Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 17:22
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Predator?  (Read 12563 times)

Malek Deneith

• Grand Inquisitor Emeritus
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
Predator?
« on: December 07, 2007, 05:20 »

I decided to throw this idea to forums first, as I'm not sure does it fit AleinsRL.

Namely how about having a slight random chance that during the game there will be an predator running rampant somewhere. This could bring some twist into the game. For some players only indication could be that there is something else running around would be lesser amounts of aliens in some areas (and corpses lying around). Others, that get less lucky, and become preds hunting target (chance of becoming a target increased if they get stronger in skills - i.e. more "worthy"?).
Inquisition - saving your soul, one bolter shell at a time.
Spoiler: "Hackmaster Kills" (click to show/hide)

DaEezT

• Local Inquisitor
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Predator?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2007, 11:55 »

I thought about Predators too, but more along the lines of a special boss (like JC) or maybe a different play mode.
"Morality is merely a convention with which men mutually agree to delude themselves. There are no moral facts, just preferences, and one is no better than any other."

Daqin

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2007, 07:15 »

I was thinking about exactly same thing. Some lone pred lurking around. Maybe attracted by distress or warning signal of ancient relic alien ship wreckage some distance away from the colony.. (by the way.. I wonder if any of you noticed masterpiece circle connecting all alien and pred movies together: have you noticed that bones of the alien in the first Alien movie are actually bones of the predator ? And the young alien shooting through out of the chest of slain predator at the end scene of AvP ? Now you know what happenned next..:)
Predator sounds and fluorescentive blood here and there could alert of predator's presence.

Silhar

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Brigadier General
  • Get psyched!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2007, 11:45 »

I like the idea... would give more climate to the game.

Okay, soul of munchkin speaks now : "Can I take his equipment, please ?". ;)

Daqin

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2007, 01:09 »

I like the idea... would give more climate to the game.

Okay, soul of munchkin speaks now : "Can I take his equipment, please ?". ;)

And what would you do with, say, shoulder blaster, huh ? lol :P
And I don't think you would do much good with spear.. Spear gun maybe, but smartgun's better :)
Heh, maybe master lev technical skill could allow equip part of the the pred's stuff like shoulder cannon and cloaking device.. if you also have master fitness skill to be able to carry it, that is. Hah!

Silhar

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Brigadier General
  • Get psyched!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2007, 11:58 »

Exactly. :)

Karry

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2007, 16:03 »

Namely how about having a slight random chance that during the game there will be an predator running rampant somewhere.
How about ALWAYS having a single predator in the game, but the location and travel desicions he make are absolutely random, in that he does NOT specifically seek the player out, he just IS, maybe even ignoring the player randomly.

I wonder if any of you noticed masterpiece circle connecting all alien and pred movies
Its not a masterpiece circle, it started as a joke - and it ended as a joke. AvP idea basically butchered the whole premise of the Alien, this unknown and creepy creature that lurks in the shadows, instead, in AvP universe they became just a bunch of mindless bugs who get exterminated on a regular basis, what a joke. The games were actually pretty good, its just that they could swap Aliens with whatever stupid animal they wanted to, and it would be of no difference.

[/rant off]

Daqin

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2008, 04:50 »

I wonder if any of you noticed masterpiece circle connecting all alien and pred movies
Its not a masterpiece circle, it started as a joke - and it ended as a joke. AvP idea basically butchered the whole premise of the Alien, this unknown and creepy creature that lurks in the shadows, instead, in AvP universe they became just a bunch of mindless bugs who get exterminated on a regular basis, what a joke. The games were actually pretty good, its just that they could swap Aliens with whatever stupid animal they wanted to, and it would be of no difference.

[/rant off]

I don't know what is so funny about it. And maybe you play too much AvP games in comparision to movies. I speak about movies only, not mix it with game enviroment and whatever ideas created there. Whole movie series are perfectly connected in my opinion and there is answer where aliens actualy come from. I think you didn't grasp it, maybe think again about whole picture the movies make. And maybe try to imagine it, see the point, instead of emotional kick-in of whatever comes to your mind. There is more in AvP movie then you may suspect, however it seems you missed the details (that's propably from expectations based on fact that movie came after the game) thinking it is movie about the game maybe.. heh.

Karry

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2008, 05:24 »

AvP movies were total crap, as is most Hollywood production since the second half of 90s, so i dont think there is anything to talk about seriously. And lets be honest about it, most game2movie adaptations were twice as crappy as other movies.

Daqin

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2008, 05:42 »

AvP movies were total crap, as is most Hollywood production since the second half of 90s, so i dont think there is anything to talk about seriously. And lets be honest about it, most game2movie adaptations were twice as crappy as other movies.

Maybe I am not in the news (in travel more than a year) but I know about only one AvP movie. And second, AvP movie is not game2movie adaptation at all. It shares the name only which fits perfectly into Alien and Predator movie scene.

Karry

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2008, 14:10 »

There was a second movie a while back, and it was pretty bad.

As for the games - do you honestly think that without the games there would still be a movie ? I dont think so. Thats exactly the warped mentality of movie producers of this century.

aoanla

• Elder
  • Private FC
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2008, 05:50 »

Actually, of course, the AvP movie started out (before the FPS games, by the way - but not before the console games which started just after the comics) as an attempt to adapt the generally excellent Aliens vs Predator comic. Along the way, as with all scripts in Hollywood, it went through major changes (the earliest leaked script I've seen had already moved the action to a jungle setting, rather than the desert/prairie of the comic), ending up in the significantly dumbed-down, and totally different AvP film that we actually got. This entire process took something like a decade+ (the comic was released in the early 90s, and the film seems to have entered script writing somewhere in the mid 90s...).

Coming back to the original discussion - I fully support the idea of a randomly occurring Predator (guaranteed in any given game, but randomly located), but it does seem a little unfair to let people use its equipment. (That said, there is at least movie-canon for the throwing disk being human-useable...)

Daqin

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2008, 03:47 »

Actually, of course, the AvP movie started..

I wonder who the hell knows how it did come out ? Only thing you can do is to see the movie, and I think it is pointless to think about origins in this way especialy if they don't seem to have much connection to what we assume may be. Just look at movies alone and what's there. That makes whole picture and makes sense (movie is not about director and why, where things come from -in paper RPG games it is called meta gaming and thinking -you play character as if it knows is playing game and knows the rules.. instead of beeing in game world).
« Last Edit: January 19, 2008, 03:50 by Daqin »

aoanla

• Elder
  • Private FC
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2008, 05:45 »

Actually, of course, the AvP movie started..

I wonder who the hell knows how it did come out ? Only thing you can do is to see the movie, and I think it is pointless to think about origins in this way especialy if they don't seem to have much connection to what we assume may be. Just look at movies alone and what's there. That makes whole picture and makes sense (movie is not about director and why, where things come from -in paper RPG games it is called meta gaming and thinking -you play character as if it knows is playing game and knows the rules.. instead of beeing in game world).

Except, of course, that there's evidence that 20th Century Fox consider at least some of the comics to be canonical, and the makers of the second AvP film (Requiem, out now) have noted in interviews that they consider some of the plot lines to be influenced by the FPS games. So, we should consider canon to be whatever seems to work (an example of why you can't "just look at movies alone" is given by the case of the Highlander films and TV show. Even though Highlander 2 was considered canon when it was released, the subsequent films (and the TV show) have all considered it to not be canon. This suggests that canon is somewhat more complex than you suggest.)
Also, the AvP original film doesn't make much sense in the canon of the Aliens films, although it does somewhat agree with the Predator films...

Cyber Killer

• Elder
  • Sergeant
  • cyberpunk
    • View Profile
    • CK's site
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2008, 06:35 »

AVP as a general idea is a mistake IMHO. the Alien movies were great, the Predator movies also, but as with most crossovers it worked out only to a small degree.

Besides AliensRL is set in time somewhere around Alien 2 ("Aliens") and there is no guarantee that the Predator race still exists. Anyway it would spoil the great feel of the game.

BTW: Speaking of games with Aliens: Alien Quake TC was a far better FPS than any part of AvP :-P.
Pages: [1] 2  All