Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 03:02
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 43

Author Topic: Challenge modes ideas - old and new.  (Read 290961 times)

raekuul

• Supporter
  • Brigadier General
  • Storyteller Under The Bridge
    • View Profile
    • Veldania
Re: Challenge modes ideas - old and new.
« Reply #495 on: April 15, 2011, 08:43 »

Angel of Wisdom

You get 20 traits at start. No monsters give experience. Choose well.
Tormuse doesn't lose, he dies on purpose to lull the demons into a false sense of security.

ZZ

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: April 15, 2011, 09:15 »

Angel of Wisdom is too easy. Better would be if you would have only 2 inventory slots, but 25 free traits at the start. Of course, no exp gain.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 12:52 by ZZ »
Put a chainsaw in my coffin. If I go to Hell, I'll need to do some cleaning there.

raekuul

• Supporter
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
    • Veldania
« Reply #497 on: April 15, 2011, 12:36 »

ZZ, I cheated myself to Character Level 23 and still died before Hellgate on HMP. Are you suggesting that the Master Traits would be so helpful in the early game that they would allow you to steamroll your way through the entire game?

The main point of Angel of Wisdom is to try and force the player to plan their character path from the word "go". The other purpose is so that people can experiment more freely with trait combinations.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 12:38 by raekuul »
Tormuse doesn't lose, he dies on purpose to lull the demons into a false sense of security.

grommile

• Elder
  • First Lieutenant
  • mmm beer
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: April 15, 2011, 12:46 »

ZZ, I cheated myself to Character Level 23 and still died before Hellgate on HMP. Are you suggesting that the Master Traits would be so helpful in the early game that they would allow you to steamroll your way through the entire game?
From where I'm sitting, it looks like a lot of the master traits become decidedly unattractive when you get 20 trait picks all in one go at the start.
0.9.9.7: 22-15-10-0-0 22/43 62/67 (P 349, D 43/67) 36/40 (B19 A12 M5) Arch-Vile CPT

Armorer Platinum and Diamond should be abolished; the Dragonslayer taboo deserves every scrap of mockery it receives.

ZZ

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: April 15, 2011, 12:48 »

There is no challenge in this. Even on UV standart game you don't get enough exp to advance to level 20. So there is just no challenge aspect in this angel. You're just given free traits. What I suggest is that you get massive amount of expirience, maybe even enough to promote yourself to level 25, but you must fight without using any medkits, spare mods and armor and with constant ammo shortage.
Put a chainsaw in my coffin. If I go to Hell, I'll need to do some cleaning there.

raekuul

• Supporter
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
    • Veldania
« Reply #500 on: April 15, 2011, 13:47 »

I can see how that could be a problem. Maybe lower it to 15 traits?

@Grom: I didn't actually have a master trait; I was going for my favorite Power Pistol build.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 13:48 by raekuul »

BirdoPrey

• Elder
  • Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: April 15, 2011, 17:11 »

How about this modification that I suggested in the gun kata thread -
Angel of Alzheimers (or Forgetfulness or something)
Start the game with 15 traits of your choosing - Every time you level up you pick a trait to lose a level in.

Tuomari Jim

• Sergeant
  • Just lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: April 16, 2011, 01:06 »

How about this modification that I suggested in the gun kata thread -
Angel of Alzheimers (or Forgetfulness or something)
Start the game with 15 traits of your choosing - Every time you level up you pick a trait to lose a level in.

I think it would be hilarious, but I'm not sure how it would play out. You could just try to avoid monsters as much as you can, which would essentially make this challenge an easier version of Angel of Pacifism. Moreover, it would take forever to lose the 15th(the first to go in this challenge) level, meaning you could just dance through the earlier levels without worries even if they decided to go full out aggro, unless exp requirements are reversed to reflect normal gameplay. But then again, alzheimer's gets worse as time progresses, so why would you forget more in the beginning?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 01:13 by Tuomari Jim »

Deathwind

• Colonel
  • HMP Angel of Patience 0.9.9.4
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: April 16, 2011, 01:10 »

add the level up effect from Angel of Pacifism to balance it
v.997 [16/5/2/0/0]

Potman

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: April 21, 2011, 08:55 »

Demon of Something. No, not Angel. Demon.

Bored on assaulting all hells by yourself? Tired of being the hero to wipe out evil? Let's switch the roles!

You are now a puny imp, sent by yourself to assault a human stronghold. Your mission: break through the mortal defenses to destroy the latest innovation in their weapons technology, the dreaded Cyber-Titan! What waits you is humans, sergeants, captains, and commandoes, all with their Former prefix removed, as well as vicious bloodthirsty hounds to replace demons, small attack drones instead of lost souls, mobile heavy weapon turrets instead of cacodemons, power armored robot soldiers instead of hell knights or barons, and other deadly and scary machinery of mankind, the best they have to offer against the forces of hell! What is a tiny demon to do?

You have naught your fireball and pansy claw attack. Worse, while you could definitely scavenge some weapons from your fallen enemies, you have never seen such high-tech magic before, and must learn yourself to use them in the hard way: thus, any traits involving the use of any sort of weaponry (SoaG, Reloader, Triggerhappy, etc.) cannot be chosen at all until you have handled any weapon that benefits from them!

Also unlike Doomguy, if YOU don't survive, there are hordes of unlucky imps behind you, ready to be sent for another go immediately afterwards. Good luck!

ParaSait

• Baffen :P
  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
« Reply #505 on: April 21, 2011, 09:11 »

Sounds more like a mod idea.
[18|7|3|0|0|0] [MED:13/43] [SPE:36/67] [ASM:11/40]

Check out my epic youtube channel!
Currently playing The Bard's Tale and System Shock 2 (coop with GrAV1t)!

raekuul

• Supporter
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
    • Veldania
« Reply #506 on: April 21, 2011, 09:59 »

I can see it now. "DoomRL: I Wanna Be The Imp," or even "DoomRL: Can I Really Be The Imp?"

BirdoPrey

• Elder
  • Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: April 21, 2011, 17:34 »

Angel of Doom III - all open spaces are replaced with tiny corridors with no room to dodge.  All paths are completely linear. Your vision radius fluctuates between 5 and 0. 1 to 3 imps spawn in every room/hallway. Whenever you step on a medpack or armor monsters spawn around you. All the monster glyphs are scarier looking.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 22:40 by BirdoPrey »

Deathwind

• Colonel
  • HMP Angel of Patience 0.9.9.4
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: April 22, 2011, 23:53 »

Angel of Doom III
The horrible idea thread is a few posts down...
v.997 [16/5/2/0/0]

BirdoPrey

• Elder
  • Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: April 23, 2011, 00:55 »

Whoops! Looks like I am a Bad Poster.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 43