Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 03:57
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 43

Author Topic: Challenge modes ideas - old and new.  (Read 290973 times)

Blade

• Tester
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
    • Upyachka
Re: Challenge modes ideas - old and new.
« Reply #105 on: August 24, 2008, 08:36 »

Angel of Quad Damage (v.hard):
You do 4x damage to all enemies, and they do 4x damage to you. (Not sure if the 4x damage should apply before or after armor.)
Certain to be a very frustrating, but fun challenge.

Easy challenge. Just shoot everything before they shoot you. Cat's Eye or Intuition is a must-have.

The other two - i like them.)
Low orbit ion cannon damaged my brain!!1
Now i'm an idiot!1 Kill me, somebody!!11

ParaSait

• Baffen :P
  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
« Reply #106 on: August 24, 2008, 08:52 »

You know, very nice for this game would be a survival mode. You are spawned in 1 level, and after a certain amount of time, a number of monsters is spawned and you need to survive as long as possible.
[18|7|3|0|0|0] [MED:13/43] [SPE:36/67] [ASM:11/40]

Check out my epic youtube channel!
Currently playing The Bard's Tale and System Shock 2 (coop with GrAV1t)!

Visalos

• First Sergeant
  • Former Imp
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 30, 2008, 01:26 »

Angel of False Security:

A few levels into the game, once you have killed the final monster, at least one V spawns randomly (or not-so-randomly, perhaps by the stairs or the highest concentration of corpses, or halfway between), intent on restoring the demonic ranks and removing the final obstacle to Hell's ascendancy (oh shit that's us!). Difficulty: Medium.
The demons will never forget the Marine who charged -screaming- through seven layers of hell wearing nothing but a nuke and blue boots.

Visalos

• First Sergeant
  • Former Imp
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 30, 2008, 01:37 »

Also, I don't remember where I saw it on here, but I really like the Angel of Imp challenge. Maybe an evolution every few levels a la Pokemon or Zerg into a higher demonic form, with more power and even (gasp!) the ability to use items! Even if one were an imp the whole time, steadily gaining in power yet uable to pickup items or use weapons, that would be a blast. Berserk packs, health globes, supercharge, etc. would still work. Remove wall-destruction from (your)higher demon's energy attack, so you still need a rocket launcher to get through The Wall.
The demons will never forget the Marine who charged -screaming- through seven layers of hell wearing nothing but a nuke and blue boots.

ZZ

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 19, 2008, 11:36 »

Maybe, there can be something like Angel of Immunity, avarded for getting Cyberdemon rank, where monsters spawn and you are immortal:).
Put a chainsaw in my coffin. If I go to Hell, I'll need to do some cleaning there.

Sachiko

• Sergeant
  • I hunt down Cheat-modders and collect their skulls
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 20, 2008, 12:42 »

Immortality? In DoomRL? HERESY!!!

Seriously, Challenges are supposed to be challenges, not super-easy walks by the park where you unload your frustration on the demons while you don't take damage.
If you ever use cheat-mode, I'll go for you and kill you while you sleep.

ZZ

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 20, 2008, 13:17 »

Immortality? In DoomRL? HERESY!!!

Seriously, Challenges are supposed to be challenges, not super-easy walks by the park where you unload your frustration on the demons while you don't take damage.

But the Cyberdemon rank is very hard to get, and there must be SOME reward for getting this. Maybe, this can be done as another level of difficulty, or something else.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 13:23 by ZZ »
Put a chainsaw in my coffin. If I go to Hell, I'll need to do some cleaning there.

ZZ

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 26, 2008, 11:46 »

What about next:
Angel of Blindness - your LOS is decreased to 2*2 square.

Iferrly

• Private FC
  • Severly damaged
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 07, 2008, 15:00 »

Angel of Blindness is quite okay, but that can be developed in the AoD challenge
Severly damaged without any reason.

ZZ

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 16, 2008, 09:15 »

So better one:
Angel of Oracle:
You're the allmighty oracle from the past. You're blind, but you can see monsters as if you'd have a Intuition 3. Instead of it, gods protect you and give you +5 HP each level(option). And you start with chaingun(it isn't hard to blindshoot with it).

Blade

• Tester
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
    • Upyachka
« Reply #115 on: November 16, 2008, 09:34 »

So better one:
Angel of Oracle:
You're the allmighty oracle from the past. You're blind, but you can see monsters as if you'd have a Intuition 3. Instead of it, gods protect you and give you +5 HP each level(option). And you start with chaingun(it isn't hard to blindshoot with it).

I like that. But it would be better if such Oracle could sense powerups, in other words, he should possess the full power of the Intuition(3). But imho there should be no chaingun from the start. Maybe EagleEye*2 to help him to hit emenies with pistol.

ZZ

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 16, 2008, 10:28 »

Maybe it could be fun that Oracle is walking with Hell Staff.
So better one:
Angel of Oracle:

I like that. But it would be better if such Oracle could sense powerups, in other words, he should possess the full power of the Intuition(3). But imho there should be no chaingun from the start. Maybe EagleEye*2 to help him to hit emenies with pistol.
First, for what do you need to sence power-ups. Second, if he's blind,  it's not the fact he couldn't use shootgun or some better weapon.
PS:Like quoting the quotes?

Blade

• Tester
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
    • Upyachka
« Reply #117 on: November 16, 2008, 11:25 »

First, for what do you need to sence power-ups. Second, if he's blind,  it's not the fact he couldn't use shootgun or some better weapon.
PS:Like quoting the quotes?
[/quote]

He's an Oracle, after all. If he senses the presence of monsters, it's likely that he can sense the energy from the powerups. And he could use some better weapon, he just need to find them (messages about what's lying on current floor tile should still appear, of course).

ZZ

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 28, 2008, 09:00 »

Another one:
Angel of Crimsonland:
You are not playing Doom now. Because every spawned level is and arena!

Sachiko

• Sergeant
  • I hunt down Cheat-modders and collect their skulls
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 30, 2008, 04:18 »

I c wat you did thar, ZZ.

That challenge should get some tweaks. Like, for example, DoomGuy always starting each level with just one weapon, then getting new ones from fallen enemies.

And only being able to continue the level after all monsters had been destroyed.

And of course, no special levels, except Cybie's, which is an arena already, anyways.
If you ever use cheat-mode, I'll go for you and kill you while you sleep.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 43