Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 13:37
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 43

Author Topic: Challenge modes ideas - old and new.  (Read 291115 times)

ZZ

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Challenge modes ideas - old and new.
« Reply #375 on: December 25, 2009, 09:37 »

What's the difference between "Can't run" and "Tired" status, except those uniques?
I think it should slow you by 0.005 sec/walk after your backpack is overloaded.
Put a chainsaw in my coffin. If I go to Hell, I'll need to do some cleaning there.

ZZ

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: January 06, 2010, 09:56 »

Sticky topic becoming dead? Strange enough.

Angel of Speed:

You don't have time to think. You need to act. You have 2.5 sec(real time) on action, else you'll skip the turn. For compensation any of your actions can't last longer than 1.5 sec. If it's longer, it becomes equal.
Put a chainsaw in my coffin. If I go to Hell, I'll need to do some cleaning there.

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: January 06, 2010, 10:25 »

More like post fatigue.
I computed, therefore I was.

Thomas

• DoomRL Wiki and Testing Ops
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Major General
  • How's it going?
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: January 06, 2010, 14:14 »

Haha, Angel of Speed is a great idea. Don't even give it the benefit of "All actions can't take more than 1.5s gametime", that seems a bit silly.

Angel of Darkness (revised)

Eyesight was never a strong point for you. Most marines can see pretty far even in the darkness of phobos' underground base, but you're lucky to see what's happening a few feet ahead of you. Luckily, the flashes of light that enemy weapons make should be bright enough to guide you to the exit.

Player Vision Radius reduced by 50% (So it's about 6 squares)
Enemy Vision Radius is unchanged.
Whenever a monster's last action was "Fire weapon at player", it creates a 5x5 square of light, centered on the enemy. You can see all items and enemies in this square, including the one that fired at you.
If the enemy fires at you, then moves, its last action is "Move", so the square of light goes dark again.

Angel of Impetus

Aparantly the theory of impetus was disproven long ago, but it still seems to apply to your weapons. While they work fine at max range, it takes a while for the bullets to pick up momentum, so fighting at close ranges is quite inefficient.

Player Ranged Damage is multiplied by (0.5 + (DistanceFromEnemy/20)). The multiplier is capped at 1.00 as to never benefit the player.
Player Melee Damage is multiplied by 0.5.

EDIT: I want to stress a bit more that while my 2 ideas are pretty good (I mean, I came up with them, they have to be awesome), Angel of Speed is a really wonderful idea and should be put in to the next BETA (hint hint)

And it might need a better name, less synonymous with haste. Perhaps "Angel of Panic" or "Angel of Indecision".
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 14:18 by Thomas »
Arch-Vile Chaos Major Thomas
[26/26/26/25/9/1]
Medals: 35/43 Specials: 69/67 Assemblies: 36/40

Malek Deneith

• Grand Inquisitor Emeritus
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: January 06, 2010, 15:06 »

Quote from: Thomas
Angel of Speed is a really wonderful idea and should be put in to the next BETA (hint hint)
Put a bounty on it :P
Inquisition - saving your soul, one bolter shell at a time.
Spoiler: "Hackmaster Kills" (click to show/hide)

Fanta Hege

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Will it work? I HAVE NO IDEA
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: January 06, 2010, 18:17 »

Angel of Stress.

You're a stressful man, anything you do out of ordinary creates you stress, now specialy when you're in a hell like this, things ain't that much better..
Each time played status changes, whenever to running, tired, invulnerable, berserk, you will start losing x health every x second. So better think twice before using dem power ups/run!
i dont even know anymore

Shadrak

• Private FC
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: January 06, 2010, 20:36 »

my two cents...

Angel of Traits - You were always a prodigy, able to get to the gist of things others had trouble with. But in Hell, there are demons almost as smart as you.

Gives player two traits at start-up, and removes all trait blocking. But every monster you meet also gets a trait. Or maybe even several - preferrably random.

Nobody expects a pack of SoB'd captains, dualgunner former humans, or a cat-eyed arch-vile with a pack of Int2 revenants (you ARE dead here =) )

Drone

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: January 07, 2010, 08:09 »

Angel of arena: Every randomised map you encounter will be an arena map.

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: January 07, 2010, 09:40 »

Angel of MacDonald's

Like everything from a related restaurant, all the floors are 4 times larger than what they were (160x40).  Have fun!
I computed, therefore I was.

ZZ

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: January 10, 2010, 03:27 »

Maybe another speed-based challenge, good fitting into Realism Challenge.

Angel of DoomGuy.

You think you're up there and nothing can hit you? You think you can go to the kitchen and drink coffee while your DoomGuy is in the middle of hell? You're wrong. Every time you move you have a time of the move delay and then you have 0.1 second to press the key, else you skip turn(1 sec.).

And another.

Angel of Gravity.
"A-a-a! What's happening?"

Every second everything except walls&doors fall down 1 square. But if something touches the wall it doesn't fall.

Silhar

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Brigadier General
  • Get psyched!
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: January 10, 2010, 12:22 »

Hey, if walls were falling too, THIS would make an interesting challenge. Fighting monsters and avoiding being crushed at the same time, all the stuff...

(Oh. Monster caves would be a hell to survive...)

Fanta Hege

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Will it work? I HAVE NO IDEA
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: January 10, 2010, 18:17 »

Angel of Indestructable

ALL the walls, Floor tiles, doors AND barrels become indestructable. Only expectition to this is nuking due of the power of the nuke.

With this challenge.. You're pretty much forced to go by the level. It should also make the wall and halls of carnage little bit more intresting.
i dont even know anymore

yns88

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: January 22, 2010, 19:09 »

I'm not sure if this has already been suggested yet, but:

ANGEL OF RAMBO
No time to reload!

+ All guns have twice the ammo capacity. Single-shot weapons have 10x ammo capacity each but must still be reloaded at full reload time per shot.

- Your backpack cannot hold ammunition, so you can't reload any of your guns. Hope you're carrying a few spares!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 19:10 by yns88 »

leonresevil2

« Reply #388 on: January 23, 2010, 21:35 »

Opinions:
I do not like the idea of Angel of Speed, Rushing, whatever you call it where the game is NOT turn-based but instead more real-time. Unless the time periods for a turn were made longer (5 or 10 seconds until a turn is forced), and a Pause key was added, I would not want to play that Challenge. I understand that it is intended to be a challenge, but it breaks one of the core elements of the game (turn-based game), and I do not feel that the challenge would be that much fun or different. I understand, AoB and AoPc break core elements too, but they are different, and fun... in a masochistic way. They allow for unique gameplay tactics, and fun stories for your mortems. Angel of Speed would be "No time to use inventory, no time to be strategic, no time to look at past message log, no time to think." I just don't feel that it would be fun, for some people at least. And some Challenges (AoD at least) were removed, I believe because no one really played them, or they were not different enough. Maybe I am wrong though, that's why this is my opinion.

Angel of Stress is a little bit confusing, and I don't think that powerups should punish the player.

Angel of Traits sounds good, as long as powerful enemies do not get overpowered. Arch-Viles with Hellrunner, Mancubi with Eagle Eye, a Baron of Hell with Tough as Nails plus Red Armor plus Large Health Packs, those could happen, but they would make the game almost unplayable, unless the traits you can get really make you just as powerful.

Angel of Arena would get boring after awhile, starting at the same place, having the same kind of enemies in the same basic places.

AoMcD..? Haha. I assume the screen would scroll then? Eh, that would kind of break the game.

Angel of Gravity is confusing, and doesn't sound like maps would be fun.

For Angel of Indestructible, I think barrels should be destructible, but not destroying things nearby except enemies. Does "Floor tiles" mean that acid and lava won't appear from barrels, or what?

Angel of Rambo sounds good, unique weapons would be broken in most instances, but that could be ok. Using regular weapons on enemies, and saving Uniques for the tougher guys, I guess. Melee characters would work well then, but Shottyman would be a little bit useless, along with Combat Shotguns.

As for my ideas, I have posted all my Challenge ideas awhile ago, haven't really thought of any others since then. So I thought I would give some input on the ideas shown here, since if we just list off ideas and no discussion results, the ideas will probably not be considered. At least as far as I can see.
Oh and sorry for the length. :)

yns88

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: January 23, 2010, 22:37 »

Angel of Rambo sounds good, unique weapons would be broken in most instances, but that could be ok. Using regular weapons on enemies, and saving Uniques for the tougher guys, I guess. Melee characters would work well then, but Shottyman would be a little bit useless, along with Combat Shotguns.

Some uniques would be nearly useless, others (like the nuclear plasma gun/bfg) would be as close to win-buttons as you could get in a challenge mode.

I wasn't thinking the balance through with the shotguns. I guess it would be better with 5x capacity on single-shot weapons. That way, a combat shotgun has 10 shots with a ~0.5sec pump in between shots, and a regular shotgun has 5 shots with ~1.5 sec reload in between each shot.

It's true that shottyman would be completely useless, but majority of the existing challenge modes make certain traits useless.

Overall I think it's a medium difficulty challenge. If it turns out to be too easy, then just reduce the 2x ammo buff to 1.5x or even 1x.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 43