Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 06:03
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Linux + DoomRL 0.9.8.8B  (Read 6055 times)

renecane

• Private FC
    • View Profile
Linux + DoomRL 0.9.8.8B
« on: December 29, 2007, 05:30 »

I downloaded linux binaries and tried to play the game.
cd <my-doomrl-folder>
./doomrl
./doomrl: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/liblua5.1.so.0: undefined symbol: pow

i installed lua with pacman -S lua, and looks like iam still missing something?
could someone help me ?
my distro is arch linux
« Last Edit: December 29, 2007, 05:35 by renecane »
My cause is just... my will is strong... and my gun is very, very large.

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
Re: Linux + DoomRL 0.9.8.8B
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2007, 06:09 »

*sigh*

Linux problems, linux problems, linux problems... I know someone solved this one, but I don't know how. Anyway, I plan on static-compiling Lua into the executable in version 0.9.9 -- I discovered that Lua is under the MIT license, so there are no problems with that -- and it'll save a lot of pain for the linux users :).
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Carpetsmoker

• Private FC
  • Nexus-6
    • View Profile
    • DaemonForums
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 04:45 »

Some random thoughts/things:

- You ARE using a x86/IA32 version of archlinux (amd64, ppc, etc will NOT work)

- Does lua work at all? Try:
Code: [Select]
$ lua
> = 'Hello world'

- Try deinstalling and reinstalling lua

- Did you try installing lua with ABS?

- Make sure all your packages are up to date, and your OS (ie. Archlinux) is too.

- Maybe you mixed "pacman packages" with "ABS packages"? I never used Archlinux, but this is a bad thing to do on FreeBSD and causes all sorts of weird errors ...

- Other applications run fine?

Aerton

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 07:17 »

- You ARE using a x86/IA32 version of archlinux (amd64, ppc, etc will NOT work)
otherwise, he wouldn't have got this far.
- Does lua work at all? Try:
Lua 5 doesn't provide a shared library by default anymore.
Linux problems, linux problems, linux problems...
Give us a DOS version to run under an emulator.

As Kornel said, lua problems shall be gone with the next version. Now if we could only get a 64-bit build as well...

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2008, 13:42 »

The DOS version even if I managed to build it with Lua wouldn't have music/sounds.
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Cyber Killer

• Elder
  • Sergeant
  • cyberpunk
    • View Profile
    • CK's site
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2008, 12:20 »

you don't need to install lua, but liblua (under kubuntu I got a package liblua5.1-0) and the game works

what I didn't manage to get working is the sound, I'm confused cause in AliensRL the sound works great (vorbis rox!). I searched through the forums and found sth about timidity (http://forum.chaosforge.org/index.php?topic=495.0), but it didn't help. Can anyone tell me what is the game using to play sounds so I can install it onto my system? (os: kubuntu 7.10, soundcard: SBLive)

@Kornel Kisielewicz:
please don't statically link lua into the game. dynamic linking has a great lot of advantages, to name the most obvious binary size and memory saving when there are more apps running using the same lib.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 12:23 by Cyber Killer »

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2008, 14:34 »

Lua has the advantage of having a really small footprint both in memory and binary size, so that's not an issue. However it has the disadvantage of having different library naming scheme under every Linux distro that I saw, so it's a lot safer to statically bind Lua :P.
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Cyber Killer

• Elder
  • Sergeant
  • cyberpunk
    • View Profile
    • CK's site
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2008, 02:24 »

an easy way around this is to create binary packages for a couple of popular distros (like ubuntu, debian, etc) :-)

anyway, is there any solution to the sound problem I mentioned?

Carpetsmoker

• Private FC
  • Nexus-6
    • View Profile
    • DaemonForums
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2008, 02:48 »

@Kornel Kisielewicz:
please don't statically link lua into the game. dynamic linking has a great lot of advantages, to name the most obvious binary size and memory saving when there are more apps running using the same lib.

Actually, dynamic linking (Or rather the lack thereof) is one of the few things windows has always done better then UNIX and UNIX-like OS's.
Dynamic linking saves a bit of diskspace and *might* make certain programs slightly faster ... But in a world of 500GB hardisks and quad-cores it's not that important anymore (And hasn't been for 15 years), and only offers a *very slight* advantage in *certain* situations

Static linking on the other hand has the obvious and *HUGE* advantage that the programs will almost always run on any system.
Also remember that libraries change over time and may become incompatible with previous versions, if the application if open-source then it can be modifed by anyone ... But with a closed-source app such as DoomRL this is impossible, and may lead to problems in the future if the program will become unmaintained.

And another reason why shared libs aren't that great is because it can be a pain to update.
Remember the gettext update of a year ago? I (And thousand like me) had to reinstall almost all 3d party applications because it was incompatible with the previous version...
I don't even use gettext, and always turn it off explicitly when compiling, but GNU configure seems to link binaries against gettext anyway if it's present (Thank you Mr. GNU, grrr)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 03:02 by Carpetsmoker »

Cyber Killer

• Elder
  • Sergeant
  • cyberpunk
    • View Profile
    • CK's site
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2008, 04:11 »

well... if e.g., all gtk+ and qt apps would be staticly linked I don't think that even 4 gigs of ram would be enough to just run KDE or GNOME ;-). and windows uses dynamic linking - think about directx or wmp or ie ;-P (or m$ visual c libs). the point is - win apps usually come with the required libs, so that the user doesn't need to worry if he has them intalled.

anyway, what Kornel will do is up to him, but at least I would be happy if the dynamic linked binary would be still available in the future.

(still no luck trying to get the sound working ;-P )

Carpetsmoker

• Private FC
  • Nexus-6
    • View Profile
    • DaemonForums
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2008, 05:03 »

well, 4GB RAM doesn't seem to be enough to run either KDE or GNOME as it is ...
Anyway .. What I was trying to point out was that dynamic linking isn't the best solution in all situations, especially not with closed-source applications.
Both static and dynamic linking have advantages and disadvantages ... And you can always statically link one library and load others dynamically
I would personally prefer to see some more static linking "out there", you can still load big libraries dynamically (Such as QT, Boost, etc).

Cyber Killer

• Elder
  • Sergeant
  • cyberpunk
    • View Profile
    • CK's site
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2008, 03:06 »

ok, let's stop this pointless discussion ;-) the best solution would be if there would be two linux versins - dynamically and statically linked
Pages: [1]