Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 01:08
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 43

Author Topic: Challenge modes ideas - old and new.  (Read 290926 times)

Solarn

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Challenge modes ideas - old and new.
« Reply #75 on: March 27, 2008, 08:22 »

I like the idea.  It seems to me that the only real reason to include the advanced weapon is due to the Arch-Vile's high power.  Add a line of code that severly reduces its HP for the first few levels, and it will be a great tactical challenge.

There is one problem, though.  As of last version, killing monsters revived by the Arch-Vile does not grant the player experience.  So you'd have to make an exception for this challenge, or win the game with only 24*Arch-Vile Experience Worth points. 

How about Angel of the Living Dead for a title?

Hmm... reducing the Viles' HP for the first few levels (or rather, gradually increasing it as you go deeper) sounds like a good idea and makes it unnecessary to put a potentially overpowered weapon on the first level.

Both ways of going about XP have their merits. Getting XP from revived monsters for this challenge would reduce difficulty to manageable, but could be abused to get free XP by simply not killing the Vile as it resurrects the monsters again and again. And I have no idea if there is a way to only award XP for monsters after their first resurrection. On the other hand, only getting XP for the Viles would push the challenge beyond Very Hard difficulty, as you'd only be level 4 or maybe 5 by the time Arachnotrons and hordes of Barons and Mancubi (often together) started showing up. But it would be great for people who like that kind of challenge.

Angel of the Living Dead is an awesome name.

@Potman: That sounds pretty cool. And yeah, especially City of Skulls would make you bleed in that mode, since The Wall at least has a finite number of enemies that you can pick off one by one if you're crafty enough.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 08:51 by Solarn »

Chris_Lv255

• Private FC
  • Shottyman JR and Pistol Marksman
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 10, 2008, 16:39 »

Angel of Fools - This challenge commemorates April the First - the message "You feel relatively safe now" is no longer a good indicator of you being alone on the level...

25% of the message being accurate.

25% of the time, there will still be a monster or two lurking around. "You feel like a fool for not noticing the straggler(s)."

50% of the time, if the stairs are not in your line of sight, a horde of monsters will be spawned around it; if it is in your line of sight, the stair will have an additional 25% chance of teleporting you a certain distance from the stairs and spawning the horde of nasties around it.
"Surprise!" You were out of Line-of-sight of the downstair and found it surrounded by nasties.
"He was made a fool! (mortem)" You were killed by the nasties that spawned around the stairs.
"April's Fool has come and gone, you're the fools and I am none!" You killed the nasties around the stairs before going down it.
"You feel foolish for not noticing their presence." You fled down the stairs without killing the surprise nasties.
"You hear maniacal laughter as you are pulled in a non-existing direction." You were in line-of-sight of the stairs, and were forcefully teleported as nasties were spawned.
Needs more Peacemaker Revolver.

Potman

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 10, 2008, 23:17 »

I think that should only happen in April Fools, instead of being its own challenge.

Sachiko

• Sergeant
  • I hunt down Cheat-modders and collect their skulls
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 17, 2008, 11:54 »

Hmm, the idea of the April Fool's day nasty surprise looks good. Reminds me of ADOM, where depending on which day you create a character, certain things can happen to you.

Maybe there should also be a "Creator's Day" feature where, if you start the game on Kornel's Birthday, you get a bonus.

Of course, starting the game on other days, like, for example, a Friday the 13th, or a day with a day number that ends in 6 (Catch the reference!), you get penalties, like being weaker, needing more XP to get a new trait, demons being stronger or respawning even while not on Nightmare Difficulty, etc.
If you ever use cheat-mode, I'll go for you and kill you while you sleep.

ParaSait

• Baffen :P
  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
« Reply #79 on: April 17, 2008, 14:51 »

Yeah, reminds me of "7 days a skeptic", If you complete the game on the birthday of the creator, there is an extra day with a funny alternative ending.
[18|7|3|0|0|0] [MED:13/43] [SPE:36/67] [ASM:11/40]

Check out my epic youtube channel!
Currently playing The Bard's Tale and System Shock 2 (coop with GrAV1t)!

Sachiko

• Sergeant
  • I hunt down Cheat-modders and collect their skulls
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 18, 2008, 11:08 »

*Chuckle*

7 days a skeptic... Yeah, I remember it!

Respect to new challenges, which is what this suggestion is for, I have a new one myself...

-Angel of Bloodlust-

Your character is infused with a fragment of the spirit of Khorne, God of Blood. Due to this, you must taste blood every once in a while, or you will die!

If you stop being splashed in blood for a while, your health will begin degrading until you die.
However, as a counterweight, all of your attacks now do a lot more damage, and berserker packs last double the time.
If you ever use cheat-mode, I'll go for you and kill you while you sleep.

ParaSait

• Baffen :P
  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
« Reply #81 on: April 18, 2008, 11:20 »

Good suggestion. This one should be implemented and I don't think it's very hard to implement either.
[18|7|3|0|0|0] [MED:13/43] [SPE:36/67] [ASM:11/40]

Check out my epic youtube channel!
Currently playing The Bard's Tale and System Shock 2 (coop with GrAV1t)!

Potman

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 18, 2008, 13:56 »

Another Chaos challenge!

-Angel of Plague-

A-CHOO! You have caught some nasty case of cold from the chilling plains of Mars! It's sapping your life pretty quick, but hey, at least you can try and give it to your enemies as well. Plus the horrible agony of the disease has made you pretty much immune to any kind of pain!

You start the game with two extra points in Ironman. Meanwhile, your hit points decay constantly, as if you were boosted all the time - this can eventually kill you. The upside is, any enemy coming too close to you (two spaces or so) will catch the disease as well, and will spread it around themselves, even after they die! Badass will slow down the decay for you, though never compeletely stop it - and it will also increase the speed the enemies will lose HP from it.

That's halfway done. Two more to go.

Chris_Lv255

• Private FC
  • Shottyman JR and Pistol Marksman
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 26, 2008, 05:25 »

Yay, a Former Doomguy challenge!

Angel of Fallen Heros
You will often face the tortured souls of brave warriors who unsuccessfully tried to cleanse Hell of Evil before. They are well armed and intelligent, and will use what they find against you. Your task is to free them from their suffering as you attempt to do what they couldn't. -more-

This challenge makes use of your post mortems after you have quite a few. Initially, a set of about 16 pre-generated "Fallen Heros" will be generated, with pre-determined levels and random weapons/armor/equipment. They are also represented by the @ sign, which will be discoloured when compared to you. They are constrained by ammo, but are also capable of picking up and changing weapons and armor.

These Fallen will only spawn after "you feel relatively safe..." with the additional remark, "but suddenly, you feel a sense of pity mixed with dread as a shambling figure approaches..."

After you accumulate at least 16 post-mortems of death-files (Victorious marines will not be used!), these mortems will replace the pregenerated Fallen Heros. They will carry up to 6 items chosen at semi-random from their death inventory - 1 weapon + 1 slot of matching ammo, 1 suit of armor (if applicable), and 3 slots of randomly selected items. Beware a Fallen Hero armed with a BFG or a Unique that they held while they died!

The phrase "You feel like the Fallen Hero is finally at peace..." will display when you slay them and put them out of their misery.

The message "He was forced to join the ranks of the Fallen Heros!" will display if you are killed by one of these guys.
Needs more Peacemaker Revolver.

Vestin

• Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
  • Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 26, 2008, 06:45 »

Yay, a Former Doomguy challenge!

Angel of Fallen Heros

Ummm... Do you have any idea what the poll in this thread is about ;) ?

Norrock

• Private FC
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 27, 2008, 21:03 »

I vote for Angel of Hallucinations, Angel of Nukes, Angel of Shotguns, Angel of Death.

MegaMad

• Private FC
  • THE HACKS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 27, 2008, 21:10 »

I vote for Angel of Hallucinations, Angel of Nukes, Angel of Shotguns, Angel of Death.
The voting is already finished for now.
Luke, I am your father

Norrock

• Private FC
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 28, 2008, 17:11 »

But I want them D:

MegaMad

• Private FC
  • THE HACKS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 28, 2008, 21:23 »

But I want them D:
Well... too bad.

Also here's a challenge i could think of.

Angel of Phasing

At the start of the game the 2 small med-pack are replaced with 2 phase device and the other 2 small med-pack are at the entrence of phobo surface. There's is a small chance that you can get phased for no reason which can be annoying. 25% of the small med-packs becoming phase device and 10% of the large med-pack becoming homing phase device at the start of the level and there are teleporters at every level and more of them and more phase device and homing phase device are generated. Former captains and commandos have a phase device on them. Hellspawns(including the Cyberdemon but not JC and AOD) can phase around the level once and items can phase randomly across the level.
Luke, I am your father

Potman

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 29, 2008, 07:50 »

Angel of Demolitions:

Like making things go boom? Like seeing your enemies explode in a thousands of pieces? Then this challenge is for you! You start with a rocket launcher - and some ammo - but can't use any other kinds of weapons - apart from the unique rocket launchers, of course, Anti-Freak Jackal, and the Trigun's Angel Arm special ability.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 43