Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 02:27
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 43

Author Topic: Challenge modes ideas - old and new.  (Read 290951 times)

Passionario

• Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Challenge modes ideas - old and new.
« Reply #180 on: April 29, 2009, 01:58 »

As for AoDg... Too easy, yet inspiring. I'd say - pick 25 traits at the start of the game... and THEN discard one after each stairs. The bottom line is - you should be traitless when facing the CD.
/applaud

Far better than my initial idea, wish I thought of this first.
Who do you send when Warp can't get the job done?

Vestin

• Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
  • Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: April 29, 2009, 07:01 »

As for AoDg... Too easy, yet inspiring. I'd say - pick 25 traits at the start of the game... and THEN discard one after each stairs. The bottom line is - you should be traitless when facing the CD.

I would love the challenge of playing the last few levels -- but would the beginning of the game just be too boring?
It's not THAT much of a godmode - you simply start with wimpy items and a lot of traits and end up with powerful items and no traits.
Then again - you'd have to start with level 25, so - either Kornel makes that possible or we're forced to change AoDg a bit and limit ourselves to starting with *insert the maximum level in 0.9.8.11 here* and be traitless for more than just the final battle... or we can start losing traits on level *25-the maximum level in 0.9.8.11 ;)* so that we lose the last when entering the Arena. What do you think ?

Visalos

• First Sergeant
  • Former Imp
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: April 29, 2009, 15:11 »

How about starting at clvl1 with 25 traits and advancing in experience normally? This idea sounds like a coding nightmare in the first place. Plain ol' levels have more benefits than just traits, don't they?

While I'm in this thread, I have come up with a new twist on the Angel of Suck(blood) challenge. Wanna hear it? Here it go.

Angel of Sadism(that's how i thought of it, from the title. we have masochism, so.)

Pro: You gain health for inflicting pain, injury, and anguish.
Cons: So do the monsters. Health items don't work, either.
The demons will never forget the Marine who charged -screaming- through seven layers of hell wearing nothing but a nuke and blue boots.

rekenne

• Elder
  • First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: April 29, 2009, 16:37 »

No, actually, levels don't have benefits besides traits (Unless you're playing Angel of D&D)

Thomas

• DoomRL Wiki and Testing Ops
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Major General
  • How's it going?
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: April 30, 2009, 01:00 »

Angel of Sadism(that's how i thought of it, from the title. we have masochism, so.)

Pro: You gain health for inflicting pain, injury, and anguish.
Cons: So do the monsters. Health items don't work, either.

Eh, I'd rather a challenge mode that forced you out of the "SoaB/TH/TaN sit in the middle of the level and chaingun turret like a champ" strategy rather than in to it.

Hm...

Well, this is just off the top of my head, so it'll need tweaking:
Angel of Rocketry
Why would you want anything OTHER than rockets? They're big and bad and do all sorts of neat tricks, like turning demons in to mist!
Pros: You start with a rocketlauncher and a huge amount of rockets. At least 10 inventory slots worth. The Wall is guaranteed to appear.
Cons: You can't use anything other than a rocket launcher. So what happens if someone brushes up next to you?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 01:01 by Thomas »
Arch-Vile Chaos Major Thomas
[26/26/26/25/9/1]
Medals: 35/43 Specials: 69/67 Assemblies: 36/40

skarczew

• Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: May 06, 2009, 05:34 »

AoDegeneration sounds funny ^_^ .
Just change the difficulty to very easy :) .

Passionario

• Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: May 06, 2009, 07:20 »

Angel of Wild Hunt
"It's a jungle out there. See if you can make your way to the top of the food chain."
Every monster you face is a cunning predator. They can see you from across the entire level and track your movements through walls.

Well, this is just off the top of my head, so it'll need tweaking:
Angel of Rocketry
Why would you want anything OTHER than rockets? They're big and bad and do all sorts of neat tricks, like turning demons in to mist!
Pros: You start with a rocketlauncher and a huge amount of rockets. At least 10 inventory slots worth. The Wall is guaranteed to appear.
Cons: You can't use anything other than a rocket launcher. So what happens if someone brushes up next to you?

And to take it one step further:

Angel of World War III
"It's raining missiles out there!"
You start out with a rocket launcher and some rockets. Unfortunately, so does everything else. Every shooting monster, from lowly formers to Archviles can and will shoot rockets (though the accuracy, speed and killing power varies). In fact, there are no other weapons and ammo in this game - it's rockets-rockets-rockets all the way.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 07:32 by Passionario »
Who do you send when Warp can't get the job done?

Melon

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Colonel
  • Men are from Mars, Women are from Snickers
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: May 06, 2009, 22:51 »

Angel of World War III
You start out with a rocket launcher and some rockets. Unfortunately, so does everything else. Every shooting monster, from lowly formers to Archviles can and will shoot rockets (though the accuracy, speed and killing power varies). In fact, there are no other weapons and ammo in this game - it's rockets-rockets-rockets all the way.

Take it two steps further

Angel of Nuclear Warfare
"Why do I think that I am not the only one smuggling uranium?
You start out with thermonuclear bombs. Unfortunately, so does everyone/everything else. Every shooting and meele monster, from weak Barons of Hell to a little more powerful Cyberdaemons (CYBERDAEMONS!) or Angel of Death will use a thermonuclear bomb as soon as you are in light of sight.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 22:53 by Melon »
Ludzie, którzy piją, są dla mnie niczym...

... niczym bracia!

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
« Reply #188 on: May 08, 2009, 02:33 »

Angel of World War III

Take it two steps further

Angel of Nuclear Warfare
"Why do I think that I am not the only one smuggling uranium?
You start out with thermonuclear bombs. Unfortunately, so does everyone/everything else. Every shooting and meele monster, from weak Barons of Hell to a little more powerful Cyberdaemons (CYBERDAEMONS!) or Angel of Death will use a thermonuclear bomb as soon as you are in light of sight.

Fun, but rather uncompleteable :P
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Tavana

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: May 08, 2009, 02:59 »

Fun, but rather uncompleteable :P

Since when was "completable" a roguelike requirement? :P
Common words do not mean common understanding. Language is mercurial. Meanings are never constant.

Smiley

• Lance Corporal
  • Smile or die?
    • View Profile
    • Boring SPMMORPG) Recruitment Link
« Reply #190 on: May 08, 2009, 08:45 »

Angel of Barrels

"Khe, he, he. This will be a complete mess..."
What the hell happened here? The whole base from top to bottom is filled up with barrels. Maybe they had a bad day with the reactor, or in the laboratories. Each level (even the first one) is filled with explosive barrels to the brim and has limited space to walk on, sometimes there will be pockets of safe space (not really). And also when the barrels explode they leave pools of acid (the size of the pool is randomly generated to be as large as the blast or less).

MegaMad

• Private FC
  • THE HACKS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: May 09, 2009, 00:47 »

Angel of 300

Difficulty: Very, Very Hard

If you think your crazy enough to say that completing 100 levels is easy, try beating it 3 times the level. There's something special at every 100 level.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 22:21 by MegaMad »
Luke, I am your father

Angle of Death

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: May 11, 2009, 00:49 »

Angel of Bloodshed

Difficuly: Hard

There is no cyber level........There is no cyber level........There is no cyber level........There is no cyber level........There is no cyber level........There is no cyber level........

Pros: HP and armor bonuses (including those from Ironman and Tough as nails) are doubled.

Cons: The game has twice as many levels as normal. Every other level is a "theme" level, with fourteen will be city levels featuring large numbers of the same monster, one for each monster in the game (except the three unique ones and the AV), and each of the remaining ten arena levels featuring even larger hordes of a single random enemy.

Variant: For a harder variant, give monsters immunity to the attacks of their own kind.

Melon

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Colonel
  • Men are from Mars, Women are from Snickers
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: May 13, 2009, 07:40 »

The Hell Runner
"Fire walk with me"

You are so fast, that fire burns the ground you step onto. Literally. After stepping on a floor, after 5 turns it turns into lava.

PROS: When low on health, you can run away through narrow corridors and monster won't chase You.

CONS: You have to plan your moves carefully (especially in the maze levels). Also you cannot stand in one place for too long.
Ludzie, którzy piją, są dla mnie niczym...

... niczym bracia!

Dervis

• Nightmare Berserker
  • Elder
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: May 13, 2009, 10:48 »

Angel of Remorse

Ever since your childhood when you got your father's gun and shot an innocent squirrel, you can't help but feel remorse whenever you kill anything, be it a fly or a monster. Only God knows how you ended up in the military...

Whenever an enemy dies you lose 1 hp.
---

Well i think it's quite straightforward and probably medium-hard difficulty. Just be careful with Pain Elementals and BFG shots and you should be ok.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 43