Chaosforge Forum

• April 18, 2024, 05:30
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: DoomRL 0.9.8.8 - Released!  (Read 42468 times)

Malek Deneith

• Grand Inquisitor Emeritus
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
Re: DoomRL 0.9.8.8 - Released!
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2007, 13:19 »

I played today a bit, found double shotgun each time and I'm fairly sure it did penetrate (tried to doublecheck even, but I'm not in the mindset at this particular moment so I died to soon). By chance were you fireing diagonal at the time this happened?
Inquisition - saving your soul, one bolter shell at a time.
Spoiler: "Hackmaster Kills" (click to show/hide)

Zeb

• Elder
  • Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2007, 07:33 »

Without the fuzzy full screen anti-aliasing.

My Laptop does this. I started playing Roguelikes on it (about 2 years ago) so for a while I thought it was just what happened when a roguelike went full screen. Then at one point about 9 months ago I ended up playing NetHack on a Desktop while my laptop was in for repairs and it was...beautiful...

Too bad you can't change the video cards in laptops. (That I know of.)

n9103

• Private FC
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2007, 19:08 »

To those complaining of desktop-level Anti-Aliasing (AA), there are global settings that can be adjusted for every video card made in the last 7+ years.
They might be a bit hidden, but they're there.
Try looking for a brand-specific control panel item (Nvidia/ATI/Intel, etc)

Additionally, you might want to change the font smoothing from ClearType to standard, and/or disable smoothing completely with the checkbox. (Properties>Appearance>Effects...)

Rabiat

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2007, 05:12 »

Quote from: Zeb
My Laptop does this. I started playing Roguelikes on it (about 2 years ago) so for a while I thought it was just what happened when a roguelike went full screen. Then at one point about 9 months ago I ended up playing NetHack on a Desktop while my laptop was in for repairs and it was...beautiful...

Too bad you can't change the video cards in laptops. (That I know of.)

Most laptops have an on-board graphics adapter, i.e. the video card is built into the main board. So unless you're planning to replace the main board you're out of luck. Also, it's going to be hard to find a main board with a different graphics adapter for a specific laptop model, and you'd void the warranty by replacing it. Anyway, I'm not seriously considering to replace my video card, and I can't imagine there is no way to change the the display options for text mode.

Quote from: n9103
To those complaining of desktop-level Anti-Aliasing (AA), there are global settings that can be adjusted for every video card made in the last 7+ years.
They might be a bit hidden, but they're there.
Try looking for a brand-specific control panel item (Nvidia/ATI/Intel, etc)

Additionally, you might want to change the font smoothing from ClearType to standard, and/or disable smoothing completely with the checkbox. (Properties>Appearance>Effects...)

I appreciate your suggestions, but I'm afraid they won't help in full screen mode. The colors look okay in a console window on the desktop (and if they don't, it's easy to adjust them). I've been poking around in my video card's control panel, but I can't find any options to adjust the display in full screen text mode. I'll dig around some more and try to come up with something that helps.
0.9.9.2 - [22/8/2/0/0] - Mancubus Scrap Metal Collector

n9103

• Private FC
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2007, 22:41 »

The desktop AA settings are usually right next to Application-specific (aka full-screen) settings.
If you find one, you should be really close to the other.

Additionally, there should be font settings for the shortcut (cause you're running the batch file to play, right?)
Perhaps one or two of the other fonts will look better for you than the default in your case.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2007, 22:43 by n9103 »

Rabiat

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2007, 04:18 »

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll check as soon as I have time for it. I'm still uncertain if we're talking about the same thing, though. In my video config panel (NVidia GeForce 8600 series) I can change the global and application-specific settings like you said. However I'm positive that application-specific settings are not the same as full screen text mode settings, and application-specific settings (to my knowledge) only apply to windowed mode. Font settings similarly apply to windowed mode; in full screen text mode there is no such thing as font.

One more thing; when booting my pc, the startup screen (text mode) has standard VGA text mode colors and no anti-aliasing. So I'm sure that the display mode I'm looking for is supported by the video card. It's just that when I open a console in Windows, and switch to full screen, colors are adjusted and display is anti-aliased. I'd be very suprised if this isn't caused by some config option in the display driver running under Windows. I'll try booting to prompt, and check if the display mode is the same as during startup.
0.9.9.2 - [22/8/2/0/0] - Mancubus Scrap Metal Collector
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All