58 »

Hey, I like it ! But only if that level would be an easter egg, hard to discover (for example, you have to use a phase device on down stairs leading to level 13). But I'll rather vote for a second bolter or a cool close-combat weapon instead of Adeptus armor...

Things of that obscurity would only be discovered by spoilers (it's not like the game has hundreds of thousands of players for trying random nonsensical things). Which makes the obscurity pointless in the first place.

Perhaps it's only available if the player has 100% kills to that point?

Potman

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2007, 07:25 »

But using phase device would make the level unaccessable on Angel of Impatience.

Const

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2007, 09:27 »

But using phase device would make the level unaccessable on Angel of Impatience.

In current version, some special levels also uncompatible with some challenges.
For example, full victory is unaccessable on Angel of Purity.
Badges [B/S/G/P/D]
16/12/5/1/0

Silhar

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Brigadier General
  • Get psyched!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2007, 11:47 »

(it's not like the game has hundreds of thousands of players for trying random nonsensical things).

Sure it isn't that popular. So when getting a race rank, secret would be revealed, as I wrote here :
Military ones give you new difficulties and challenges. These are races, that doesn't you give anything except satisfaction...
So, when gaining a rank game should show something like :... ?
"Congratulations ! You've shown a great determination and advanced to Former Human rank !
Use a phase device level 13 down stairs and get your prize !"

007bistromath

• Backer
  • First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2007, 12:25 »

I think it would be better to put strange things like this in the form of unlockables. Weird, tricksy secrets are kind of fun, but I can't think of any that wouldn't seem dumb and arbitrary in this particular game.

Though I have thought periodically that Kornel should make his name a code of some kind. :p

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2007, 12:27 »

Things of that obscurity would only be discovered by spoilers (it's not like the game has hundreds of thousands of players for trying random nonsensical things). Which makes the obscurity pointless in the first place.
Well the Full win was quite obscure (first one needed to discover a use for the thermo, and then come up with it's tie to the endgame, and then have quite some luck to test it out) but it got discovered nonetheless...

I still chuckle remembering when the first time a guy came with a full win, and people hissed and boo'ed him for posting a "forged" mortem :P.
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Silhar

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Brigadier General
  • Get psyched!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2007, 12:29 »

And what do you think about RickVoid's idea ?

Blade

• Tester
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
    • Upyachka
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2007, 07:29 »

I like the idea of secret special levels. But not as a prize for achieving one of "race" ranks. If this level would give something useful to the player, then this would mean that players with higher "race" rank would have an easier game than players with lower rank. Game difficulty shouldn't be modified by amount of killed monsters during your last runs, imho. If this level won't have anything useful(even exp), then after visiting it 1 or 2 times, all players will simply ignore it. Is there are any reason to create useless uninteresting secret level as a prize for "race" rank? Only way to make useless secret level interesting is to make it not ordinary(fun level full of teleporters, where you should find your way to the exit, or level-shooting range, where you get all weapons and mods, and a lot of ammo, but after exiting, you get back your inventory that was yours before this level, or idea, suggested by RickVoid, or many others).

If not "race" rank prize, than this level could be easter egg and useful at the same time. The only requirement is to hide it quite well. I remember level for original DooM(Evilution, or Plutonia, i'm not sure), where you are finding your way out of labyrinth full of AVs. There are possibility to create such level in DooMRL, and where after right combination of pressed switches(all over the labyrinth) you gain access to stairs to that special secret level. So you could solve puzzle by yourself, but also you could reach certain "race" rank, after what you get tip, how to solve it.
Low orbit ion cannon damaged my brain!!1
Now i'm an idiot!1 Kill me, somebody!!11
Pages: [1]