Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 06:50
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 43

Author Topic: Challenge modes ideas - old and new.  (Read 291024 times)

ZZ

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Challenge modes ideas - old and new.
« Reply #345 on: November 26, 2009, 12:22 »

And another now (imagine, NOT stealend from Crimsonland)
Angel of God
You're the almighty god which came to hell to deplete this unholy place. Unfortunately, devil came here right before you, and granted all enemies immortality and infinite ammo. But that devil din't count barrel and acid\lava.

You are immortal. Fully immortal. The enemies are almost, they take damage from barrels and acid\lava. When enemie takes enough damage to die it drops ammo. If enemie wasn't supposed to do so, it drops 3 rockets. Flying enemies drop when took 100 dmg(and walk, taking damage from dangereous surface). You can't go off a level unless you clear it. And when you destroy barrel, it reincarnates in 10 turns.
Put a chainsaw in my coffin. If I go to Hell, I'll need to do some cleaning there.

Almafeta

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: November 26, 2009, 12:49 »

When was the last version with AoD&D?

(I feel like because it won, I now kinda have an obligation to beat it - I've been playing lots of AoRA lately for the same reason.)

Madtrixr

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: November 26, 2009, 17:59 »

When was the last version with AoD&D?

(I feel like because it won, I now kinda have an obligation to beat it - I've been playing lots of AoRA lately for the same reason.)

0.9.8.10 right?
<Malek_Deneith> What is a PC? A miserable little pile of XP. But enough plot - have at you!

[B/S/G/P/D]
[19/8/5/0/0]

UnderAPaleGreySky

• Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
  • Chaos Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: November 27, 2009, 00:43 »

Yep. You win 20 points :P
Under a pale grey sky, we shall arise.

felttippen

• Elder
  • Sergeant
  • hopes for shotgun compatible weapon packs
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: November 28, 2009, 06:22 »

Angel of Quake

combat knife-> axe
pistol goes out
shotgun stays
dshotgun stays
chaingun -> nailgun(weaker than chaingun) ,supernailgun(stronger than chaingun)
RL stays
grenade launcher
plasma->thunderbolt (probably 2d7)x6 and ability to short circit in liquids for 300 damage

quad damage
pentagram of protection
ring of invisibility

new enemies(Yeti!!!)
probably new special levels
endboss shub niggurath

perhaps somebodys got ideas how to alter gameplay, cuz i cant think of anything right now.
[24|19|17|12|5|1]
Archvile  General

ZZ

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: November 28, 2009, 14:16 »

And what for a challenge? This is surelly a mod, because no challenge.
Put a chainsaw in my coffin. If I go to Hell, I'll need to do some cleaning there.

felttippen

• Elder
  • Sergeant
  • hopes for shotgun compatible weapon packs
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: November 28, 2009, 15:05 »

it should only be playable on N! difficulty
the challenge would result from the player not being used to the new mix of enemies and the changes to core gameplay whose exact properties escape me at this moment
[24|19|17|12|5|1]
Archvile  General

Shoop da Whoop

• First Sergeant
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
Angel of Half-Life
« Reply #352 on: December 04, 2009, 12:11 »

Angel of Half-Life (just for fun)

Description: "Yes. Finally. The exit... But stop! Where the hell stairs were gone??? Damn. Anyway, i must go down. It's time to fly! Vertically!!"

The challenge is called so because each time you go to the next level you lose half of your current health, rounded up (if needed). Armour isn't lose.
But, the each healing stuff works with 1,5 increased efficiency: small health globe gives +30 hp instead of +20 (fix me if i'm wrong); and Megacharge gives you 300 health points! Yarrrr!!1
Vampirism and other things connected with hp may be increased or not; i think, they must be reworked too.

Difficulty: medium to hard.
Code: [Select]
He had posted some posts.
He waited enough for new version of DoomRL.
He played classic Doom but not passed. He also played rogulikes. And once he found the intersection of these sets...

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: December 06, 2009, 02:23 »

Angel of Phasing

Description: "Oh hell, now I can't even walk straight.  Shouldn't have quaffed that last bottle before charging the base..."

This challenge involves completing the game while having a rather bad case of "teleportitis".  Each second of game time taken has a high (> 50%) chance to be phasing, at the end of the second.  Modes like invulnerability and berserk can alleviate this a little by giving you normal control (no phasing) while the effects are in place; phasing and homing phasing devices will still work as intended.  Running will paradoxically reduce your chance of phasing ("you're moving fast enough that the dimension rifts are missing you"), but will not completely remove it.  Knock-back, when it occurs, will apply in the same direction after you phase if it is time to do so; AoE damage from some weapon attacks will occur in situ before the phase.  To compensate for the much higher chance of ending up in lava or acid, all boots have 150% durability on pick-up.  Getting either 100% kills on all difficulty levels or completing Nightmare! ought to count as a major achievement.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 02:25 by thelaptop »
I computed, therefore I was.

Someone7

• Private FC
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: December 18, 2009, 18:43 »

I didn't read this whole thread to know if this has been suggested before:

Angel of Doom (or Original or something like that)

-No Uniques
-No level gaining or Traits
-Levels not randomly generated, they appear like mini versions of the original levels
-There is no inventory screen, you just have one of every weapon you pick up and a maximum ammo and must use medkits and such immediately
-Armor acts more like health (thus no Red Armor)
-Unlimited ability to run (you never tire in the original)

Basically a mode that makes DoomRL as close to a clone of the original as a roguelike can be.

Journey

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: December 18, 2009, 19:22 »

Angel of Doom (or Original or something like that)
I like this idea - it could be interesting.
Maybe it still has some randomness but guaranteed items.

The player does need some of the benefits that would ordinarily come with traits, though, or enemies need to be toned down in power - as enemies currently are balanced against a trait-using doomguy - and traits make a huge different in power.

Someone7

• Private FC
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: December 18, 2009, 20:05 »

I think that knowing where things will be guaranteed (monsters and items) plus unlimited running is a decent trade-off for no leveling. It's also supposed to be a challenge.

Other changes might include:

-No weapons need to be reloaded except shotguns
-Berserk packs increase fist-damage 10 fold and effects last the entire level (no armor bonus)
-By Armor acting more like health, I mean armor is now basically a powerup. You run over green armor, you get 100% armor, blue is 200%.

leonresevil2

« Reply #357 on: December 18, 2009, 20:22 »

It seems like there are a lot of mod and total conversion ideas in here. On that note, there are a lot of posts in here, I tried to read them as I could.
Not sure if the newer ideas are being considered, but I have come up with some (which may have been posted similarly already, I am sorry if they are). If I have accidentally copied your idea, at least that means you have my support for the idea! Anyways, my ideas:

1.Angel of Rockets: Only able to use Rocket and Missile Launchers, ammo will obviously be limited so technique is required to succeed, but game may be easier on higher difficulties since mancubi and remnants will appear earlier to drop rockets. Difficulty: Hard.

2.Angel of Hotfoot: "You've always had some hot, sweaty feet. These military boots don't seem to help much either. Seems like your sweat, combined with the evils of Hell, leaves the floor tarnished." Each step has a 1%-3% chance of creating lava (maybe acid instead) where you just moved from, possibly even on doors, water, or acid. Dodging back and forth will be more risky. Environmental suits will be more important in some instances. Difficulty: Medium. (estimate)

3.Angel of 100 tweak: Same concept as before, but now every 10th level is an arena with a special boss, probably human, wielding one of the advanced weapons or uniques. Possibly make it so these enemies are the only way to get uniques in the challenge. Scale the types of uniques to the difficulty (would BFG guys be overkill even for N! ?). This adjustment would make the Challenge more of a challenge fitting to the name Blade, instead of just 100 levels of regular DoomRL levels.

4.Angel of Badassery: "You were always the tough guy. Never wore a coat, even in the coldest bitter winter. You had to look cool. Now, you won't give in to the need for armor or boots" (or even a backpack, possibly). [optional balancing feature: You start off with one level of Tough As Nails inherent, but it doesn't get counted on your trait selection.] Difficulty: Very Hard

Journey

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: December 18, 2009, 20:43 »

1.Angel of Rockets: Only able to use Rocket and Missile Launchers, ammo will obviously be limited so technique is required to succeed, but game may be easier on higher difficulties since mancubi and remnants will appear earlier to drop rockets. Difficulty: Hard.
I want something like this.  It'd probably be nice to change rockets to not destroy items in this mode, and perhaps change the item drop rate so that each floor gives you some rockets?
2.Angel of Hotfoot: "You've always had some hot, sweaty feet. These military boots don't seem to help much either. Seems like your sweat, combined with the evils of Hell, leaves the floor tarnished." Each step has a 1%-3% chance of creating lava (maybe acid instead) where you just moved from, possibly even on doors, water, or acid. Dodging back and forth will be more risky. Environmental suits will be more important in some instances.
I could see this being fun - the player can actually create lava or acid to their advantage - creating barriers for enemies and erasing corpses.  Of course the player has to be careful not to trap him/herself with the stuff!

3.Angel of 100 tweak: Same concept as before, but now every 10th level is an arena with a special boss, probably human, wielding one of the advanced weapons or uniques. Possibly make it so these enemies are the only way to get uniques in the challenge. Scale the types of uniques to the difficulty (would BFG guys be overkill even for N! ?). This adjustment would make the Challenge more of a challenge fitting to the name Blade, instead of just 100 levels of regular DoomRL levels.
There's been loads and loads of Ao100 ideas.  Who knows which ones will get used.  I'm a fan of Ao100 though, so I do look forward to it being upgraded.

Shoop da Whoop

• First Sergeant
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: December 19, 2009, 17:38 »

There's been loads and loads of Ao100 ideas.  Who knows which ones will get used.  I'm a fan of Ao100 though, so I do look forward to it being upgraded.
What do you think about this:

Angel of Abyss
Lower and lower and lower and lower and lower and... where is the end?

Level 100 is not finish now! Maybe, level 666? Or level 1000? Or REAL abyss, like in ADOM Ironman challenge?
Anyway, maximum possible level number is longint 2147483647. It's quite enough.
* Shoop Da Whoop sarcastically smiles. *
Code: [Select]
He had posted some posts.
He waited enough for new version of DoomRL.
He played classic Doom but not passed. He also played rogulikes. And once he found the intersection of these sets...
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 43