Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 09:48
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 43

Author Topic: Challenge modes ideas - old and new.  (Read 291062 times)

Melon

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Colonel
  • Men are from Mars, Women are from Snickers
    • View Profile
Re: Challenge modes ideas - old and new.
« Reply #165 on: April 08, 2009, 08:22 »

Angel of Quake
Hard

"Where the hell am I? This isn't the war I signed up for!"

You are an elite soldier of Earth, sent against a ruthless alien foe. Too bad you wandered through that funny portal.

Pros: You start out with a Blaster instead of a pistol, the Bfg10K Is guaranteed to spawn in Hell's armory, and the Railgun appears on level 20.

Cons: Your weapons aren't quite right. They're not the ones you trained with in basic. You take a to-hit penalty with all weaons except the Blaster, Bfg10K, and Railgun, until you reach character level 5.

With such weapons, you should have the to-hit penalty unless your reach experience level 30 [;
Ludzie, którzy piją, są dla mnie niczym...

... niczym bracia!

metroidRL

• Sergeant Major
  • Arch-vile major general
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 08, 2009, 09:40 »

angel of hard doom
blade!!!!!!! (lol)

"whats this?, the enemies don't suppose to be like this"

the enemies are now hard (the name explain that idiot, playing in nightmare will be a stupid idea), now blade beat this.

pros: triplied the amount of red armors(apears on level 4), supercharge globes(apears on level 3), megaspheres (this will apear now on level 8), berserks packs(always apear) and you start with a blue armor and a chaingun

cons: former humans now carrie sonic railguns (less powerfull that the railgun), sergeants carry double shotgun (o.o), imps have diferents fireballs, captains have double chaingun and a chance to drop minigun, demons are now more fasters, lost souls now they fire fireballs (and a posibility to they charge at you before die), cacodemons now have a 25% of chance to fire homing fireballs (not too powerfull), hell knight now have a 35% chance fire a deadly fireball (but they don't have too much accuaracy) barons of hells now have a chance to fire flames, pain elementals just have more hp (double shotgun strictly requiered), commandos no changes, aracnatrons now have fussion cannon, revenants now fire two homings fireballs (lolwtf?), mancubus doubles the fireballs (omfg) archviles now have flame atacks (diferent to his same atack like a liitle fireball lol) cyberdemon now fire two rocket launchers with a chance of 40% of fire homing missiles.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 20:43 by metroidRL »
[24]    [20]   [15]  [07]       [03]
Bronze Silver Gold  Platinum  Diamond
Assemblies: 31/40;  Uniques and Exotics: 56/60;  Medals: 26/42.

Smiley

• Lance Corporal
  • Smile or die?
    • View Profile
    • Boring SPMMORPG) Recruitment Link
« Reply #167 on: April 08, 2009, 23:53 »

Angel of Redemption
Difficulty: Nightmare (No Exceptions)
XP Rank (Probably): Hell Baron

The game starts from Phobos Surface (The Starting Level) goes down to Depth 30. Where this message appears in intro format.

As you step towards the blood dripping stairs, the insane laughter of the announcer from Hell's Arena booms.

"You think you'll be able to find an exit here?! No!" and forth come the bloodcurdling screams of the public as the announcer speaks again.

"This is HELL mortal! There is no escape hatch at the bottom of hell!" the screams of the public go wild as your stomach clenches.

"The escape was there on the surface mortal! The ship you came with your fellow marines! You could have avoid all of this exquisite slaughter and just fly away like a little coward!!!" as he and the public laugh at you you realize how stupid you were. But your realizations were once again interrupted by the demonic announcer.

"This is the moment of choice mortal." the announcer's rasp was quiet and serious as the public quieted down.

"Do you join hell?" the question surprised you. "Or do you redeem yourself!?" and there was the old roar of the announcer with the screaming public demanding blood and death. And then everything started shaking as the rock ceiling behind you started cracking apart, stalagmites crashing into the floor and the room slowly falling apart.

"Choose mortal!" both the public and the announcer roared their voices blocking out everything, including the worn stairs that crashed through the ceiling, leading up.

The player will start in the middle of an blood covered island surrounded by lava. Right of him are red stairs and left of him are gray, that lead to depth/level 29 and from there the player must reach Phobos surface. If the player takes the red stairs, then the player joins hell and the game ends with the General saying that the poor soul got him/herself corrupted and has joined hell.

Now when the player gets to level 29 he gets this message...

"Good, mortal! You still are there, and I thought you were gonna crack." the announcer chuckles nastily. "Say goodbye to your hard earned gear! And let's start this show all over again! This time... it's the FINALE!"

The player looses all equipment and inventory items (even the unique) and now mus get back up to Phobos Surface through all the levels he previously visited. Special level placement change from their usual 2-3 (Hell's Arena) to 27-28 and so on with other levels too. The monster generation changes too, basically it's like you start the game on the surface, but only bellow it at level 29 and you have to revisit all the previous levels that will be left as they were though monsters and items will still be generated. Though they will be generated in the same way as the special levels are placed.

When the player reaches Phobos Surface after defeating AoD, Cybie and JC all over again (JC at level 6 on the way back), he/she get this message intro format style (again?!).

"This is the real choice mortal..." you quickly turn around to face the announcer coming out from the building which led down into Phobos. The announcer looks familiar for some reason.

"Which side are you on?" then you slowly realize that the announcer look like you.

"Hell..." the announcer steps aside and gestures to the dark and dank inviting entrance of the building, from which even now you swear you could hear quiet screams for death and blood plus the stench of rot and decay.

"Or heaven..." startled, you turn around and look into the face of The General, the man who sent you and your squad to check on the Phobos installation. You notice his whole demeanor was changed. He looked old, tired and sad... as if he seen to much in one lifetime. And then... you slowly realize just like before with the announcer. The General looks like you, only older, tired and... so sad.

"Choose mortal..." the announcer growled out...

And basically this is the same thing as before only this time there are no stairs, but a small shuttle.

::::::::::::::::::::
::::=######::::
::::()#######::
::::=##||###:::
:::::::@::::::::::
:::::::::@:::::::::
:::::::::::@:::::::
::::###::###::::
::##:::::::::##::
##:::::::::::::##
##::::::>::::::##
::##:::::::::##::
::::#######::::

Notably both The General and the Announcer are friendly until you shoot them. If you shoot them then be prepared to fight since both The General and The Announcer move twice faster than JC. TG has a rapid pistol whose lowest amount of damage is identical to JC's health and TA has a rapid BFG 9000. And both have twice as much health as JC!

Visalos

• First Sergeant
  • Former Imp
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 09, 2009, 01:37 »

your creations would destroy you.
The demons will never forget the Marine who charged -screaming- through seven layers of hell wearing nothing but a nuke and blue boots.

Smiley

• Lance Corporal
  • Smile or die?
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 09, 2009, 04:01 »

Tell me, are you trying to somehow piss me of and make go into a hissy fit about someone being a total jerk?

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
« Reply #170 on: April 09, 2009, 04:39 »

Heh, this is a challange suitable for Blade rank :P. To Hell and Back ^_^
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Blade

• Tester
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
    • Upyachka
« Reply #171 on: April 09, 2009, 06:35 »

There is no Blade suitable for this challenge. -____-

Can we have a challenge where you need to watch some films and drink a cider with a Blade difficulty rank?
Low orbit ion cannon damaged my brain!!1
Now i'm an idiot!1 Kill me, somebody!!11

Vestin

• Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
  • Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 09, 2009, 08:02 »

Tell me, are you trying to somehow piss me of and make go into a hissy fit about someone being a total jerk?
Visalos has a knack for witty, cutting remarks that would make most people mad... But if you're bright enough - you'll see that he really has a point. He just expresses it in a clever, aggravating, implicit form where you have to read between the lines a bit to get what he means.

Visalos

• First Sergeant
  • Former Imp
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 09, 2009, 11:48 »

I apologize for any misunderstandings, and I will own up to the total jerkness. I did indeed have a point, and will say no more on the subject, other than (insert sop to the ego here) you obviously thought a lot about the challenge you posted, and it shines through as a unique idea by itself, if not exactly what that jackass Visalos would consider a canonical DoomRL challenge.
The demons will never forget the Marine who charged -screaming- through seven layers of hell wearing nothing but a nuke and blue boots.

rekenne

• Elder
  • First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 09, 2009, 14:22 »

Huh.
That is a pretty cool challenge, if a lot more indepth than all the other challenges.
You *would* keep all your levels, right?

Smiley

• Lance Corporal
  • Smile or die?
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: April 09, 2009, 18:07 »

Yes, but all equipment and inventory is lost.

I apologize for any misunderstandings, and I will own up to the total jerkness. I did indeed have a point, and will say no more on the subject, other than (insert sop to the ego here) you obviously thought a lot about the challenge you posted, and it shines through as a unique idea by itself, if not exactly what that jackass Visalos would consider a canonical DoomRL challenge.

Apology accepted and I did probably over think it. Besides couldn't 'Angel of [Insert Challenge Name]' be their own stand alone stories of sorts not connected to canon?

Passionario

• Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 27, 2009, 06:40 »

Angel of Feather Fall
DIFFICULTY: Easy/Medium
Due to a genetic mutation, you are almost weightless. You walk and run slightly faster, but suffer massive knockbacks from any shots that hit you.

Angel of Degeneration
Difficulty: Easy
You begin the game with all traits. Every time you descend to the next level, you choose one of your traits and lose it (prerequisites still apply, so you won't be able to choose Eagle Eye (2) if you have Intuition and/or Cateye). Oh, and you don't gain experience.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 05:20 by Passionario »
Who do you send when Warp can't get the job done?

Captain Trek

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: April 28, 2009, 10:46 »

Angel of Feather Fall
DIFFICULTY: Easy/Medium
Due to a genetic mutation, you are almost weightless. You walk and run slightly faster, but suffer massive knockbacks from any shots that hit you.

Just what we need, DoomRL, starring Flubber... -_-

Angel of Degeneration
You begin the game with all traits. Every time you descend to the next level, you choose one of your traits and lose it (prerequisites still apply, so you won't be able to choose Eagle Eye (2) if you have Intuition and/or Cateye). Oh, and you don't gain experience.

This actually seems interesting... Well, let's see, there are somewhere in the region of 40 traits in total... If we assume a bog-standard chaingun build, nine of them (shottyman, DG, SoaG (3 ranks), brute (3 ranks) and berserker) are (virtually) completely useless and can be considered "expendible"... After that, Cateye I suppose can go because you would also have Intuition (so that's two more) and Juggler is also fairly expendable... That's 13... After that, though, it does indeed become trickier as all the remaning traits are useful... I suppose you could drop Whizkid if you we'ren't having any luck with mods, but that's still only 15, leaving another ten to be dropped (assuming you don't go to any of the specail levels)...

Well, what would you get rid of after deleting all the "expendable" traits? I'd probably go for reloader and finesse first (another five), leaving the most important and useful chaingun (again, this is assuming a chaingun build) traits (SoaB, EE and TH)... After that, I'd probably drop Badass (that's three more, but IIRC Kornel is considering lowering this), which leaves HR, TaN, Iornman, Intuition and the three "chaingun traits", all of which are too important to just throw away without thought... I'd probably lean towards one level of EE (as chainguns and plasma rifles are still accurate enough without all three levels of EE) and probably a level of TaN if my armour stats was OK (and I might drop a level of TH if it wasn't, since now I'm probably only a level away from Cybie and will hopefully be using the BFG on him anyway)...

Vestin

• Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
  • Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 28, 2009, 15:02 »

Angel of Degeneration

(...) Well, what would you get rid of after deleting all the "expendable" traits? (...)
If there ARE "expendable" traits, they should be removed or fine-tuned, that's one thing.

As for AoDg... Too easy, yet inspiring. I'd say - pick 25 traits at the start of the game... and THEN discard one after each stairs. The bottom line is - you should be traitless when facing the CD.

tehtmi

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: April 28, 2009, 20:21 »

As for AoDg... Too easy, yet inspiring. I'd say - pick 25 traits at the start of the game... and THEN discard one after each stairs. The bottom line is - you should be traitless when facing the CD.

This initially struck me as a really cool idea.  I would love the challenge of playing the last few levels -- but would the beginning of the game just be too boring?  It could be fun a few times, but it would just be so easy.  Hmm...
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 43