Chaosforge Forum

• April 19, 2024, 16:56
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Request for Ideas : Unique Items  (Read 31188 times)

Malek Deneith

• Grand Inquisitor Emeritus
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
Re: Request for Ideas : Unique Items
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2008, 16:16 »

Untitled (Chaingun): 6d6
I suspect you meant (1d6)x6, right?

Untitled (Double Shotgun) Each shell fired has a 25% of causing one additional square of knockback.
Considering that shotguns weaker with distance this would sadly be conuter-productive :(
Inquisition - saving your soul, one bolter shell at a time.
Spoiler: "Hackmaster Kills" (click to show/hide)

Zeb

• Elder
  • Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2008, 05:03 »

Untitled (Chaingun): 6d6
I suspect you meant (1d6)x6, right?

Whoops, good catch.

Untitled (Double Shotgun) Each shell fired has a 25% of causing one additional square of knockback.
Considering that shotguns weaker with distance this would sadly be conuter-productive :(
I didn't think about that...does knockback still cause additional damage just by happening? Oh well.

007bistromath

• Backer
  • First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2008, 13:57 »

Eh. I don't really like most of those. "Powerful" and "interesting" aren't synonyms. I think that unique items should only be added to the game if they are somehow interesting.

I can dig the Staff, though. The idea of equipment that confers perks could also be of use.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 13:59 by 007bistromath »

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2008, 13:03 »

We really need an idea for some unique shotguns (at least two!)
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2008, 13:08 »

P.S.1 Many of the suggestions would be very hard to implement without many ugly special cases in the code, so I had to drop them :/.

P.S.2 Zeb, Conker, maso -- some of your proposals made it into the item list, although not un-changed. Thanks, guys! And keep them coming if you have any more ideas :D
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

007bistromath

• Backer
  • First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2008, 14:10 »

Quadgun: 6d3x6. This thing is huge and ridiculous. You don't even know how it works, you just keep shoving shells into it and things keep dying. Every time you fire it, you get knocked back three paces and take damage if you hit a wall.

Nastygun: (6d3x2)-1. 5 round magazine. Is it... alive? Where did all the blood on the floor go? Cannot be reloaded; gains one shell automatically everytime you kill something. If you fire all five without killing anything, it gets sick and dies.

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2008, 14:32 »

Actually, a weapon reloaded with corpses sounds cool :P.
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

007bistromath

• Backer
  • First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2008, 14:43 »

That was my original idea, but I didn't want to make it a thing you'd feel pressured to literally do, since I don't know how hard it is to make corpses an item you can do something with.

Chamber

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2008, 17:44 »

Shotguns have character, so here are some ideas for unique shotguns.  Enjoy.

Serious ideas:

Furious Blast - combat shotgun.

Shells fired from Furious Blast explode.  Small radius, but several explosions per round would ensue.  It could be used to blow up walls and doors, and of course pulverise enemies.

Igniter - double barrelled shotgun.

This shotgun is so powerful that the gunpowder explosion within the shells that issue from it produces a cone of fire from the barrels, burning any creature that is one square from the player in the direction it is shot, rendering upon them damage roughly comparable with an Arch-Vile's attack.

Skull Flayer - shotgun.

This shotgun fires a single projectile, rather than many.  But what it lacks in quantity it makes up for in raw damage that isn't reduced by distance, rotating and expanding upon impact to tear through flesh and leave the enemy broken.  The shot will go through several enemies, coming to a halt only upon hitting a wall or door.

Speculation:

Beckoner - double barrelled shotgun.

This acts like a normal shotgun, unless you 'R'eload it.  Then it uses its Harpoon attachment, which uses 2 shells to blast a barbed harpoon at a single enemy, sticking into its flesh and pulling it, kicking and screaming, a few squares closes to the player with a chain.

The harpoon attachment is mounted in one of the barrels, and the chain it trails is welded to the gun with a hydraulic winch.  Depending on the size of the enemy and the player level, the gun may be whisked out of the player's hands rather than pull the monster.

Impaler - shotgun.

This brutal shotgun carries a long pointed blade above its barrel, which can be used to make melee attacks.  Once a melee attack has been successful, and the enemy impaled upon the spike, the player can fire the shotgun, which, at such close range, will do terrible damage, such that it overcomes armour, cannot miss, and fires all its projectiles into that one unlucky monster.  If either the player or the enemy moves, the Impaler will come loose from the beast and another melee attack will be required.

Collector Deluxe - shotgun

This is not so much a shotgun as it is a device unto which shotguns can be attached.  There are mounts for up to seven guns to be inserted, be they shotguns, combat shotguns, or double barrelled shotguns.  Each gun needs to be loaded seperately (with the R button), similarly to the combat shotgun's partial reload.  Once all the shotguns are set and loaded, the wielder must turn a crank handle until the mechanism clicks into place.  That done, a pull of the device's trigger will fire off all the attached guns at once, causing all manner of havoc.

007bistromath

• Backer
  • First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2008, 18:42 »

...Y'know, I've never actually played Painkiller, but for some reason those remind me of it.

Malek Deneith

• Grand Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2008, 18:51 »

Furious Blast - mixed feelings about that one... could be nice, could be annoying, could be broken.
Igniter - That one looks nice... interesting ability, while not too broken at the same time.
Skull Flayer - my first thought was "but it's not shotgunny without spread", but on afterthought this might be a good idea.
Beckoner - ehh... seems a bit to bizzare.
Impaler - one word: Groovy!
Collector Deluxe - as much as I like the hillarity factor, this one is probably too much.

...Y'know, I've never actually played Painkiller, but for some reason those remind me of it.
Now that you mentioned it... yeah those ideas do have Painkiller-like feel...

RickVoid

• Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2008, 18:45 »

Well, we have unique items now. Not that I'd know, since I'm having my typical RNG luck (see also: None.). Not even the doomprayer is helping... perhaps I offended the RNG in some way, and my piety has dropped below fervent and I've lost the RNG's favor.

Hmm... guess I'll have to start offering sacrifices... where'd karry go...
Campbell: Snake, press the action button.
Snake: ... What?
Campbell: The action button, on the control pad.
Snake: What!?

Malek Deneith

• Grand Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2008, 04:44 »

Okaaaay, some ideas from me... starting with Painkiller references ;P

(no idea for name)
Class: Double Shotgun
Special: Alternate fire with "freezing effect" instead of damage. The spread should be thinner (as shotgun perpahs), the range limit the same and the duration of freeze should detoriate with range. Perhaps tires out after shot to prevent overusing?

Painkiller
Class: Melee Wea..

Okay so that one might not have been the brightest idea, moving away from painkiller.

Plasma Shotgun
Class: Combat Shotgun or Double Shotgun (preferably the later)
Special: Fires "plasma pellets" instead of normal pellets - those are spread in normal con, but should be visible not "hitscan" like normal shotgun blast... either one "wave" of strong pellets or 2-3 of weaker ones. Should not penatrate unless they kill the monster. Works on cells. Yeah I know, this is not straightforword to do :P

Kalin Ann (anyone 'cept DaEezT caught the reference? :P)
Class: Rocket Launcher
Special: Rocket Launcher for more close-quarters fighting. Smaller blast, maby lower accuracy, but doubles as melee weapon (somwehere between knife and chainsaw I'd say), and  - if it would not be broken - should have grappling hook, as proposed in one of shotgun ideas before. Don't even get me started on "Hysterics"... that would be totally broken.

"Fireworks"
Class: Double Shotgun
Special: Can be "overloaded" with 8 shells - if done so next shot will fire a blast in each of four cardinal directions. Tires out the user afterwards?

Pancor Jackhammer
Class: Combat Shotgun
Special: 12-15 shells in a mag fires in 3-shot bursts.

Hey I know! We should introduce Walter's Dental Floss of Death as a tribute to Hellsing too! Now would it be ranged or melee weapon, hmmm.... ;)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think I had more ideas, but managed to forgot them. Also a little pool for the people - somewhere during the weekend I'll probably start updating the wiki pages - should I include spoilers page with detailed uniqes stats or should there only be page with general info on what they are?

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2008, 04:56 »

One thing is for sure -- do not start to include Unique info until some reasonable time after the unique release.
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Potman

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2008, 04:21 »

Oi, unique mods! Can't be used on unique items (obviously), and the item they're used to will lose any mods it had before, and can't be modded any more. Some ideas:

Auto-Load mod - When your weapon goes empty it'll reload itself.

Incendiary mod - Only goes to (advanced) rocket launcher. When the rocket blows up, it leaves behind a lava pool everywhere to its destruction range. The lava will be around for several turns, and you will receive EXP out of all monsters dying in it.

Blind mod - Aim to the eyes! Whenever an enemy is hit, it has 50% chance of going blind, resulting in a vision and accuracy loss (kinda like negative Eagle Eye and Cateye). Cacodemons and pain elementals have 100% chance of losing their sight. In any case, using a medikit will restore vision.

Barrier mod - Adds damage threshold to armor: For instance, when used on red armor, all damage that's less than 4 will be stopped compeletely and won't deal any damage. Compatible with TaN.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5