Chaosforge Forum

• April 19, 2024, 09:50
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Revenant and Doom 3 monsters.  (Read 13173 times)

Malek Deneith

• Grand Inquisitor Emeritus
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
Revenant and Doom 3 monsters.
« on: December 16, 2007, 12:44 »

There are two reasons for this topic:

1)First one is the Revenant - the only original monster (sans Spider Mastermind, which is a boss-type monster and thus in completly diffrent league) that still havn't made it to the game. Of course the reason for this are his trademark homing rockets, which are hard to port without giving them the dreaded auto-hit. So I propose we start brainstorming - maby we can think out somethign interesting (one thing I suggested was making Rev's rockets sort of semi-creatures that stay "alive" for limited time and try to catch you, but even I myslef see problems with that idea)

2)Second reason are Doom 3 monsters - I'd like to discuss whether some monsters from Doom 3 could make it to DoomRL (the sounds would be a bit of an issue, but then again we can substitute other monsters sounds). My opinions on those would be as follows:

Zombie citizen - eh, both cannon fodder and weak melee unit roles are already taken - maby an special level filled with those for a laugh, but otherwise skip it.

Chainsaw zombie - this one could be interesting, but crash a bit with chained court - maby a late game, rare spawn as a secondary source of chainsaw?

Maggot - not too interesting, sadly - skip it.

Wraith - now that's something interesting - they could could take over imp's melee role (give them lunge attack, as one that Berserk! bulldemons have and either phase at will or controled teleport), and regular imps could get an AI-shift into "more shooty, melee secondary" type.

Trite - can't see a way to make them interesting.

Tick - suicide bomber anyone? :D

Cherub - another one I can't think of use for.

Hmmm, 3 I found possible use for, 4 that I did not see use for... but then again maby someone else has ideas on those monsters - discuss.
Inquisition - saving your soul, one bolter shell at a time.
Spoiler: "Hackmaster Kills" (click to show/hide)

Potman

• Major
    • View Profile
Re: Revenant and Doom 3 monsters.
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2007, 13:03 »

I've always thought there should be Spider Mastermind appearing in Spider's Lair, once you've cleared all the smaller Arachnotrons.

As for Revenants... Well I really can't see problem with them semi-creature missile thingies. You could guide them at another enemies, right?

sn0rb

• Sergeant
  • Blue. Ninja. Needs. Wii. Badly.
    • View Profile
    • Random Ranting
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2007, 14:16 »

1)First one is the Revenant - the only original monster (sans Spider Mastermind, which is a boss-type monster and thus in completly diffrent league) that still havn't made it to the game.

You're forgetting Baphomet =p

Then again, I suppose Endguy already covers that post, seeing as he spawns monsters and otherwise sits there waiting for you to kill him.
Well, excuse me while I defy all laws of logic and science and do it anyway!

007bistromath

• Backer
  • First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2007, 12:30 »

Revenant and Spider Mastermind: YES.

Doom 3 monsters: DO NOT WANT.

This game is all about old schoolin'. It's more old-school than old-school. It's a roguelike of the game that came after Wolf3D, FFS. Doom 3 doesn't exist here.

Malek Deneith

• Grand Inquisitor Emeritus
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2007, 12:37 »

Yessss... it's god old-school weapon mods, old-school traits and old-school inventory all of which original dooms had. [/sarcasm]
Inquisition - saving your soul, one bolter shell at a time.
Spoiler: "Hackmaster Kills" (click to show/hide)

Conker

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2007, 12:44 »

In terms of zombie citizens as weak melee cannon fodder... What about a special level FILLED with them? I mean, we have the City of Skulls, but Lost Souls are fast and have nasty damage. If we had something that's incredibly weak - but in massive numbers - in an early special level, it could be fun and unique.

Say a layout similar to the Spider's Lair, except there's a massive amount of former citizens (imagine former humans without a pistol, and who only take one shot to kill). The challenge for the player would be killing them quickly enough before they got overwhelmed.

For it to be any challenge at all, it'd have to come early - before things like the BFG made it a non-challenge. Perhaps pre-arena?

007bistromath

• Backer
  • First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2007, 12:45 »

Yessss... it's god old-school weapon mods, old-school traits and old-school inventory all of which original dooms had. [/sarcasm]
It ain't the reality man, it's the flavor. This game would suck on ice if it had the mechanical depth of the real thing. It's a roguelike, duh it has to have more to it. But it still feels like old-school Doom. Doom 3 wasn't nearly... ridiculous enough. It forgot what it was and tried (failed, but tried) to be a Serious Horror Game instead. The enemies were probably one of the main reasons for that.

Rabiat

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2007, 15:02 »

I'm sure I'd enjoy a special level crawling with zombies. Especially if there were several varieties as in Doom 3 (melee, chainsaw, chaingun), and if they'd respawn. To make up for this they'd have to be slow, easy to kill, and stupid, attacking without regard for themselves or their fellows. On the other hand, this could turn out to be an easy variant of the mortuary, and the zombies' stupidity might require specific AI.

Wraiths could be interesting for their teleporting ability, but I'm afraid they'd cause lots of unsatisfactory instadeaths. Especially in a game with so many random factors as a roguelike, players should be able to rely on tactical gameplay, not luck.

Exploding barrels are among the things that make DoomRL a great game to play. It'd be even greater if they'd move. Therefore, Ticks are cool. And yes, they'd be terribly unfair to berserkers.

Cherubs would unfortunately have very little use, which is a shame because they're positively horrific in Doom 3. I can't think of a way to scare the player with a baby 'c' though, without some defining behaviour.
0.9.9.2 - [22/8/2/0/0] - Mancubus Scrap Metal Collector

DaEezT

• Greater Elder
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2007, 15:18 »

Chainsaw Zombie all the way!

You want a chainsaw? Take it from its cold dead hand! :D
"Morality is merely a convention with which men mutually agree to delude themselves. There are no moral facts, just preferences, and one is no better than any other."

Blade

• Tester
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
    • Upyachka
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2008, 12:27 »

* Blade raises his hands. The topic suddenly rises from the dead!

So, maybe somebody have interesting suggestions and ideas how to make Revenant in turn-based roguelike game?)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 12:31 by Blade »
Low orbit ion cannon damaged my brain!!1
Now i'm an idiot!1 Kill me, somebody!!11

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2008, 12:32 »

Just one quick comment -- Slower-Than-A-Turn missiles are out of the question.
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

DaEezT

• Greater Elder
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2008, 13:17 »

ok, I'll tell you all the obvious solution for the Revenant since nobody seems to notice: Just like any other monster!

That's right. We gave up on fireball dodging when we took the step from real time to turn based and every god damned splash baddie instant hits you. You can't even dance around Cybie's rockets ffs, so why the big fuss about the Revenant?

So the solution for the Revenant is: Fires two time per attack (like the Mancubus), both shots have minimal splash and always hit (ignores evasion). Maybe give them some nice looking animation e.g. the rockets don't fly straight and instead go in arcs.
"Morality is merely a convention with which men mutually agree to delude themselves. There are no moral facts, just preferences, and one is no better than any other."

Blade

• Tester
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
    • Upyachka
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2008, 13:26 »

You can't even dance around Cybie's rockets ffs, so why the big fuss about the Revenant?

You can dance around him for ALMOST forever with HR*3. So why should we grant to Revenant ability to insta-hit? I always felt that experienced original DooM player is just DooM RL player but with almost all traits maxed(at least HR, IM and EE). And newbie DooM player is DooM RL player without traits at all because he can't dodge single fireball, miss pretty often and die very fast.) Maybe grant Revenant chance to-hit that is higher than other monsters have? There should be always some chance to evade that rocket, even if it's small.

So the solution for the Revenant is: Fires two time per attack (like the Mancubus)

I very dislike DooM 3 Revenants that fired 2 rockets. In DooM 2 they fired 1 rocket at a time.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 14:58 by Blade »
Low orbit ion cannon damaged my brain!!1
Now i'm an idiot!1 Kill me, somebody!!11

Potman

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2008, 14:15 »

Let's say that Revenant has higher than average chance to hit, but if the rocket misses, it'll automatically home to some other random monster close to you. Hilarity ensues.

Cora

• Private FC
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2008, 14:31 »

Idea:
If you hide behind the wall, revenant still will shot a missle and this missle, doing an semi-circle path hit a character.
Pages: [1] 2  All