Chaosforge Forum

• March 29, 2024, 04:15
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Request for Ideas : Unique Items  (Read 30933 times)

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
Request for Ideas : Unique Items
« on: December 29, 2007, 06:05 »

I decided to implement Unique Items into the game -- these would be very rare, found in the main "dungeon" and only one of each could appear each game. Now I need to think some up, and I wait for your suggestions :). There was already a topic for that here, but I somehow didn't like the ideas.

Items qualifing for uniques -- weapons (except for the chainsaw, bfg9000, LS which are to be found only in special places anyway), armor (except of course AA), and boots. Implementing special ammo would be a PITA interface-wise, and other items have a too short lifespan :P.

Another question is how to "describe" the item, that is how should it look like -- 'double shotgun "Boomstick"' ? And what color?
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Getix

• Corporal
  • Always forgive, never forget.
    • View Profile
    • Getix's Blog
Re: Request for Ideas : Unique Items
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2007, 08:49 »

The Double Shotgun of El Diablo

This shotgun was used by one of your fellow marine, known as "El Diablo" for his lust for blood. More than 400 demons have been killed by this gun, both in melee or in firefights.
The weapon is perfectly balanced, smooth while functioning and nearly impossible to jam (El Diablo made some mod on this weapon to make it better suited for Demon Slaying).

Basic item: Double Shotgun
Double damage Vs lower level demons (imp, demon, formers)
Standard damage against all other enemies
Double Melee damage against all enemies

Speed: fast (maybe like 1 speed mod?)
Magazine increased: 6 (so 3 shot before reloading)

Do mean something like this? This is just a random idea..
http://getix.wordpress.com
Personal, Trance & Roguelike blog.

RickVoid

• Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2007, 08:59 »

Here's a list of items available for Uniquing (it's a word now, so there).

Weapons:
Knife
Pistol
Shotgun
Combat Shotgun
Double Shotgun
Chaingun
Plasma Rifle
Rocket Launcher

Armor
Boots

My submissions? From the Space Marine Surplus Store:
Bolt Pistol (Pistol): Increased Damage, Speed. Slower reload. Small explosion radius. (Bolt weapons in Warhammer 40K fire explosive bolts) Uses 10mm ammo.
Storm Bolter (Chaingun): Same as above, but fires as chaingun. XD
Adeptus Astartes Mark IV Power Armor: 4 damage reduction, but increased HP (longer time before it gets destroyed) and faster movement speed.

For the bolt gun explosion radius, I recommend the following size:
Code: [Select]
.***.
.***.
.***.

Oh, and make these unique items green. I don't think we have any green items. :)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2007, 09:08 by RickVoid »
Campbell: Snake, press the action button.
Snake: ... What?
Campbell: The action button, on the control pad.
Snake: What!?

DaEezT

• Greater Elder
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2007, 10:06 »

How about a unique pistol duo for all those AoMr lovers out there? :D
Ebony and Ivory from Devil May Cry comes to mind. Give them increased knockback and a bit more damage and speed. Or, if you want to add special ability, I'd go with something that sort of stuns or delays the target you are shooting. Only works as a pair ;)

For the knife I'd go with a Butter Knife that turns into a Silver Knife once it was used often enough.

The Double Shotgun has to become either the "El Mariachi" or the "Boomstick". Everything else would be blasphemy ;D Not sure about the bonuses though.
"Morality is merely a convention with which men mutually agree to delude themselves. There are no moral facts, just preferences, and one is no better than any other."

RickVoid

• Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2007, 10:15 »

The Spork! (Knife): It's a Spoon! No, it's a Fork! No, it's a Foon... what? Does less damage than the knife, but enemies become friendly toward you... kind of. They start laughing at you.

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2007, 10:24 »

Somehow it doesn't seem right for me to add silly uniques :/. I don't wan't DoomRL to turn into another "Let's add everything and Barney, the Dinosaur and Santa Clause too"-kind of roguelike -_-.
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Conker

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2007, 10:38 »

Oh, and make these unique items green. I don't think we have any green items. :)

Except for Green Armour?

Suggestion for format of names: 'Boomstick' Shotgun
Colour of items: Bright red (same red as visible Special Level stairs) on map - in inventory, make them green.

Uniques should not be moddable, by the way.

I'll include vague descriptions if you want to include some kind of artifacts.txt similar to the Angband one (descriptions are given that give the player clues to the powers of the artifacts they can find).

I've reformatted this to make it more readable, and I've also utilised a couple of DaEezt's ideas because I thought they were neat. Hopefully you won't mind, DaEezt.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Gravity Boots
'You know the boys in R&D were working on some fancy footwear... You only got one look, but those boots seemed strong. And HEAVY.'

Prevent all damage from walking in corrosive materials (acid, lava)
Reduce knockback to 0
Lower movement speed by -10%
Increase melee damage +1 (More traction - more force in your swing)
HP (of the item) doesn't degrade - the same applies for all other uniques below, unless otherwise stated.

Jet Boots
'Dave had to be joking when he told you about boots with rockets in the heel, right? Sure, you'd be fast, but you'd go flying at the slightest knock!'

Increase knockback by 4 (Make it much likelier to get knocked back, and to get knocked back further).
Increase movement speed by 50%
Same protection as steel boots.

Occultist's Robe
'The robes those Arch-Vile things seem to wear look pretty nifty. If you could just get hold of an undamaged one - but they seem to all get shredded...'

Adds a small (3*3) explosion to any attack you make.
+10 Max (and current) HP
+10% Movement speed, Firing Speed
Protection of Green Armour
Become damaged at the same rate as normal green armour, can't be repaired.

Golden Plate Mail
'Was that Hell Knight wearing armour made of GOLD? I guess even in Hell they can be tacky. Damn... So much light got in your eyes you could barely hit the thing.'

Decreases monster 'to-hit' chance by 30%
-50% Movement Speed.
Protection of Green Armour (Gold's very malleable).
Becomes damaged, but slowly, can't be repaired.

'The Stiehl' Combat Knife
'A knife that can cut through anything would be useful in combat, sure, but you're not sure you'd like to shave with it.'

Damage 3d4
Ignores any armour reduction of the target

'Thor's Hammer' Combat Knife (Yeah, I know...)
'I am... Mighty Thor! But this hammer is still REALLY heavy'

Damage 9d9
Constant Berserk ?
Penalty of -50% speed to all actions just for CARRYING the knife (not equipping it).
+20 HP when it's equipped.
-10% (of your) to-hit chance

'Riot Gun' Combat Shotgun
'Who brings a riot gun to space!? Whoever it is, you owe them one hell of a thank-you. Now you just have to work out how to load the damn thing...'

Holds 10 rounds
Does double the normal shotgun damage
Fires 50% quicker than a normal shotgun.
Doesn't need to be 'pumped' between shots.
+200% (Basically, LONG) reload time of normal full reload for combat shotgun

'Saturday Night Special' Pistol
'There's something about this little pistol that makes you feel... safe.'

+2 Armour
Normal damage
Clipsize of 9
Barrels won't blow up while equipped  <-- (New Addition)
Medkits/healing effect doubled when equipped

'Rotivator' Chaingun
'The speed at which the barrels rotate... It's almost hypnotic... So fast...'

Increase movement speed and firing speed by 30%
Decrease to-hit chance by 25%
Automatically gives you 2 levels of Trigger Happy, even if you didn't already have it (if you did, perhaps it gives you two more? So you fire 13 shots?'

'Solar-Powered' Plasma-Rifle
'Not just eco-friendly, but useful!'

Can be reloaded (just once per level ? Or would that make it too weak?) without using power cells.
Damage is only 1d1 (With TH 2 + SoB 3, that's still 44 damage per round, assuming every one hits).
-10% Hit chance

'The Cursed' Chaingun
'You drop the chaingun on the altar. The chaingun glows black.'

2d4 damage x 5
Firing speed + 20%
If you shoot at something and kill it, there's a 50% chance any remaining shots will be redirected to the nearest enemy (it thirsts for blood).
If equipped, you can't leave a level without killing everything on it (We might need a workaround for special levels, as some idiots will inevitably go 'Oh no I accidentally entered The Halls of Carnage with it equipped now I can't get through the walls boo hoo I'm going to sue Kornel').
Once equipped, cannot be removed.

'Boomstick' Double Shotgun
'Listen up, you primitives. This is my BOOMstick.'

Magazine size of 4 (Can be fired twice before reloading).
Damage of 6d3*5.
+10% Firing Speed.
-20% Reload Speed.
Can only be equipped if you're holding the chainsaw in your prepared weapon slot (So people will have to use an inventory space holding the chainsaw if they want the chance to use this), otherwise it gives the message 'You feel like you're missing something'.
10% Chance on killing something to regain 1 HP (Need to stop this from working with resurrected monsters).
0.1% Chance to go berserk every turn (the berserk disappears if you remove the shotgun, so no 'scumming' with it).
-1 health every 200 turns (and on equip/unequip, again, to prevent scumming).

'Demonic' Pistol  - Only starts appearing in games after you've killed 666 enemies (total Doom career, not just 'that game').

2d5 Damage
-10% Firing time
-20% Reload speed
-5 health on Equip

Kill 66 enemies with it, though, and
'You feel yourself bonding... Fusing with your pistol! You understand it much better now.'

'Demon's Claw' Pistol

3d5 Damage
+10% Firing Speed
+10% Reload Speed
Fires fireballs, similar to an imp.
-10 Max HP

'Longbolt Rifle' Shotgun
'When all Hell's staring down the barrel of your gun, you better hope it's staring from far away.'

1 Shell capacity
6d3 Damage
'Projects' its blast to the targeted area. E.g, no need for a monster to be right in front of you, you can fire from 'point blank range' from right across the screen.
+2 Ranks of Cateye when equipped
-20% Firing Speed

A couple of 'Dual-Wield' weapons now, as I liked the concept (credit to DaEezt)

The following pistols only spawn on Ultra-Violent or Nightmare

'Indra's Arrow' Pistol
'The Fire of Heaven that destroyed Sodom and Gamorrah in the Old Testament. The Ramanayah referred to it as "Indra's Arrow." The entire world will once again kneel before the power... This ancient weapon quickly snuffs out artificial abominations of life'

2d7 Damage
Aggravation (Monsters everywhere on the level know where you are, and start coming for you. Quickly).
+20% Fire Speed
Double damage versus Artifical creatures - Arachnotron, Cyber Demon, Spider Mastermind (if it ever goes in).

'Fire of Heaven' Pistol
'The fire of Heaven that destroyed Sodom and Gamorrah in the Old Testament. The Ramanayah referred to it as "Indra's Arrow." The entire world will once again kneel before the power... This ancient weapon burns with holy fire, potent against demonkind.'

2d7 Damage
Aggravation (Monsters everywhere on the level know where you are, and start coming for you. Quickly).
Fires fireballs, similar to an imp (but the player is immune to radius damage, unlike the other examples. 'Holy fire').
Double damage versus Demon creatures - Demons, Cacodemons, Hell Knights/Barons of Hell

If both are wielded:

'Your pistols glow in a silvery light...'

And you're now dual-wielding

'Light of Judgement' Pistol

4d4 Damage
Aggravation
+20% Firing Speed
+30% Reload Speed
+10 HP
+2 Armour
10 Magazine Capacity
Fires Fireball (same as 'Fire of Heaven')
5% Chance of an 'Angel of Death' being generated on the level, coming to reclaim your weapon (Obviously, you have to kill him).

^ Those effects are 'total' - You don't get +10 HP each pistol, just overall.

'Arm of the Mancubus' Rocket Launcher
'This severed Mancubus arm still has its weapon attached. It makes you feel strong... Durable... Like a Mancubus. Imagine what two would do...'

7d7 Damage
2 Rocket Capacity
-20% Movement Speed
-40% Reload Speed
+1 Armour
+5 HP

(Can be found TWICE - if this happens, and player equips the other one in his prepared slot, the following occurs)

'You feel yourself becoming corrupted with demonic energy... You transform!'

Player becomes a Mancubus.

+50 HP
-60% Movement Speed
+4 Armour
+40% Firing speed
The Arms change from 2 rocket capacity to 3 rocket capacity (You're only firing the 'main weapon', but it reflects not having to reload while you can 'alternate').
Mancubi don't attack you unless you attack them first
Can't remove the Arms

Only problem with this is that I imagine we'd run out of rocket launcher ammunition. Perhaps make Mancubi drop rockets when killed?

A few 'item' uniques now, mainly just for fun, but they might be useful

'Little Boy' Thermonuclear device
'You can't decide whether it's a really big grenade or a really small nuke. Either way, run like hell!'

Countdown of seven turns - has a radius of the following
****.****

Destroys anything (including walls, monsters, items, and the player) caught in the radius. Could be useful without being overpowering if you can only find it once per game (and rarely that often). Even for something like JC, I wouldn't want to risk getting close enough to use it on him, and then getting out of there, without getting caught in the blast because I paused to use med-kits.

'Adrenaline Pump' Large Medikit
'Warning: Not for use by the weak and infirm.'

Rather than healing you, this makes you berserk. Inflicts 5 damage on use.

'Improved' Phase Device
'When the only way out is through, sometimes that's the best place to go.'

As a normal phase device, but always teleports you to the stairs (normal, not special level). If something is on those stairs, it gets fragged.
That's all for now. They're just rough ideas, feel free to tinker with them.

Also, what about unique monsters? Not to the extent of Barney and Santa Clause, but say, something in-theme that has a chance to appear - and will be difficult to defeat, but has an improved chance of dropping a unique item. If that's approved of, I don't mind putting together some profiles for unique monsters, I already have a few good ideas.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2007, 17:09 by Conker »

RickVoid

• Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2007, 10:49 »

Yeah, my 40k stuff would be fun, but you sir, win the internet. :)

Seriously, I love those.

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2007, 11:10 »

Conker, I love your ideas! Some of the names should be made more serious, but I really like the "ups and downs" approach. If you have more, please post!
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

RickVoid

• Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2007, 11:19 »

Jet Boots:
'Dave had to be joking when he told you about boots with rockets in the heel, right? Sure, you'd be fast, but you'd go flying at the slightest knock!'

Increase knockback by 4 (Make it much likelier to get knocked back, and to get knocked back further).

Where have I heard this before... OH YEAH!

Hoverboots. You float six inches above the ground. You cannot be harmed by acid or lava.
However, since you can't brace yourself, your knockback skyrockets. Even a pistol shot will send you careeming into a wall. It'd be frigging hilarious. XD
http://forum.chaosforge.org/index.php?topic=1169.0

:)

Conker

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2007, 11:41 »

Posted three more ideas, formatted it a bit.

Jet Boots:

Where have I heard this before... OH YEAH!

Hoverboots. You float six inches above the ground. You cannot be harmed by acid or lava.
However, since you can't brace yourself, your knockback skyrockets. Even a pistol shot will send you careeming into a wall. It'd be frigging hilarious. XD
http://forum.chaosforge.org/index.php?topic=1169.0

:)

Haha, sorry, didn't mean to steal, it was somewhat unconscious (mainly as an 'opposite' to the other boots I did, really). I did like that idea, but it needs some kind of more rounded benefit (e.g. the movement speed) to be useful, I think. Plus mine don't protect from Acid/Lava particularly well - that's what the Gravity boots are for :P

RickVoid

• Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2007, 11:59 »

I wasn't implying that you stole it, I'm quite pleased that somebody else has suggested a similar idea. :)

I'm not an ogre. Really. XD

007bistromath

• Backer
  • First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2007, 12:01 »

Minor nitpick: since when do Arch-Viles wear robes? One of the main features of that enemy since forever is that when they set you on fire, you can see their junk.

Other than that, I haven't looked at the whole thing, but it all looks cool so far.

Edit: more nitpicking. A Saturday Night Special is a revolver. Those don't have nine shots. -_-

Edit again: I'd solve the Mancubus ammo problem by making those things a plasma rifle variant. More appropriate anyway, when you think about it. Have each fireball take (errrrm) four cells.

Of course, that means there's no unique rocket launcher now. That's easy enough to fix: fly-by-wire! Let's all watch Kornel cry blood trying code that. ;)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2007, 12:17 by 007bistromath »

maso

• Elder
  • Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2008, 11:33 »

Necroarmor 4/4
'The demonic flesh twists and pulsates. It's stench is unbearable. Only an Archvile could of made something so foul.'
Armor durability slowly regenerates but at the expense of the player's health whilst worn.
Can't be repaired with shards.

Powerarmor 4/4
'It hums with energy. It seems to form a barely visible protective shield whilst worn'.
Use power cells to repair it.
Can't be repaired with shards.

Powerboots
See above

The Mastermind's Chaingun
'Your have heard of this mighty arachnotron armed a with chaingun. The weapon has extra barrels and great mass of wires leads off the body of the chaingun.'
1d8 * 10
Ammo capacity 100
movement -20%

Zeb

• Elder
  • Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2008, 15:59 »

My Ideas:

Maniac's Axe (Chainsaw): 5d6, and every time it hits it has an 8% chance of making the character go berserk.

Untitled (Chaingun): (1d6)*6, ammo capacity 60. Has the ability to be overloaded to spray all 60 bullets at once, however this causes the gun to overheat and not be usable until the player decends two flights of stairs.

Untitled (Double Shotgun) Each shell fired has a 25% of causing one additional square of knockback.

Unmaker (Plasma rifle) Fires 10 bolts per stream (debatable). Ammo capacity is 80. The number of sides on the dice is dependant on the player's health, ranging from d2 if the player is at 100% or better to d12 if the player has less then 10% health. (90-99 would be d3, 80-89 would be d4, etc.)

Golden Gun (pistol): Each bullet has a 25% chance of doing double damage.

Revenant's Flamethrower (Rocket Launcher): Rockets fired from this have 100% accuracy. Alternately, will loop around in a wide arc the next turn to attack again if they miss, but that would be harder to code I imagine.

Hell Boots (Boots): Cannot be damaged and make the user impervious to damage from acid/lava. Knockback resistance is the same at the 8/8 boots.

Eternal Armor (Armor): [3|0], Does not take any damage.

Cloak of Partial Invisibility (Armor): Confers no damage resistance. all attacks have an additional 20% chance of missing if the player is standing in one place, and a 40% chance of missing if the player is moving.

Boots of the Messenger: [4|4] and confers one level of hellrunner. (Even if player already has 3 levels)

Staff of Teleportation (item): stays in inentory like an item. When "used" will teleport player as with the phase device. Using will make the player tired. Cannot be used when tired. Optionally, could disinigrate after certain number of uses if it seems too abusable.

Hell Bomb (item): When used, will immediately destroy everything in the level as with the thermonuclear device, but will not harm the player. Cannot be used on levels 25 and 26.

Holy Hand Grenade (item): has the same blast radius as a rocket, but cannot be thrown as far. Does 999 piercing damage to everything in it's blast radius. Can be used against bosses.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 05:01 by Zeb »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5