Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 15:45
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 43

Author Topic: Challenge modes ideas - old and new.  (Read 291145 times)

Potman

• Major
    • View Profile
Re: Challenge modes ideas - old and new.
« Reply #60 on: February 07, 2008, 23:58 »

I think I could take 'em.

Conker

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 08, 2008, 04:55 »

Nice ideas, Dawgas. Original at least. But the first one I think would be (slightly) easier than you predict. The second... We can't have *that guy* as a regular monster, imagine packs of him. It makes my brain melt.

Dawgas

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 08, 2008, 14:34 »

Nice ideas, Dawgas. Original at least. But the first one I think would be (slightly) easier than you predict. The second... We can't have *that guy* as a regular monster, imagine packs of him. It makes my brain melt.

Thanks, I don't think so, and if the GIBLIFICATION challenge is too easy, get rid of the free traits then.

Also, Angel of Angels is SUPPOSED to be hard. Having packs of Cyberdemons is kinda the point... At least it's better than ARCHVILES EVERYWHERE LOL

also...

Angel of Insanity
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Malek Deneith

• Grand Inquisitor Emeritus
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 08, 2008, 16:26 »

Archviles can't rez other Archviles.... so hard but not as insanely as you predict. Besides IMO it's not enough to make "OMG Blade+20 hardness level" challenges - the catch is to make a challenge that is catches players interest somehow. For example Ao100 is generally considered quite easy, but it's played by lots of pople because of fun factor involved.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 16:28 by Malek Deneith »
Inquisition - saving your soul, one bolter shell at a time.
Spoiler: "Hackmaster Kills" (click to show/hide)

Potman

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 09, 2008, 01:08 »

Angel of Escape, perhaps? I mean, there was once a challenge idea that'd make you escape hell instead of entering it. Well, in my idea, you'd first descend to the deepest bowels of oblivion, kill CD (and maybe JC), and then must also get back up. All the levels, along with possible special levels, will be generated from the scratch, and there's also another CD waiting for you in the hangar level, whom you must also kill. (If you blow him with a nuke while invincible, you'll get to fight Kornel).

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
« Reply #65 on: February 09, 2008, 07:41 »

Why do all of you guys want' to kill me so badly D:
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Xael

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 09, 2008, 10:23 »

I came up with a new idea: what do you think of unchallanges? The game is suppose to be all about entertainment, right? So we can make modes in which gameplay is easier in some unusual way. These modes can mirror the challanges ( and they should also be unlocked by beating challanges). For example:

X of carnage - You are immune to splash damage. You also start with a rocket launcher and  plenty of rockets. Rockets and BFG blasts do more damage. Also more enemies to fry.

X of berserk - You are very fast, strong and healthy. Your damage in hand-to-hand combat is amplified, and you burst into rage a lot. (a mirror of the angel of berserk).

X of burden: You have unlimited inventory (or maybe you have 20 slots, but ammo and items stack indefenitely. A mirror of the AoLt).

Also I have a challange idea:

Angel of something:

Everyone in the game (both you and monsters) have only one hp (copied directly from DMC).

Dawgas

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 09, 2008, 14:27 »

Blade

• Tester
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
    • Upyachka
« Reply #68 on: February 09, 2008, 17:05 »

Add several more AVs into Hell's Armory(and other places too, they are so nice and cute and have so cool soundbindings, so let's use them on every level!), and i too will vote "yay" for challenge where you need to kill Kornel to win.))
Low orbit ion cannon damaged my brain!!1
Now i'm an idiot!1 Kill me, somebody!!11

Dawgas

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 09, 2008, 19:15 »

I KNOW! LETS PUT ARCHVILES ON THE FIRST LEVEL TOO LOL

Potman

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 10, 2008, 01:05 »

Conker

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 15, 2008, 01:34 »

Angel of Silence - Sound effects are disabled (no 'Ah, that cry of pain means there's a Baron somewhere over there where I fired my rocket launcher' anymore). Difficulty: Easy

Solarn

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 22, 2008, 15:35 »

Hehe... and the Former Snorbs would horde Blue Armors and Medkits without using them =p
Former Solarns would hog chainguns and 10mm ammo and mull endlessly over what to drop to make space for another medkit or weapon mod. Oh, and they would fire down corridors from around the corner. With a chaingun.

Angel of Scavenging. 

Difficulty - MEDIUM

Woah there champ, I think you meant HARD.
If AoB is Medium, then so should be that one. I have nothing against AoB and I WILL GET THROUGH MORE THAN THREE LEVELS OF IT ONE DAY I SWEAR, but Angel of Scavenging sounds actually easier than it.

If you had to do that challenge in order to unlock anything, I'd quit playing the game. It's ridiculous. Levers are absolutely not worth pulling without Intuition. The stuff they do is too dangerous, and the good ones don't show up often enough. It's actually much worse than in the original, I've thought that's needed a fix for a long time. See my "tying map features to loot" thread.
I always pull levers... maybe that's why I always die before Cybie. Well, actually, no, that's because I keep forgetting which level exits to the Mortuary and keep entering the red staircase on Hell lvl7.

I can't help it, it might be a monster-spawning lever! (almost) Free XP!

Angel of Silence - Sound effects are disabled (no 'Ah, that cry of pain means there's a Baron somewhere over there where I fired my rocket launcher' anymore). Difficulty: Easy
The only level where I would dare to use a rocket launcher against a Baron is The Wall. Otherwise, I'd fear destroying loot too much. Now, Arachnotrons and Archviles, that's another story. Plasma that eats through armor like something that eats through armor very quickly and rez ability take priority over loot.

Oh, and so I'm not simply quoting the entire thread from the start, here's a challenge idea:

Oh, also this is my first post. Please be gentle with me. *bows*
« Last Edit: February 23, 2008, 06:51 by Solarn »

Chamber

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 29, 2008, 13:09 »

I like the idea.  It seems to me that the only real reason to include the advanced weapon is due to the Arch-Vile's high power.  Add a line of code that severly reduces its HP for the first few levels, and it will be a great tactical challenge.

There is one problem, though.  As of last version, killing monsters revived by the Arch-Vile does not grant the player experience.  So you'd have to make an exception for this challenge, or win the game with only 24*Arch-Vile Experience Worth points. 

How about Angel of the Living Dead for a title?

Potman

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 01, 2008, 01:49 »

Angel of Revenge: Whenever you kill a monster, all other monsters in its immediate vicinity will gain one level either in TaN, Hellrunner, or SoaB, to the maximum of three. You kill three monsters around that poor former human, and he goes "Nooo! You killed my friends! Reveenge!" and then he has two in SoaB and one in TaN, or vice versa, or just three in TaN or one in each skill or something.

This will make The Wall and City of Skulls pretty painful.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 43