Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 16:12
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 43

Author Topic: Challenge modes ideas - old and new.  (Read 291148 times)

ZZ

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Challenge modes ideas - old and new.
« Reply #330 on: November 05, 2009, 02:06 »

Yeah, XCom! True, sectoids died after just coming into sight range. Looks close to my idea of fighting through lelvels. And cymerdemon is watching you, are you in his sight range or not. So you as a human can shoot him from the other edge of map.
Put a chainsaw in my coffin. If I go to Hell, I'll need to do some cleaning there.

UnderAPaleGreySky

• Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
  • Chaos Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: November 05, 2009, 02:31 »

Angel of 1 Monster

Cause who needs variaty anyway?

For each level, there is only one type of enemy present which is randomly chosen depending on the depth they spawn on, ofcourse there will be less enemies generally or maybe not. Better hope they aren't viles!
You can't do number 1 with the current system, it'd be good for a mod though!
So, you can't force it to spawn a "monster cave" on every level?
Under a pale grey sky, we shall arise.

raekuul

• Supporter
  • Brigadier General
  • Storyteller Under The Bridge
    • View Profile
    • Veldania
« Reply #332 on: November 05, 2009, 10:20 »

Angel of Technology is one I'd be doing all the time... but what would we do about (1) the wall and (2) invulnerability globes?
Tormuse doesn't lose, he dies on purpose to lull the demons into a false sense of security.

X-Heiko

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: November 12, 2009, 10:42 »

How about an Angel of... say, Blindness or whatever would be a good name.

You can't see. As a compensation, you can hear very well (indicating things that made sounds on the map, just like... was it "intuition"?) and shotguns that you wield have extra spread. Since you can hear where enemies are, you can still fire in their general direction, but you suffer a big accuracy penalty. So generally, Angel of Shotgunnery with extra bam and less vision.

ZZ

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: November 12, 2009, 12:34 »

Angel of Double Angel(or something)
You've always been number 2.Yeah, really 2. And that teached you that 2 is cooler than 1. Now all that you see is doubled. And that results in:
- Doubled damage(for you and monsters);
- Doubled amount of enemies and ammo;
- Doubled amount of "special" levels(almost no ordinary complex. In every level you feel there is something unusual there");
- Doubled chance to hit and dodge(so great chance that ToHit is>100. In that case there is chance to do 4X damage);
- Doubled xp needed to level-up;
- Traits are double-powered(Ammochain doubles the rate of fire, gun katta and blademaster gives 2 free moves when triggered, intuition is now a 1-level trait);
So it goes. The rest of thing that could be doubled if doubled would be useless.

And another:
Angel of Highlander
You're immortal. Well, almost immortal. Instead of just taking hits and loose health, you have 10% chance of just dropping dead on hit. Place your bets.(Stealed from Crimsonland)
Not harder that an usual game, just remember that any enemy caries deadly danger.
Put a chainsaw in my coffin. If I go to Hell, I'll need to do some cleaning there.

X-Heiko

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: November 22, 2009, 07:54 »

Angel of Escape

You escape hell, rather than venturing into it. You start at level 24 with your fists and need to adapt serious stealth play to reach the Phobos Base entrance, where everything seems to be easy once you've gotten past hell, which it isn't - a Cyberdemon guards your escape ship!

If this proves impossible, players should gain XP for not having been noticed by monsters when exiting a level. Also, maybe increase weapon drops a bit so that the player even has a chance to get a weapon without fighting an Archvile bare-handedly.

Angel of Growth

You start the game with 30 instead of 50 HP. If your health is lower than (50% + (20% *(Ironman Level))) (that is between 50% and 110%), you regain one HP per turn. You are a bit weak so you have to decide between wearing armor or using guns any heavier than pistols. "Tough as Nails" and "Badass" are disabled.

Thomas

• DoomRL Wiki and Testing Ops
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Major General
  • How's it going?
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: November 22, 2009, 16:39 »

Angel of Highlander
You're immortal. Well, almost immortal. Instead of just taking hits and loose health, you have 10% chance of just dropping dead on hit. Place your bets.(Stealed from Crimsonland)
Not harder that an usual game, just remember that any enemy caries deadly danger.

I'll just pinch this idea quickly.

Angel of Highlander
You're immortal! Well, okay. Not quite immortal. You don't have a health bar or anything, but every time somebody hits you, you have a 1% chance to die. Getting hit increases this chance, too! But it's okay, you can heal to reduce the chance.

Getting hit by an enemy: Increases chance by 1-5%, depending on strength
Hit by nuke: Increases chance by 100%, then hits you again. This hit will kill you if it passes the chance.
Small heal: Reduces chance by 5%
Large heal/Berserk/Invincibility: Reduces chance by 25%
Supercharge/Megasphere: Reduces chance down to 1%
Armour passively decreases the chance by 2% times armour value. If this decreases it to a negative number, you're invincibile until it goes back to 1% or higher.

EDIT: Mm. I don't really like the idea of suddenly dying on 1% chance due to unluckiness.

Addendum to Angel of Highlander:
If you get hit and it passes the chance, your character goes "Oh damn it, that hurt!" and it increases the chance by 11-15% instead of 1-5%.

You can't die, but if the chance increases beyond 100%, the game finishes because you're too badly injured to continue.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 16:53 by Thomas »
Arch-Vile Chaos Major Thomas
[26/26/26/25/9/1]
Medals: 35/43 Specials: 69/67 Assemblies: 36/40

X-Heiko

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: November 23, 2009, 01:32 »

Hey, but this way, dying would be quite a bad luck based thing. Also, what's the point of immortality if your chance to die just increases? Even with a constant chance of 1% and if I calculated correctly, you'd statistically have a too high chance to die (40% or so) after a few tens of hits already.

Thomas

• DoomRL Wiki and Testing Ops
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Major General
  • How's it going?
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: November 23, 2009, 03:13 »

Hey, but this way, dying would be quite a bad luck based thing. Also, what's the point of immortality if your chance to die just increases? Even with a constant chance of 1% and if I calculated correctly, you'd statistically have a too high chance to die (40% or so) after a few tens of hits already.

It's actually 70 hits before it reaches 50-50 (I calculated too). That's why I suggested:
Addendum to Angel of Highlander:
If you get hit and it passes the chance, your character goes "Oh damn it, that hurt!" and it increases the chance by 11-15% instead of 1-5%.

You can't die, but if the chance increases beyond 100%, the game finishes because you're too badly injured to continue.
So it's like a normal game but as you get more damaged, all enemies become a lot more dangerous. At 40% pain chance, a couple of former humans could take you out.
Arch-Vile Chaos Major Thomas
[26/26/26/25/9/1]
Medals: 35/43 Specials: 69/67 Assemblies: 36/40

X-Heiko

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: November 23, 2009, 03:31 »

But then, the difference to actual hitpoints is not that big. Also, it's a complicated mechanic for a challenge if you ask me. I think a better idea would be making the player invulnerable but giving a totally different restriction as to when they die, such as having to kill a certain amount of enemies to keep up their countdown which kills them when it runs out.

And "70" is part of the set "a few tens", or at least that's what I meant ^^

ZZ

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: November 23, 2009, 04:15 »

Actually in it's core (Crimsonland) that was quite an insta-death. 10% to die - you must be very lucky to survive and died within the next few minutes. So really there should be lower(say 5%), and it increases by 0.1%, but NO decreasing.(Makes useless some traits, like in AoPC);

Another Crimsonland idea(unbalanced and similar to AoRA):
Angel of Death Clock:
You die exactly in 30 minutes(1800 moves). You can't escape your destiny but feel free to go on spree.Tick-tock.
Also one immortality challenge.

Ruldra

• Corporal
  • Shottyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: November 26, 2009, 06:25 »

I didn't read the thread so forgive me if there's something similar posted already:

Angel of Blindness

You've been blind for most of your life, but you're so badass it didn't stop you from joining the army!

You start the game with Intuition (2) and LOS is removed. You never get to see what enemies you're facing, you can only see the red dots. You'll have to listen to their weapons and pain sounds to identify them. Also you'll never see equipment on the ground, you'll have to be on the exact square to feel it. You can sense the powerups though.
Hell Baron Br. General
[19|19|13|5|1]

Melon

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Colonel
  • Men are from Mars, Women are from Snickers
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: November 26, 2009, 06:33 »

I didn't read the thread so forgive me if there's something similar posted already:

Angel of Blindness

You've been blind for most of your life, but you're so badass it didn't stop you from joining the army!

You start the game with Intuition (2) and LOS is removed. You never get to see what enemies you're facing, you can only see the red dots. You'll have to listen to their weapons and pain sounds to identify them. Also you'll never see equipment on the ground, you'll have to be on the exact square to feel it. You can sense the powerups though.

You do not see barrels, walls... Blade difficulty at least
Ludzie, którzy piją, są dla mnie niczym...

... niczym bracia!

X-Heiko

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: November 26, 2009, 08:14 »

Yeah, I've posted that idea, too and I think it would rock since it makes the game different and a lot harder.

I'd say you can smell fuel barrels. About the acid: Depends on the concentration and type, but for the game: why not? I don't know about the smell of napalm, though. The idea is: You can smell barells.

ZZ

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: November 26, 2009, 11:34 »

Hey, I posted the idea too, with the name: Angel of Oracle.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 12:23 by ZZ »
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 43