Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 07:41
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: ALIENS RL2 "fan Continuation of project when source is released"  (Read 7215 times)

PrivateFC-barnEbiss

• Private FC
    • View Profile

Here are my suggestions for an updated version for ALIENS RL2 When the source is released for ALIENS RL

“Standard Game Mode”  version is one man army like in standard version of ALIENS RL

“Campaign Mode
first level of game is marines area where equipment can be gotten and other marines recruited into squad.   Once you get your squad recruited move to the D “stands for Dropship” for deployment to ground map. 

Once the colony is has been sweeped marines or player is getting kicked by the aliens on the map just head back to the landing zone and back to main ship.

EXP points could maybe be gotten by evacing civs to the dropzone and off the map.

Also in campaign mode colonists should be scattered randomly around a map that can be rescued or armed with weapons.
1.NPC recruitment for recruiting survivors on
2.Order options for giving orders to NPC like in the Warp Rogue game that allows you to give advanced orders like hold and stay and so on. See link http://sourceforge.net/projects/todoom

And also simple net play for LAN play between two computers so people can  fight aliens with their friends :P

Also maps should have a blue line outline like was seen in ALIENS on the tactical map in the APC as the marines enter the hive. That would give it a really nice feel :D
This could maybe be done by making a tile system for the walls.

Sound off on what you guys think? And once the source is put out for ALIENS RL would anyone be interested in implementing any of the above stuff?

BDR

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: ALIENS RL2 "fan Continuation of project when source is released"
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2007, 15:18 »

1. AliensRL isn't done yet.

2. No guarantee Kornel would release the source even then, and almost certainly not now (unless of course someone corrects me, but I doubt it ;) ).

3. Unless Kornel dies or suffers a horrible setback, it's probably going to stay his baby.

4. Suggestions for a sequel are only really worthwhile IMO if someone's stepping up to the plate and making it; dreams are nice and all, but unless someone is inspired enough to put in some work that's all they can be.  Now, maybe someone can come up with a suggestion that provides this kind of inspiration, but how often does that happen?  Player suggestions make it into independent games, yes, but still not a lot, and there's a lot of chance involved when it comes to someone dedicating their time and energy to something that isn't guaranteed to be profitable.  Not that it *doesn't* happen (for which I am grateful :) ) but it doesn't necessarily happen often, and for every independent project/person that succeeds there's at least three that fail (if not more).

5. Your suggestions already are on their way to making this game a lot of work.  Net play, for example, isn't FWIH easy to put together, and there's AI for teammates, enemies, civilians/survivors... it sounds neat, but it's non-trivial to put together (all worthwhile games are non-trivial, obviously, but the work part of making a game is a key part of why a fair amount of people stop working...).  As approximated in 4, the dream is neat, and I might like to play this game too, but unless someone is willing to work hard (I don't have the coding knowledge or, I suspect, the disposition to do this) at it it's just not gonna happen.

...You can call me Buzzkill if you'd like. :P
« Last Edit: September 22, 2007, 15:26 by BDR »

PrivateFC-barnEbiss

• Private FC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2007, 19:32 »

I talked with him last night on the IRC channel and he said he does indeed plan to release the source code for ALIENRL. and he is planning to move on to other projects. so ALIENSRL will not be worked on any more after he gets the last few things added in for the next release.

BDR

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2007, 01:04 »

Any more *at all*?  Or just not anytime soon (6 months to a year before any more work done-ish)?  He does a lot of work for one guy, that's for sure, and it seems he works on one thing for a month or three, then on another project for the next length of time, and so on.

PrivateFC-barnEbiss

• Private FC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2007, 09:48 »

What he said was, he does not have the time to work on ALIENS RL and in october when he does have time he wants to focus it on working on his other projects so,  ALIENS RL will be basicly dead thats why he plans to release the source code so people can keep working on it if they want.

SaThaRiel

• Private FC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2007, 11:21 »

Would be really nice. Also i dont need to much more changes the actual beta should be also released for linux and there maybe some balancing on the basic gameplay needed. Looking forward to new releases, im sure it will work out as one of the greatest games ever :D

PrivateFC-barnEbiss

• Private FC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2007, 12:00 »

One thing that would be really nice would be to have it take fonts from a BMP file so people could make their own font styles. How hard would it be to have it use custom fonts that a person could drop their font into a font folder inside the game folder and have it use the fonts in that BMP file. Even if the maker of this game did not implement graphics for costume inventory art on the side of the screen if he could implement users being able to put in their own made up fonts I would be very happy.

torch

• Elder
  • Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2007, 04:18 »

What he said was, he does not have the time to work on ALIENS RL and in october when he does have time he wants to focus it on working on his other projects so,  ALIENS RL will be basicly dead thats why he plans to release the source code so people can keep working on it if they want.

Hmmm...this is very interesting.  I have recently finished writing an engine test for a zombie survival game (not RL, just single player squad turn based strategy with graphics, action points etc.).  I kept thinking that the game would be more interesting with the Aliens universe.  I didn't want to though, because I have a lot of respect for people like Kornel and felt that there would be an element of toe-stepping going on. 

However, if he feels that he has done his bit I am tempted to adapt my game.  After all, zombies have been done to death ;) . 

I must think some more. 
the monsters are looking forward to your make-believe visit

PrivateFC-barnEbiss

• Private FC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2007, 06:47 »

Well it would be great if you where to work on expanding ALIENSRL when Kornel stops working on it. or work on a new updated version of ALIENSRL that maybe had some grafics. I'm sure Kornel would not mind you working on a new version. If you do work on a new ALIENS RL type game please keep us informed here. also check out my icon thread I did. you might find my interface icons handy :)

PrivateFC-barnEbiss

• Private FC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2007, 10:48 »

Here is an image of a glowing alien type font I have working on.

SaThaRiel

• Private FC
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2007, 11:18 »

I COULD SEE - BUT NOW I AM BLIND!!!! :P
Looks nice, i have to say. Good work - what does a "," (top of the picture) mean?

PrivateFC-barnEbiss

• Private FC
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2007, 11:59 »

well in my mind it looked sorta like a little face hugger :P becouse its got the little tail :P and is smaller then any of the other alien monster fonts :)
Pages: [1]