Chaosforge Forum

• April 24, 2024, 07:25
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: AoB.. I can't do it  (Read 5454 times)

modular

• Private FC
    • View Profile
AoB.. I can't do it
« on: December 29, 2007, 00:01 »

Right.. ive tried several AoB games, ... on M mode... and i cant even get past dungeon lvl 3. I never made it to the chainsaw.

Usually I run out of medpacks, get shot down by a hotgun, get crowded, blasted by barrels, or eaten by a few yellow 's'.

I must have tried at least 15 times (I dont savescum).

I know how to press tab to run. I know how to drop ammo on the floor to lure them near the door. I know how to wait and run around for a good oportunity to kill them. Any more ideas?

Anyway i give up on AoB xD.

Silhar

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Brigadier General
  • Get psyched!
    • View Profile
Re: AoB.. I can't do it
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2007, 05:10 »

Remember - just run before you'll get to Chained Court. Don't mind yourself with killing everything, or you'll never make it through...
Use ammo to distract them. For me it works great.

Zeb

• Elder
  • Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2007, 07:21 »

Angel of Berserk has absolutely abysmal difficulty balance. Level 3 is where the challenge is at it's absolute hardest (According to Blade anyway) and the difficulty drops like a rock when you get the chainsaw- and once you get the secret weapon, it's far easier than any other scenario.

We talked about retooling it back before 0.9.8.7 came out to balance the difficult, but Kornel opted to just change the description from Hard to Medium instead. Less work that could be used for other features I guess. :-P

Anyway, don't worry about it too much, it makes sense that you're having trouble at that stage in the game.

Conker

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2007, 09:44 »

Right.. ive tried several AoB games, ... on M mode... and i cant even get past dungeon lvl 3. I never made it to the chainsaw.

Usually I run out of medpacks, get shot down by a hotgun, get crowded, blasted by barrels, or eaten by a few yellow 's'.

I know how to press tab to run. I know how to drop ammo on the floor to lure them near the door. I know how to wait and run around for a good oportunity to kill them. Any more ideas?

Sounds like you're doing most things right. You need a bit of luck, but it is quite possible to get a 100% killrate (just posted one in the Mortem recently). I wouldn't attempt Hell's Arena unless there happens to be a berserk pack right next to the entrance, and you're high on medikits. And even then, just do the first round.

Conserve your health sources wisely - each one is probably more valuable to you for the refreshal of 'Run' rather than its health. Use Running to fight pretty much anything except Former Sergeants.

As for traits, my own progression tends to go Brute, Brute, Berserk, Berserk, Berserk, Eagle Eye - then it varies, but by that point, you should be much further than level 3 :P

Good luck.

Karry

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2007, 11:16 »

Dont worry, its pretty much impossible to beat for a normal person.
However, its quite sadistic to require to beat it just to unlock Nightmare. I will NOT play AoB on Nightmare, EVER, so why the hell ?

Thomas

• DoomRL Wiki and Testing Ops
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Major General
  • How's it going?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2007, 03:26 »

As the board's melee maniac in training (Hey, Turgor could be back tomorrow for all we know) I disapprove of this post. Melee is the easiest challenge that you need to complete to unlock anything and I've beaten it 3 times.

All you need is level 5 (Brute Brute Berserk Berserk Brute) and you've already reached your maximum potential, so kill as little as possible until you get the chainsaw. When I say kill as little as possible, I mean don't kill anything that isn't standing on top of the stairs, dammit
Arch-Vile Chaos Major Thomas
[26/26/26/25/9/1]
Medals: 35/43 Specials: 69/67 Assemblies: 36/40

Karry

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2007, 05:49 »

Melee is the easiest challenge that you need to complete to unlock anything and I've beaten it 3 times.
Thats what i meant when i said normal person. Anyone who can actually BEAT the AoB - is not normal by definition.
I only got as far as level 8 maximum, thats it, thats when B's start to appear on difficulty 2.

Zeb

• Elder
  • Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2007, 06:59 »

Here's an interesting chart Blade made back in 0.9.8.5 of the difficulty level of AoB (On UV anyway), and his suggestions on making things more balanced. I think most of his suggestions still hold true in the current version, so I'm going to repost it so that people who weren't around then can discuss it/others rediscuss it.

About AoB - we have such graph of difficulty on UV

OMG          |     -----*
Really hard |   - 
Pretty hard |-         
Medium      |                              --
Pretty easy|         
Easy          |               --------**
Cakewalk   |                                    -------***
                |_______________________________
                  1 2 3 4 5  CC 6-15     UC  16-25

So imho we need to flat this graph ("*" means problems with difficlty).

* - i prefer Advanced knife at the start.))
** - i agree with Fingerzam that bonus from medikits and large globes should be removed. But this will force player to pick at least Berserk*1 to pass UC. Anyway, i don't think that it's soo bad.
***  - hmm, some nerfing of LS will do the trick.
Notes: In 0.9.8.5 there were no mods, so "advanced" weapons simply did more damage. Thus, Blade's first suggestion has for all intents and purposes been implemented in 0.9.8.8. I still think that his second two suggestions should definitely be implemented though, so that the game after receiving the chainsaw does not become ridiculously easy. It is supposed to be a challenge after all, and a difficult one at that. I would say get rid of berserking with Large items, and get rid of the armor bonus for the UC weapon. (8d8 is already so much more powerful then 4d6 that it's by far worth going after even without basically making you near-impervious to damage.)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 07:10 by Zeb »

Karry

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2008, 02:06 »

Use Running to fight pretty much anything except Former Sergeants.
Still trying to beat this impossible challenge, and...is it me, or this tip is not exactly logical ? Do you really want him to actually have MORE shots at you, since you wont be running at him ? I assume here that "running" actually increases your speed ? He'll hit you anyway, so whats the difference ?

so kill as little as possible until you get the chainsaw. When I say kill as little as possible, I mean don't kill anything that isn't standing on top of the stairs, dammit
Then this piece of advice. I seriously doubt it. It seems to me, that if you kill as little as possible - your survival chances are significantly lowered, because if you dont get Brute2 and a piece of armour before level 3 - you're pretty much dead anyway. Imp bands and even lonely demons will shred you, considering that CC can be as far as level 7 sometimes, and demons appear at level 4, i think. And to get Brute2 - you seriously have to kill a number of enemies.

Crap, out of 60 tries i only got to chainsaw twice, and even then only got as far as level 9, in previous version i finished AoB three times...those were the good days...
At least now you very rarely appear right in the middle of lost souls convention, even though it still happens much more often than i want it to (i.e. never).

007bistromath

• Backer
  • First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2008, 02:25 »

Lightweight.

Instead of naming your AoB characters, start numbering them. Restart at 1 everytime you get the chainsaw.

When you hit 50, then come and complain.

PS: I am complaining. ;_;

Karry

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2008, 03:29 »

Oh, yeah, i forgot the favorite enemy "shoot-him-with-the-always-hit-shotgun-the-very-moment-he-opens-that-door" trick. This is seriously annoying...you just cant open the door and get a look inside, you get shot the very moment you open it. Naturally, there always will be between two and ninety barrels right beside you...

Enemies MUST give you at least one turn after opening doors, otherwise it really feels like a cheap disadvantage to you. I mean, come on, i swear they couldnt see me through that door, do they shoot in my general direction ?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 03:31 by Karry »

Conker

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2008, 11:23 »

Use Running to fight pretty much anything except Former Sergeants.
Still trying to beat this impossible challenge, and...is it me, or this tip is not exactly logical ? Do you really want him to actually have MORE shots at you, since you wont be running at him ? I assume here that "running" actually increases your speed ? He'll hit you anyway, so whats the difference ?

Obviously, if you have a surplus of sources of 'running' (i.e., one enemy is left on the level, there are four health globes, and you're at full health), then it's better to run than not to run. But in general, running serves better against enemies that can miss, as when you run, they often will. Combat versus demons and imps particularly benefits from this tactic.

As for sergeants, go to the edge of their vision-field. Drop some ammo. Move a few squares away. Drop more ammo. Repeat until they're at a door or a corner or some other place where you can 'ambush' them and beat them to death without getting a shotgun in the face.

I can't say whether my advice is logical or not, but it works for me.

And I do agree with you about the 'ignore potential kills' advice - bad move, in my opinion. You don't necessarily have to aim for 100%, but it is attainable.

Rola

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2008, 04:16 »

I'm experiencing a similar problem now with 0.9.8.9. Back in 0.9.8.8 I could go as far as lv12 on Medium, but now I can't get to Chained Court, even though I'm running, trying different strategies or starting traits...
« Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 04:18 by Rola »
Pages: [1]