Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 16:38
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 43

Author Topic: Challenge modes ideas - old and new.  (Read 291151 times)

ZZ

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Challenge modes ideas - old and new.
« Reply #450 on: September 25, 2010, 07:13 »

While RNG chooses your traits it never can be easier than normal challenge.

Angel of Wall-Hugging
You're the wall-hugger. Literaly. While you're not near the wall and there are enemies on the screen, you receive 7 damage every action. But while you're near the wall you get +1 to defence. You always start near the wall.
Put a chainsaw in my coffin. If I go to Hell, I'll need to do some cleaning there.

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: September 25, 2010, 10:21 »

Angel of Wall-Hugging
You're the wall-hugger. Literaly. While you're not near the wall and there are enemies on the screen, you receive 7 damage every action. But while you're near the wall you get +1 to defence. You always start near the wall.
Even for arena-type maps?  What about city maps?  Cave maps with lots of lava?

I think the only time this will work well is when you are in a maze map, because in almost all the other cases, it's just too hard to stick to a wall.  Notice 7 damage every action translates to being nearly dead at action 7, assuming lack of Iro.

From another perspective, wall hugging that much also means Mancubi are instant death, as are any thing that shoots big fire ball/acid ball/rockets.

In short, I think this is just not fair enough by any degree to be completely viable.
I computed, therefore I was.

Angles of death

• Second Lieutenant
  • HOLD. DEVILS. POT OF TEA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: September 25, 2010, 23:56 »

Angel of restriction (I can't think of a discription)

You can only hold 3 weapons, one prepared, one in inventory and one wielded.

You can only hold 4 items (Phase devices, stimpacks etc)

Bullets and explosions do WAY more damage. (You should start with a blue armour so you don't get shredded by the F.H's in the first level)

You can only hold 3 piles of ammo. No more (A pile of ammo is the maximum one slot of inventory can hold full of ammo, you know a pile of shotgun ammo would be 50 shells)
...........A...A....M...A.....V
......V.............@......A..>
........V....V..C....B....B..A
Take a look to the sky just before you die it's the last time he will!!!

kossa

• Private FC
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: October 20, 2010, 06:34 »

Angel of Mediocrity

Description: You look at your broomstick. You were never good at anything. While others excel at something you painfully crawl to learn the basics of survival.

Effects: No advanced traits or Master traits. Only basic traits. Needs 100% more points to level up.
Or:       No Master traits. More 25% for each level of difficulty (25% HntR, 50% HmP, 75% UV, 100% N!).

Patashu

• Backer
  • Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: October 21, 2010, 18:56 »

Angel of Wall-Hugging

How about 1 damage instead of 7? It's still going to discourage you and thus achieve the purpose of the challenge, but not be a killer.

Sachiko

• Sergeant
  • I hunt down Cheat-modders and collect their skulls
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: November 08, 2010, 13:08 »

(Just for Fun, so probably painfully unbalanced, but I'm just tossing something out)

Angel Of North Star

Demons you say? Ha! They are no match for the legendary Hokuto Shinken!
Imagine if Doomguy knew this deadly 2000 year old art...He would tear through hell like paper.

Game: You are automatically named Kenshiro.
Fists only. no knives, no chainsaw, no special Melee weapons.
you always gib the enemy in one to two hits, except boss-types, like the AoD, and Cybie.
They go down in 3 or 4.
You have dodgemaster, Iro3, Brute3, Hellrunner, TaN3.

I really don't have anything else. it's not even a serious idea, so yeah.

This made my day. I couldn't stop laughing when I looked at it! XD

There's just one little problem... We don't know where are demons' power points.

Aaaaanyways! My own personal contribution after being silent for so long!

Angel of ghosts

Even though you are outside the Phobos base, and believe you are asleep, the truth is, you were with the rest of the team when you first delved into hell, and like the rest, you died. You're just not aware of it. Your enemies are, though. And not even death will save you from them!

+You can pass through walls.
+You can pass through enemies, except Lost Souls.
+You can't be attacked in melee, except by Lost Souls. Only ranged attacks will hurt you.

-You can't do melee attacks, only ranged attacks can hurt your enemies. The exception to this is Lost Souls.
-Your inventory is reduced. You cannot carry as much stuff, because you're not corporeal, and thus can only carry what you can hold inside your ectoplasm.
-Ranged attacks do more damage. The legions of hell are VERY experienced in causing pain to souls.
If you ever use cheat-mode, I'll go for you and kill you while you sleep.

Kg

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Celestial Horizon
« Reply #456 on: December 16, 2010, 19:09 »

Angel of Deafness

<Insert story here>
Yea, you can't hear monsters, explosions, door openings - anything. But hey, your sight is increased and you gain +1 to LOS! It could be a fun challenge, since you often depend on listening and corner shooting.

PS

Not sure if I hadn't posted it before, excuse me if I had done so.
Hell Baron 2nd Lieutenant
[22|11|4|0|0]
Latest: Eagerness Bronze

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: December 16, 2010, 19:14 »

Angel of Deafness

<Insert story here>
Yea, you can't hear monsters, explosions, door openings - anything. But hey, your sight is increased and you gain +1 to LOS! It could be a fun challenge, since you often depend on listening and corner shooting.

PS

Not sure if I hadn't posted it before, excuse me if I had done so.
This sounds like how I used to play DoomRL... but without MCe.

Speaking of which, who are still using MCe nowadays?  It seems to have gone out of vogue or something...
I computed, therefore I was.

ZZ

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: January 16, 2011, 12:20 »

Angel of Restriction
"Your mother always told you : 'Don't do this. It's bad for you'. Too bad that you didn't remember all of them precisely. But now, affected by demons, it looks like you're regaining your memories. However you seem to be composing by yourself some parts of your mother's advises. Now, every action has some chance to be restricted for the future. And because your mother taught you well, you're now gaining 2 traits every levelup."

The chances are, roughly:
Shooting a given weapon: 1/25;
Moving in a given direction: 1/20;
Picking up medpack: 1/15;
Reloading a given weapon: 1/10;
Altreloading: 1/10;
Altfiring: 1/10;
Modding armor: 1/10;
Picking up an armor: 1/10;
Open doors: 1/10;
Push barrels: 1/5;
Picking up non-medpack item: 1/5;
Modding a weapon: 1/5;
Using given powerup: 1/4;

Of course, it shouldn't restrict you from completing the game, for example restrict you from shooting every weapon.
So, at the start it would be easier than normal game, but in the end you won't be able to do almost anything, but you will have pretty big amount of traits.
Put a chainsaw in my coffin. If I go to Hell, I'll need to do some cleaning there.

Generic

• Second Lieutenant
  • the local Doom consistency checker
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: January 16, 2011, 13:03 »

Moving in a given direction: 1/20;
I don't think I'll be playing this challenge mode any time soon. :P

IGTN

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: January 19, 2011, 23:17 »

Angel of Explosions

Things always seem to blow up around you. Fuel barrels, medical waste containers, the occasional ammo cache, even the coffee machine sprayed you then burst into flames once. Now that you're going into hell, things are blowing up around you even more. All blast radii are increased by 1, or by 2 if they were 3 or more before.

This applies to imps, cacos, B's, barrels, rockets, mancubi, revenants, viles, and everything else that does splash damage.

Garlyle

• Lance Corporal
  • Former Human Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: January 20, 2011, 01:36 »

Angel of Explosions

Things always seem to blow up around you. Fuel barrels, medical waste containers, the occasional ammo cache, even the coffee machine sprayed you then burst into flames once. Now that you're going into hell, things are blowing up around you even more. All blast radii are increased by 1, or by 2 if they were 3 or more before.

This applies to imps, cacos, B's, barrels, rockets, mancubi, revenants, viles, and everything else that does splash damage.
This... actually sounds like a lot of fun!  Of course, fireangel would break it and on easier difficulties you could have it before encountering most of the stuff that would make that dangerous...
0.9.9.7 Stats: [7 M / 17 S / 4 A] - [10 / 2 / 2 / 0 / 0 / 0]

Thexare

• Elder
  • Captain
  • I think I need a new favorite gun now...
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: February 11, 2011, 19:41 »

Angel of Choice
You have a favorite gun or blade you've mastered the use of, and you bring it with you on every mission. You can't stand to be seperated from it.

Effect: Choose any one specific weapon - even an exotic or a unique! (Dragonslayer and Artifacts obviously omitted, uniques/exotics limited to those you've already found, doesn't count toward collection records) You start with it and a full stack of ammunition, if applicable. However! You cannot use any other weapon, not even the same category - no Trigun/Beretta dualgunning, no switching to a Double Shotgun to clear a room of Lost Souls, and so on. Dual-wielding Blasters yet to be determined.

This gives you a considerable advantage over other specialized challenges in that you're guaranteed to start with a useful item, but deprives you of AoMr's dualgunning, AoSg's ability to switch shotguns as warranted, and AoB's chance at the Dragonslayer or Longinus Spear.

Former Human Corporal
1/42 M, 7/60 S, 3/30 A
[ 6 / 1 / 0 / 0 / 0 ]

Tesmador

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: February 13, 2011, 05:27 »

PLEASE give us this one:
(maybe unlocked with the Arch-Vile Rank or later)

Angle of 100 action hero
"You are fireangel AND army of the damned! You are ammochain and eagle eye!
You are a fucking bastard!"
Like  Angel of 100, but the traits do not block anything.
[26/23/14/2/1]

Nameless

• First Sergeant
  • Proud owner of 22/22 bronzes: "It's a start!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: February 16, 2011, 15:57 »

Some of these may have been suggested before, I am not about to read 31 pages to check. Also? Maaaaaan, I wish I could actually play some of these.

Angel of Retribution
You dirty my armor? You die!
At any given time, only a single enemy can be 'in-focus'. Your focus is initially determined by whichever enemy enters your line of sight first (preferring the nearest, then most dangerous, if simultaneous). However, this can be overridden by an enemy causing direct damage to you, in which case they become in-focus and cannot be overridden. When the in-focus enemy dies, your focus resets and any other nearby enemies are considered to have simultaneously re-entered your line of sight.
Enemies which ARE NOT in-focus are invisible (although their bullets / sounds are not) and the player suffers -4 to accuracy against them.
Enemies which ARE in-focus can be sensed outside your line of sight and suffer -4 accuracy against the player.

Angel of Escalation
You're not the only one on Phobos who's learning ...
Each kill nets you twice as much experience as usual. For each set of stairs you descend, all enemies gain a small incremental bonus to their stats. And each time you kill an enemy, there's an additional chance that the next enemy of that type will arm(or) themselves with higher-tier or even modded equipment.

Angel of Forging
This is the end which you point at the bad guy.
Gaining experience does not give you traits. Instead, you start with both a chaingun and combat shotgun in hand. Reaching experience levels 2 to 4 will spawn a random exotic item at your feet. Reaching higher experience levels with spawn a random unique item at your feet.

Angel of the Apocalypse
Where I walk, no demons dare tread.
Every time you step off of a tile, it turns to lava. To be fair, maze levels are not generated.

Angel of Fortune
This just got interesting.
All normal levels are generated to contain both extra barrels and a vault. The catch? Levers never safely explode the barrels and the stairs are always placed within the vault.

Angel of Fate
The die is cast, and your guns are loaded. Let blood rain.
There are no stairs to special levels. Instead, most standard levels (excluding L14 and L24) place two regular stairs. Moving onto either of their tiles triggers a flavor message. Which you choose determines the special condition for the next level. Some examples of these could be:
"So the hunter becomes the hunted ..." Spawns a boss monster.
"The hoard awaits you ..." Killing any enemy spawns two more elsewhere.
"Ugh, such a slog ..." Any damage to the player or enemies is reduced by a half.
"Even the air is jumpy ..." Explosion radiuses are increased and knockback is doubled.
And so on, to a dozen or more total.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 43