Chaosforge Forum

• April 23, 2024, 10:54
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 43

Author Topic: Challenge modes ideas - old and new.  (Read 294840 times)

Dakin

• Private FC
    • View Profile
Re: Challenge modes ideas - old and new.
« Reply #90 on: April 29, 2008, 10:56 »

Angel of control

This challenge mode allows you to control whatever body you like. You may enter the body of slain enemy, getting it's strengths and weaknesses, like HP, armor, abilities, etc. You retain inventory, however can't use weapons, if the body doesn't allow too, except the innate weapons. Your traits apply.

Potman

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 29, 2008, 12:12 »

As a weakness, you shouldn't be able to use any of your own weapons, either. Even in your own body.

dimi1205

• Private FC
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 01, 2008, 10:59 »

Angel of Flood
  • Acid makes twice more damage.
  • You're starting with plasteel boots.
  • Every time you make a move, acid floods the place you were standing before.
  • More boots and envirosuits are created.

Jagazaar

• Private FC
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 31, 2008, 05:01 »

In reference to this thread,

Angel of Confrontation

Pros: Less normal enemies, more/better items

Cons: Every floor has either a unique enemy (every floor except the 1st, special and boss floors), or a boss (every 5th floor)

The unique monster is of a type normally spawned by that floor, and is given bonuses to certain attributes, and/or a new ability (eg. former humans with dualgunner, imps with larger fireball explode radius, etc). Naturally, they give better XP than normal monsters (helps to offset the lower enemy count).

Boss floors are the same every time.

Solarn

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 18, 2008, 12:30 »

Fools, Flood and Confrontation all sound like wonderful ideas. I especially like the way Angel of Flood makes the entire game a lot more tactical. Sure, you have boots and acid isn't that damaging when compared to lava, but if you run around willy-nilly backtracking all the time like most people do in normal modes, you'll pretty soon make the entire level untraverseable for yourself, so you'd need to watch where your step and pay close attention to the paths you've travelled before. The water flood and wall demolition levers would become a lot more useful in this challenge.

ParaSait

• Baffen :P
  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
« Reply #95 on: June 26, 2008, 08:16 »

Angel of Myopia:
Difficulty: HARD

Description: "Before you entered Hell, you were so anxious that you've forgotten your glasses! It's not going to be easy without..."

Effect: Your FOV is reduced by 50%.

Angel of Necromancy:
Difficulty: BLADE

Description: "You are not a gunhero. Though you ARE accepted in a team of UAC marines bcause of your powelful talent. You have the power that makes Archviles Archviles. You are can resurrect anything that lived before. It's time to fight hell with its own weapons!"

Effect: You can't fight by yourself and you start off with a small legion of 3 shotguys that are on your side, who follow you and fight for you. If you find a dead body, you can resurrect him like an Archvile, at the cost of some HP (the stronger the monster, the more HP). Any resurrected monster by an Archvile that is one your side, is on your side!
[18|7|3|0|0|0] [MED:13/43] [SPE:36/67] [ASM:11/40]

Check out my epic youtube channel!
Currently playing The Bard's Tale and System Shock 2 (coop with GrAV1t)!

Passionario

• Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 26, 2008, 16:36 »

Angel of Monopoly

You are a high-ranking UAC official, travelling to Phobos on a surprise inspection trip disguised as a common marine. The monsters of Hell will be no match for your business instinct!

Pros: As a VIP of sorts, you start with a suit of red armor.

Cons:
1) Being a greedy bastard, you can't use the drop command ("You didn't get where you are by giving out things for FREE!")
2) For the same reason, you can't shoot while aiming at things other than monsters - that is, walls, doors, barrels and empty spaces. You *can* hit them if they happen to be in the way, but the intended target must be a monster ("That would be a waste of precious UAC resources!")
3) Since you aren't an actual Marine, you don't get to pick a starting trait - while you may learn things on the field of battle, you lack initial basic training.
4) Years of corporate intrigue instilled you with deep paranoia. You never receive the 'relatively safe' message.

------------

Angel of Telefrag

Dead monsters leave transporter globes (the stationary auto-teleport kind) instead of corpses. Mortuary is still corpse-strewn, though.

------------

Angel of Style

You refuse to blend in with the common herd.

Pros: You start with a randomly chosen weapon mod.
Cons: You can't shoot with unmodded nonunique weapons. Equipping unmodded nonqunique armor/boots provides no protection.
Who do you send when Warp can't get the job done?

ParaSait

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
« Reply #97 on: June 26, 2008, 16:55 »

Passionario, wouldn't a better name for challenge 1 be "Angel of Business" or "Angel of Greed"?

Chynn

• Private FC
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 02, 2008, 09:16 »

But I want them D:
Well... too bad.

Also here's a challenge i could think of.

Angel of Phasing

At the start of the game the 2 small med-pack are replaced with 2 phase device and the other 2 small med-pack are at the entrence of phobo surface. There's is a small chance that you can get phased for no reason which can be annoying. 25% of the small med-packs becoming phase device and 10% of the large med-pack becoming homing phase device at the start of the level and there are teleporters at every level and more of them and more phase device and homing phase device are generated. Former captains and commandos have a phase device on them. Hellspawns(including the Cyberdemon but not JC and AOD) can phase around the level once and items can phase randomly across the level.
I'd imagine it'd be more of a challenge/frustration by replacing phase devices altogether with a small percentage chance (like 1%) of random phasing while moving and a larger chance of it happening when hit in combat (like 25%). On harder modes, your shots would have a chance of "phasing through" your targets (including walls), causing no harm to them while hitting whatever is behind them.
And to believe my first dance with a Hell Knight (in v09810) ended with a melee kill...

Darkwaterotter

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 11, 2008, 13:54 »

I have an idea for a challenge mode
Angel of Unloading
all ammo you find is in a weapon already so no random ammo strewn about the level

Potman

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 12, 2008, 01:19 »

There'd have to be a lot more weapons lying around.

ParaSait

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
« Reply #101 on: July 12, 2008, 13:44 »

... Or maybe challenge where every item you pick up gets automatically destroyed after a certain time?

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 12, 2008, 18:52 »

I liked Angel of Silence. The idea scares the hell out of me (reminded me of how much I count on it), but that's a good thing :)

Now, a suggestion of my own. It's more a mod than it is a challenge, considering the slight alteration to storyline, and balance-risky pros and cons. I'm writing this more out of amusement.

Angel of Hell

UAC? Who the hell is that? The closest you got to being a space marine was beating one senseless in a bar fight. You're here on a psychopathic joyride - think of a toned-down, human version of Lobo. Indeed, you're the very worst of the infamous Hell's Angels.

Pros: you're mean - damn mean. You start with a +2 to each damage and armor and 20 more hit points. Additionally, you cause 6 bonus damage with the chainsaw, or any other brutal melee weapon (therefore, LS not included - cheesy mythical glowing pansy-weapon that it is. Neither is the measly knife. If only you had a crowbar...).

Cons: you're also completely lacking in training, or meaningful purpose, resulting in a -3 tohit. Well, not quite without purpose - you're wholly intent on bashing as many demon skulls in as possible (as a token of sheer badassness), all the while enjoying this site-seeing parade through the Abyss. You must kill any demon you face, so once you see one, you can't voluntarily let it leave your sight until it's dead, dead, dead. You also can't avoid any special level once you've seen the stairs to it - you can leave it for a while, but that becomes the only way down.
Last but not least, there is one thing you must always care for above all else - if you lose you're bike, which appears wherever you enter a new level, you collapse in tears, and give in to eternal grief. Boo-fucking-hoo. Naturally, all of hell's minions gravitate towards this awesome beacon of chaos and destruction.

ParaSait

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
« Reply #103 on: July 28, 2008, 11:53 »

Angel of Lost Souls (HARD)

"In the past, you have brutally taken the lives of so many creatures. Their revenge will be sweet..."

There are no regular monsters and every level is filled to the top with lost souls. And I really mean 20% of all tiles or even more! They even appear in special levels. In later levels, there will also start appearing loads of pain elementals. And the end though, there will be the regular Cyberdemon. The good thing about this challenge is that you start of with a shotgun instead of a pistol!

nerdatron

• Private FC
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 24, 2008, 07:50 »

Angel of Halo (medium):
You can't carry weapons in your inventory (only in your hand and prepared slot).
Maybe, you have a regenerating shield instead of armor (and can't carry medkits either).

Angel of Quad Damage (v.hard):
You do 4x damage to all enemies, and they do 4x damage to you. (Not sure if the 4x damage should apply before or after armor.)
Certain to be a very frustrating, but fun challenge.

Angel of the Coliseum (hard):
EVERY level is an arena - good luck, you're gonna need it.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 08:13 by nerdatron »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 43