Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 13:05
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 43

Author Topic: Challenge modes ideas - old and new.  (Read 291107 times)

Tavana

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
Re: Challenge modes ideas - old and new.
« Reply #435 on: August 16, 2010, 02:32 »

Angel of Future
Bullets? Ahaha boy! We're in the future, all in here we have is plasma and above!
All bullet weapons are replaced with plasma counter parts. Shotgun? Plasmashotgun. Chaingun? Plasmarifle. Yes even the weapons carried by the former humans, turning the diffuculty up quite a lot. Regular pistol wearing former humans use blasters due of no other plasma pistols but due of balance reasons will not drop the blaster, rather just energy cells.

Uniques/Exotics are not effected.

Could be good. Maybe start with a random exotic/unique armor to offset the damage possibilities of plasma? Or balance the damage output/speed of the enemies that aren't that familiar with the futuristic weaponry. Certainly possible, maybe even fun, but would require some tweaking to get things working in a smooth fashion. Can the current sandbox release allow you to set weapons held by enemies? If so (I can't recall) this could be attempted as a mod to see if it could work.
Common words do not mean common understanding. Language is mercurial. Meanings are never constant.

Captain Trek

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: August 17, 2010, 05:10 »

Regular pistol wearing former humans use blasters due of no other plasma pistols but due of balance reasons will not drop the blaster, rather just energy cells.

Why not? The player would have to start with one anyway and not having the formers drop theirs would just uneccessarily penalise anybody who wanted to do a pistol run of the mode... Besides, having the humans not drop cells (and instead drop blasters, which cannot be unloaded) would prevent the player from filling out his ammo spaces too quickly (I also think sergeants with their plasmashotguns should carry a very limited amount of ammo to further facilitate this)...

Uniques/Exotics are not effected.

And what happens when I find an exotic or a unique that uses bullets or shotgun shells? No, you'd have to change these as well so useless (in that mode, anyway) weapons like the minigun don't spawn...

Fanta Hege

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Will it work? I HAVE NO IDEA
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: August 17, 2010, 07:46 »

Why not? The player would have to start with one anyway and not having the formers drop theirs would just uneccessarily penalise anybody who wanted to do a pistol run of the mode... Besides, having the humans not drop cells (and instead drop blasters, which cannot be unloaded) would prevent the player from filling out his ammo spaces too quickly (I also think sergeants with their plasmashotguns should carry a very limited amount of ammo to further facilitate this)...

Honestly speaking I'm not actually sure how to do the start with as blaster is slightly OP in my opinion due of the infinite ammo. But maybe they could drop or maybe not.
I'm just hoping the next version would have a good plasma/techy version of pistol that wouldn't be blaster.

And what happens when I find an exotic or a unique that uses bullets or shotgun shells? No, you'd have to change these as well so useless (in that mode, anyway) weapons like the minigun don't spawn...

And what happens when I find SuperShotgun, BFG10k, DragonSlayer in Angel of Marksmanship?
i dont even know anymore

Captain Trek

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: August 17, 2010, 10:13 »

And what happens when I find SuperShotgun, BFG10k, DragonSlayer in Angel of Marksmanship?

Eh, I tried...

UltimateChaos

• Elder
  • Sergeant
  • Arch-Vile Mjr. General
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: August 17, 2010, 17:44 »

Angel of the Ailing

You are a former ass kicking marine!  Back in your day, you raided hell and destroyed the cyberdemon, and you have the scars to prove it.  On the verge of retirement, you gain word that your old pal cybie is back and all the new recruits have failed to take him down.  Return and show these fresh whelps how it's done!

You start as a level 20 marine with an inventory full of BFG, chaingun, large med kits, etc.  Enemies grant no exp, you already have plenty of that.  However, you haven't been keeping in shape and you're not used to this kind of mental and physical exertion.  As a result, every dungeon level you pass causes you to level DOWN, losing one of your much loved traits.  If that wasn't enough, the strain on your aching back prevents you carrying as many items, and your inventory spaces decrease by 1 ever level passed.  This is surely a one way trip...

[22/22/19/7/3]
Just completed Strongman Gold ^_^

Captain Trek

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: August 18, 2010, 03:14 »

Angel of the Ailing

You are a former ass kicking marine!  Back in your day, you raided hell and destroyed the cyberdemon, and you have the scars to prove it.  On the verge of retirement, you gain word that your old pal cybie is back and all the new recruits have failed to take him down.  Return and show these fresh whelps how it's done!

You start as a level 20 marine with an inventory full of BFG, chaingun, large med kits, etc.  Enemies grant no exp, you already have plenty of that.  However, you haven't been keeping in shape and you're not used to this kind of mental and physical exertion.  As a result, every dungeon level you pass causes you to level DOWN, losing one of your much loved traits.  If that wasn't enough, the strain on your aching back prevents you carrying as many items, and your inventory spaces decrease by 1 ever level passed.  This is surely a one way trip...

This sort of thing has been proposed before and your version of it is a little extreme, IMO... I honestly don't think it would be possible to fight through most of Phobos Hell with no traits and not a single inventory slot...

Shoop da Whoop

• First Sergeant
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: August 18, 2010, 08:04 »

Angel of Speed

Run! Fight! To breathe - it's tough!
No time to walk - hellish fiends are everywhere! You cannot walk - you're ever running. And you can charge to run even faster! But don't stop - your legs are aching...

You get such (dis)advantages:
Dodge bonus +20%
Move speed +30%
Fire toHit -1 (normal -2)
Fire defense +3 (normal +4)
Melee damage /2
Melee defense +3 (normal +4)

Also, you get protective boots at start and suffer 1 damage for each second when stand still.

And when you charge: (tactics - charging)
Dodge bonus +35%
Move speed +45%
Fire toHit -3
Fire defense +5
Melee damage /3
Melee defense +5

When tired, you return to normal running.

PS: this needs some rebalancing. But it's still fun.
Code: [Select]
He had posted some posts.
He waited enough for new version of DoomRL.
He played classic Doom but not passed. He also played rogulikes. And once he found the intersection of these sets...

UltimateChaos

• Elder
  • Sergeant
  • Arch-Vile Mjr. General
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: August 18, 2010, 08:12 »

This sort of thing has been proposed before and your version of it is a little extreme, IMO... I honestly don't think it would be possible to fight through most of Phobos Hell with no traits and not a single inventory slot...

I didn't realize it has been proposed before, although many ideas here probably have.

This of course could be balanced a bit, such as maybe losing a level every two floors, or always being able to carry at least one or two inventory slots.  I figure it would be a challenge to take down cybie with only say, two slots of items and your prepared and carried weps. I think Hell would be perfectly doable without any traits, you'd basically already have BFG etc. and you'd only be going the last 5 levels of phobos hell without them, which are just a survival run anyway.  If this is too extreme, a level loss every couple stairs akin to Angel of Pacifism would work.
[22/22/19/7/3]

Captain Trek

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: August 18, 2010, 10:29 »

Shoop da Whoop, I think any challenge mode that penalises you even more severely for standing still than Red Alert already does is probably too tough... I don't know about th rest of the community, but losing health every time I fire a weapon, pick something up, use items or indeed take any action other than moving is not my idea of fun...

Shoop da Whoop

• First Sergeant
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: August 18, 2010, 11:29 »

Let it be 3 turns, then. Shoot, reload, move. Repeat.
Code: [Select]
He had posted some posts.
He waited enough for new version of DoomRL.
He played classic Doom but not passed. He also played rogulikes. And once he found the intersection of these sets...

UltimateChaos

• Elder
  • Sergeant
  • Arch-Vile Mjr. General
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: August 27, 2010, 01:57 »

To be honest, I think you have a good idea as is.  Having a few challenge modes just for fun with all badge earning disabled would be fun and is currently a missed feature in DoomRL.  For these fun challenges, I would recommend all of the following I've seen...

AoBones - If this became a badge-earning challenge, I could see a lot of trouble balancing it and a lot of abuse when it came to setting up levels to get the badges specifically.  Let it be an awesome fun experience in and of itself.

AoFuture - Giving all the enemies plasma weapons, including yourself, is just a very fun idea that doesn't seem like it would be too difficult to implement.  Even if the changes were simply that all enemies did plasma damage and dropped plasma weapons for pickup.

AoSpeed - Having Running and charging seems a little unbalanced and weird, but why not just have your marine constantly in running mode?  There's already penalties for running, I would love to play a game in constant running mode, even if there were no badges for it.  It would even be fun to be able to switch to a tired state for awhile, then be forced back into running.  "You feel unsettled.  You begin to run!"

Since it seems like badges are the thing that is difficult to balance, why not add in modes just for fun?
[22/22/19/7/3]

ZZ

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: August 27, 2010, 17:42 »

That's for what I proposed implementing modes. They're not meant to be challenges, so they can do some crazy things to gameplay. Like decreasing the move time or giving everything exploision damage.

And also - badges aren't supposed to be the major thing in the challenge, so we can just implement the badge with the crazy requirement, and let somebody be proud if he gets it.

Angel of Rage

Every demon possesses inherit hatred to every human. But it looks like they possess double hatred to you personally. Every demon you see drops his weapons and runs to you, forgetting everything. Every enemy (except LS) gets x4 to speed, but looses his ranged attack. Everything has the AI of demon.

Angel of something strange
Every barrel can shoot as any demon which can see it, including another barrel. Demons and LS and Pain Elementals are disabled in this challenge. Every level is filled with barrels (like "Khe, he, he ..." level). Special levels are not affected.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 14:26 by ZZ »
Put a chainsaw in my coffin. If I go to Hell, I'll need to do some cleaning there.

Patashu

• Backer
  • Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: September 15, 2010, 02:50 »

When modding comes in, it should be possible to swap Angels in and out via pieces of LUA code. :D

Angel of Detonation:
Corpses explode ala regular barrels.

Angel of Low Friction:
Hell froze over! Unless you're next to something big and solid you can hang onto (barrel, wall, lever) you automatically move in the last direction you moved in, including when you took a completely different action.
Shooting your weapon will make you start moving in the direction opposite your attack.

Angel of Solipsism:
As a fervent believer of the philosophy that nothing exists outside of your consciousness, you find yourself incapable of dealing damage to an enemy outside of your LOS, but that won't stop them from hurting you!

Angel of Xorn:
The Legions of Hell will even burrow through walls if it gets them to you faster!
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 03:19 by Patashu »

Madtrixr

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: September 24, 2010, 22:53 »

(Just for Fun, so probably painfully unbalanced, but I'm just tossing something out)

Angel Of North Star

Demons you say? Ha! They are no match for the legendary Hokuto Shinken!
Imagine if Doomguy knew this deadly 2000 year old art...He would tear through hell like paper.

Game: You are automatically named Kenshiro.
Fists only. no knives, no chainsaw, no special Melee weapons.
you always gib the enemy in one to two hits, except boss-types, like the AoD, and Cybie.
They go down in 3 or 4.
You have dodgemaster, Iro3, Brute3, Hellrunner, TaN3.

I really don't have anything else. it's not even a serious idea, so yeah.
<Malek_Deneith> What is a PC? A miserable little pile of XP. But enough plot - have at you!

[B/S/G/P/D]
[19/8/5/0/0]

Sirdec

• Elder
  • Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: September 25, 2010, 04:13 »

AoMyHeartIsWeak Carefull on the stimpacks, the doctor said those would kill me. Medpacks and Health globes have a 25% chance to damage you instead of healing you.

AoGambling Easy the RNG picks up your traits at level up (this can be very easy or very hard depending on luck)

just random ideas
Roguelikes beaten
DoomRL : a lot of wins, best one AoMr UV 100%
DCSS : 10 runer MdFi
AliensRL
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 43