Chaosforge Forum

• April 23, 2024, 18:26
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Shotgun Overhaul  (Read 21357 times)

Potman

• Major
    • View Profile
Shotgun Overhaul
« on: October 01, 2007, 05:03 »

I've dished out this suggestion at least once before, but figured that we'd need an own thread for it, to prevent off-topic and such. So yeah, I reckon shotguns are kinda weak in the current version, and I used to be a fan of them in the original, so here's what I suggest:

a) Reduce the spread of combat shotgun. Currently, when you use Shottyman - and you should, if you plan on wielding shotguns - shotgun and combat shotgun don't have any differences. So I reckon that while the plain shotty should stay as it is, the combat shotgun's spread should be reduced quite dramatically. I remember how I could always take down an imp with a single shot of this in the original Doom, even from afar. This won't be possible anymore. Hell, I can't even kill a former human from farther than four spaces. So the change would make sense for not only the game balance, but also in keeping the RL version more faithful to the original.

b) More, for the lack of better word, pellets, to double shotgun. Right now it's only kinda faster version of regular shotgun, firing two shots at once instead of one. It's not really nearly as effective as it should be. Like, in the original, this could do damage comparable to rocket launcher on close distance. The Doom wiki tells that the double shotgun fires in fact as much as three times the pellets the normal shotty fires - 20 versus 7. So one shot of double shotgun is comparable to nearly three shots of the regular. Spread could be increased as well.

So to what will this bring us? Firstly, the combat shotgun will maintain its power quite better to the later stages of the game, being able to snipe even stronger enemies from afar. Secondly, the double shotgun could now be used to take down many, many weak enemies at once with the massive spread, or to deal out quite humongous damage from up close. The players could have both at the same time, using combat shotgun to single targets, and switching to double shotgun for weak masses and close combat.

Your thoughts?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2007, 05:05 by Potman »

Blade

• Tester
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
    • Upyachka
Re: Shotgun Overhaul
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2007, 07:43 »

Great! That's all i want.)
Low orbit ion cannon damaged my brain!!1
Now i'm an idiot!1 Kill me, somebody!!11

Potman

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2007, 10:57 »

Oh and one other thing: How hard would it be to switch the double shotgun firing sound with the original one? Because that one was among the manliest weapon sounds I've ever heard.

Silhar

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Brigadier General
  • Get psyched!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2007, 11:35 »

Quote from: Kazimierz Marcinkiewicz
Yes ! Yes ! Yes !

Any comments needed there ? :)

Blade

• Tester
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
    • Upyachka
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2007, 12:12 »

Oh and one other thing: How hard would it be to switch the double shotgun firing sound with the original one? Because that one was among the manliest weapon sounds I've ever heard.

Imho that is very easy. Also in topic Fixed Sound? there are Sounds.rar that i attached to my post that contains double shotty sound.

Potman

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2007, 12:43 »

It won't go... It just stops the download.

Blade

• Tester
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
    • Upyachka
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2007, 13:24 »

Works fine to me. I attached it to this message, can you download it?

Potman

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2007, 13:31 »

Yeah, now it worked. Thanks.

Potman

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2007, 00:24 »

Hmm, Blade? After some testing, it'd seem that your voice pack didn't change the shotgun voice at all. But it did bring back the old lost soul voices that had been changed already by the official version.

Blade

• Tester
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
    • Upyachka
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2007, 04:42 »

Hmm, Blade? After some testing, it'd seem that your voice pack didn't change the shotgun voice at all. But it did bring back the old lost soul voices that had been changed already by the official version.

Now game is using same bind for shotty, combat shotty and double shotty, there are no separation for them, so you can set double shotty sound if you'd like it for all shotties. But imho it's not so hard to change for Kornel that shotty and double shotty would use different bindings.

List of what this bindings does:
1) Former sergeant, former captain, and former commando are now using sounds different from former human sounds. Now it's possible to determine, who is behind the door, former human, or someone of human kind, but more dangerous.
2) Lost soul is using it's sound from original DooM. It's could be easily switched back if you think it's annoying.
3) General change - Arachnotron is now using his proper sounds. Sounds much better, imho.))

Sounds.rar also contains double shotty sound and BoH sounds that are not used right now, but it would be nice to use them in next version, when double shotty binding would be separated from shotty and HK sounds would be separated from BoH's.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2007, 04:43 by Blade »

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2007, 10:24 »

I just reworked the shotguns a little --

1) now separate bindings for shotgun sounds are possible. (double shotty has proper sound now)
2) combat shotgun now has a smaller spread, but lower range penalty - 50% damage at 10 squares, as opposed to the shotguns 30%)
3) double shotgun has max range 8, with 50% at 5 squares, but damage is x3 and not x2. Also it's spread is higher now.

How does that sound? (no pun intended)
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Blade

• Tester
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
    • Upyachka
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2007, 10:30 »

That sounds cool!))

Potman

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2007, 10:51 »

Sounds cool. Do shotguns only do 30% outside the sight range? Didn't know that. Or am I just misunderstanding something?

Regardless, now I'm really waiting for the new patch.

Silhar

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Brigadier General
  • Get psyched!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2007, 11:27 »

Once again :
"Long live the God Hand !"

007bistromath

• Backer
  • First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2007, 13:23 »

Well, it seems like you want to represent the doublegun as a sawed-off. If so, rather than making it x3, I would've made it 8d3x2. A smaller, but still significant increase that doesn't have the weird suggestion that maybe you are using a triple-barreled shotgun.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All