Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 10:13
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: DoomRL 0.9.8.8 - Released!  (Read 42237 times)

Karry

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: DoomRL 0.9.8.8 - Released!
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2007, 09:45 »

Interesting update.
The balance is rescaled yet again.

Now the ordinary games are easier, mostly because those "monster packs" are almost always just marines, even in Hell levels.

However, the challenge games became much more harder. For example AoB is even HARDER than in the previous release, i didnt think it was possible. Now its just pure luck, skills are useless.

Also, this new tactics system seems either bugged, or maybe the dodge bonus in "cautious" mode has been substantially reduced. Before you could dodge, like, every 6th shot from marines, on average (while actively strafing, of course), now it seems like its every 8th shot or ever more rare.

However still, several HUGE and OLD bugs were fixed as well, so its all good.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2007, 09:50 by Karry »

Blade

• Tester
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
    • Upyachka
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2007, 10:05 »

Now the ordinary games are easier, mostly because those "monster packs" are almost always just marines, even in Hell levels.

On what difficulty levels?

However, the challenge games became much more harder. For example AoB is even HARDER than in the previous release, i didnt think it was possible. Now its just pure luck, skills are useless.

Only AoB, or all challenge games?

Also, this new tactics system seems either bugged, or maybe the dodge bonus in "cautious" mode has been substantially reduced. Before you could dodge, like, every 6th shot from marines, on average (while actively strafing, of course), now it seems like its every 8th shot or ever more rare.

Seems that not tactics are bugged, but to-hit chance is bugged(it's bigger to everyone)(or dodge chance is lowered for everyone), because look here, and check mortem text log. Count quantity of hit bullets fired from my chaingun only with EE*1. They are 18 of 18.
Low orbit ion cannon damaged my brain!!1
Now i'm an idiot!1 Kill me, somebody!!11

Karry

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2007, 10:15 »

On what difficulty levels?
I just dl'd it today, so i can only check the first 3.

Only AoB, or all challenge games?
Same, only AoB for now. It was always significantly harder than other types, but you can clearly see how it got progressively harder and harder from the first release onwards.

Seems that not tactics are bugged, but to-hit chance is bugged(it's bigger to everyone)
Could be true. I could also say that for "cautious" the chaingun in my hands was surprisingly accurate.

Blade

• Tester
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
    • Upyachka
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2007, 10:41 »

I just dl'd it today, so i can only check the first 3.

Try UV, i'm interested in your opinion.

Same, only AoB for now. It was always significantly harder than other types, but you can clearly see how it got progressively harder and harder from the first release onwards.

Then it's problem of AoB only. I have tested some other challenges and they seems to be ok. Possible fix of AoB difficulty - make monsters sum for levels for AoB challenge lower(coefficient 0.75, maybe). Or make monsters not to appear in packs for this challenge...

P.S. Have just tried AoB game on NTR. I got to the CC without problems in first try. Maybe that was very lucky try, but still..
« Last Edit: December 25, 2007, 11:24 by Blade »
Low orbit ion cannon damaged my brain!!1
Now i'm an idiot!1 Kill me, somebody!!11

Karry

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2007, 11:21 »

About those "monster packs"...
I tried AoB one more time, got to level 5 on 3rd difficulty, and then i saw them...22 former humans in a single room...and maybe i havent quite seen all of them, i dont know.

Thomas

• DoomRL Wiki and Testing Ops
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Major General
  • How's it going?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2007, 20:06 »

I think AoB's suddenly gotten harder too, I've got 3 AoB wins but I hardly ever get the chainsaw any more. Once I died on level 6 with the chainsaw, too! That was just sad.

It's mainly because of
A. I'm still not exactly the best player here...
B. There are frigging humans and imps everywhere now and you never see just one.
C. The monsters seem to be attracted to the stairs now. But I guess that's just my luck.
Arch-Vile Chaos Major Thomas
[26/26/26/25/9/1]
Medals: 35/43 Specials: 69/67 Assemblies: 36/40

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2007, 11:50 »

Bugfix release, fixing the two crashbugs, and one nuisance (the after-death aiming) has been fixed.

http://doom.chaosforge.org/
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Karry

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2007, 10:15 »

By the way, is it my imagination, or the Demon HP got a little reduced in this version ?

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2007, 11:32 »

Not that I know of :)
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Rabiat

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2007, 15:40 »

Interesting update.
The balance is rescaled yet again.

That being true, I have to applaud Kornel's ability to keep developing and adjusting the game in major ways. Mostly for the better.

It does make wielding a shotgun in DoomRL a better experience than firing a Kalashnikov in GTA. ;)

Btw, now that colour blind mode is functional, I recalled your comment about not being able to distinguish light gray from dark gray in the game. At the time I had no problem with contrast. In the meantime I've upgraded my video card and I can hardly tell the difference between light gray and dark gray. Messing with contrast and brightness makes no noticeable difference. So I guess the actual colors depend on what display adapter you have.

I'm going to return mine and ask for one that properly displays text mode colors. Without the fuzzy full screen anti-aliasing. And tell them to wipe the smirks off their faces when they hand me a crumbling 512K VGA board. Dammit.
0.9.9.2 - [22/8/2/0/0] - Mancubus Scrap Metal Collector

Karry

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2007, 23:37 »

It does make wielding a shotgun in DoomRL a better experience than firing a Kalashnikov in GTA. ;)
I wouldnt say that. For example, it looks like double shotgun is now for extremely close-range and with no penetration power whatsoever. It does have some huge spread, though. Combat shotgun seems to be behaving just as before.

Malek Deneith

• Grand Inquisitor Emeritus
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2007, 05:40 »

The reason why double shotgun lacks penetrating power over long range is that it deals damage in three separate parts, causing it to apply armor reduction (as well as SoaB increase) three times as well. It still has formidable hitting power on point-blank range (as it should).

As for combat shotgun - can't say for sure, but I think it had simmilar stats as normal shotgun before - i.e. wider spread cone and crappy damage on long range.
Inquisition - saving your soul, one bolter shell at a time.
Spoiler: "Hackmaster Kills" (click to show/hide)

Karry

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2007, 06:18 »

The reason why double shotgun lacks penetrating power over long range is that it deals damage in three separate parts, causing it to apply armor reduction (as well as SoaB increase) three times as well. It still has formidable hitting power on point-blank range (as it should).
I meant a little different thing, let me explain : if i encounter 10 marines in a bunch, and fire at them with a combat shotgun - they all get hit.
But, once i had a double shotgun, and met same 10 marines in a bunch - i'll only hit the front row, all the others will not get hit at all. Not receive reduced damage, just not get hit at all.

I may be mistaken (as i so often am), but it seemed to me that in older versions double shotgun could actually penetrate just like the ordinary shotgun.

Malek Deneith

• Grand Inquisitor Emeritus
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2007, 10:08 »

It's not a matter of penetration, it's a matter of range - previously double shotgun had a longer range - probably matching other shotguns 15 squares of range. After upgrade it got cut down to just 8 squares of range - so the back row of marines must have been 9 or more squares away .
Inquisition - saving your soul, one bolter shell at a time.
Spoiler: "Hackmaster Kills" (click to show/hide)

Karry

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2007, 12:53 »

Nope, i'm telling you, five paces - and the monsters can laugh at me safely, while standing behind someone. Of course, if i actually TARGET them with no one blocking the path - THEN they get hit.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All