Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 05:04
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Request for Ideas : Unique Items  (Read 30918 times)

Conker

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Request for Ideas : Unique Items
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2008, 20:15 »

Oi, unique mods! Can't be used on unique items (obviously), and the item they're used to will lose any mods it had before, and can't be modded any more. Some ideas:

Auto-Load mod - When your weapon goes empty it'll reload itself.

Incendiary mod - Only goes to (advanced) rocket launcher. When the rocket blows up, it leaves behind a lava pool everywhere to its destruction range. The lava will be around for several turns, and you will receive EXP out of all monsters dying in it.

Blind mod - Aim to the eyes! Whenever an enemy is hit, it has 50% chance of going blind, resulting in a vision and accuracy loss (kinda like negative Eagle Eye and Cateye). Cacodemons and pain elementals have 100% chance of losing their sight. In any case, using a medikit will restore vision.

Barrier mod - Adds damage threshold to armor: For instance, when used on red armor, all damage that's less than 4 will be stopped compeletely and won't deal any damage. Compatible with TaN.

Incendiary mod and Blind mod (particularly the former) sound like too much coding for it to be likely implemented, though that's just my initial uneducated reaction.

Barrier Mod sounds overpowered (TaN 3 + Red Armour (I'll assume AA counts as a unique here), that means monsters have to do at least 7 damage to hurt you. No more former foos on the edge of the screen chipping away at your health, no more quandries of 'Do I melee that arachnotron with my last 16% health and hope it doesn't do enough damage to kill me, or do I stand here and hope it'll spend the turn walking toward me instead of firing'). Maybe if it wasn't compatible with TaN.

As for Auto-Load... Do you mean it instantaneously reloads itself? Or, it'll take as much time as it normally would, only you won't have to hit the 'r' key? If the latter, it sounds a bit pointless. If the former, it sounds overpowered. Imagine it with a rocket launcher and a good supply of rockets. Even with pistols I can see it having drastic consequences.

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2008, 02:23 »

Well the problem is that unique or not, with the current system they'd be counted as another mod class anyway :/
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Jorge Alonso

• DoomRL Testing Ops
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Cell-gun
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2008, 09:00 »

Cell-gun: It's like a plasma gun, but when R-eloaded, its next shoot will be like a BFG shoot. (So you get a plasma gun, that also works like a BFG with only one shoot; but if you R-eload and don't shoot, you know that when you need to use it like a plasma gun, you must wasted a BFG shoot.)

Daqin

« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2008, 05:51 »

I missed this post. Since there are so many wonderful ideas i'd like to propose something too.
----------------------------

Hunting Rifle of Grandfather

aka Rifle for Hunting *EVERYTHING*

It is rifle from times where you had to put some powder into the barrel through the top, throw metal ball in, block it with piece of cloth by long strokes with loading pole.

Your grandfather of grandfather of.. ,it goes long, was very talented inventor and loved rifles. He constructed this HUGE barrel rifle for hunting *EVERYTHING* which at that time was unmatched. Even now, crude but amazingly devastating, it makes you wonder of who your Grandfather was.

Damage: 14D4
To Hit: 5  (as already mentioned grandfather was very talented inventor)
Reload time 10sec. Uses normal pistol ammo but need to be split up and apply.

-----------------------------

Ladies Small Pistol

There was time when fashion made it custom for women to carry small pistols, as for self-defense. Aka 'Strong Woman', was avoided by men even though, ironically, it had unexpected power.

Damage: 3D5 or 5D3
(actually it is little shotgun revolver pistol with 4 ammo in round magazine)
To Hit: 2
Wielding it makes all former soldiers laugh at you, which can sometimes give you little time extra.
On the other hand sometimes you may lose some confidence and hesitate for a moment in contemplation if you still make right impression..
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 07:26 by Daqin »

Daqin

« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2008, 08:17 »

Quote from: Conker
Also, what about unique monsters? Not to the extent of Barney and Santa Clause, but say, something in-theme that has a chance to appear - and will be difficult to defeat, but has an improved chance of dropping a unique item. If that's approved of, I don't mind putting together some profiles for unique monsters, I already have a few good ideas.

I second that. Unique monsters are really interesting (for example, Dungeon Crawl has many, and it was always adventure to meet one, Edmund, Sigmund etc..). They say something unique, have unique descriptions and do unique things.. beside drop unique things too sometimes (actually some uniques could be only dropped by matching unique monster). But IMO most beneficial they add atmosphere, when you only see formerers, souls, titled ones (barons, knights) and sorts of demon all the time. They add character to game, adventure.

Yeah, my 40k stuff would be fun..

I like 40k too. It seems weapons would fit DoomRL perfectly, just as would, say, terminator armor with stormbolter and power glove equipped.. ;)
(by the way, I wonder how SpaceHulkRL would work..)
-----------------------------

more uniques:

AC-Accelerated Pistol

Looks like normal pistol, however it uses high-tech particle acceleration technology for high velocity projectile speed.
Requires both: normal pistol ammo and recharging from power pack for reloading.

Damage: 3D4
Magazine: 7 Shots (being high-tech it has space for one more bullet due to miniaturization)
Special reload: Overcharge. Uses up triple power pack energy for 4D4 damage.
Chance for depleting  power pack completely (since it is still hard to control such high energies this kind of charging is optional)
------------------------------

DC-Accelerated Dual Shotgun

Elegant mix of conventional simplicity and high-end technology.
Similar to pistol above except it used different energy flow for single discharge damage.

Damage: 6D4 X3
Requires both: Shotgun ammo and power pack energy for reloading.
Special reload: Overload. Uses triple times more power pack energy for 8D4 X3 damage. However, there is chance for malfunction, due to high energy involved, that causes weapon to explode when releasing (firing) damaging everything in the area.
-------------------------------

Hell Survival Armor Set

Made by well known adventurer and explorer, nowadays forgotten, it has everything you need to survive in depths and vast lands of hell (and so at Phobos): built-in vision enhancements and target motion tracking, field mini-medical kit, is lava and acid proof, and is light and durable.

Protection: 4
Increases range of view by one space.
Adds 1 to ranged hit.
Can be used for small-med pack effect once per dungeon level.
Protects from acid and lava.
Can be damaged, can be repaired, can't be destroyed.
-------------------------------------

*updated
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 10:17 by Daqin »

packrat

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2008, 15:43 »

Inspired by comment about weapons reloaded with corpses, most of these weapons probably make no sense, but anyway:

Staff of Pain [3/3]: summons lost souls, reloaded with former human corpses

Holy Cross: attack damages everyone (every demon and undead) around, reloaded with medikits

Acid Launcher: like rocket launcher, but reloaded with barrels [ why do "barrels of acid" explode BTW? ]

Acid Gun: shotgun which can be reloaded from acid pools

And maybe this...

Reflector: uses power cells, when used, all fireballs and plasmaballs aimed at you this turn will return to their authors

commodorejohn

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2008, 15:52 »

[ why do "barrels of acid" explode BTW? ]
'Cause they did in DOOM. It's probably the oldest FPS cliche - barrels explode when you shoot them. Sometimes it has to be certain kinds of barrels, but they're in basically everything post-DOOM.

Daqin

« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2008, 00:21 »

I believe there could be much more uniques implemented than planned, except these would be not so powerful and so rare uniques, but more simple ones that can appear more frequently and give a payer feel of having some non-common weapon. For example:

Apo's Pistol

Apo is retired veteran of heroic reputation in marine corps. He often customized his favorite gear for slight improvements.

It has everything like normal pistol except 5 to hit rating.

Apo's Combat Shotgun

Just like normal combat shotgun except 6 shell magazine.

Apo's Double Shotgun

Like normal one except 1 to hit rating.

Apo's Chaingun

Like normal one except 1D7 damage.

Malek Deneith

• Grand Inquisitor Emeritus
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2008, 03:43 »

What you proposed is not unique-worthy -those just are normal items with one mod pre-built. And DShotgun is useless as shotguns ignore to hit. Anyway my proposals:

Blade's Malicious Knife [5d4]
The knife that Blade used to prove his worthiness to powers that be. It is said that seeing decided that he can't go further into he plunged into hells wall so that it would await a worthy successor of his greatness
Has a 5% chance to fire up a short-lived invulnerability when attacking and low on health (10-15?)

Paladin Arturius' +5 Armor [5/5] (105%)
Like it's wearer, great Paladin Arturius, this armor has +5 to everything!
+5% move
-20% knockback (when +5 to all is disadvantegous, Palading Arturius has -20 to everything)
+5% dodge chance

Note: Don't worry if you don't get the second one ;)
Inquisition - saving your soul, one bolter shell at a time.
Spoiler: "Hackmaster Kills" (click to show/hide)

Daqin

« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2008, 04:46 »

What you proposed is not unique-worthy -those just are normal items with one mod pre-built. And DShotgun is useless as shotguns ignore to hit. Anyway my proposals:

Unique means that something is rather unique, or am I wrong. If you make pistol that does 1d2 damage and drains you health 5 per turn, it is also unique even if it is not worthy of using at all. Some little enhanced weapons (as if with one mod) that can be modded, with some name, cold be nice alternative to common ones and little bet more difference in the game.
Apo's Double Shotgun could have slightly better reloading speed then.

Malek Deneith

• Grand Inquisitor Emeritus
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2008, 05:13 »

When it comes to games "unique" is a word to describe powerfull and rare items items - we could call them Artifacts, Rare Items or Special Items the effect would be the same - it's just that Unique sounds better and anyone that played games a bit will know right away what this is about. Yes beeing one-of-a-kind a.k.a beeing unique is one of their traits, but not exactly one that is defineing - uniques are meant either to have awe inspering stats, or at least something that will make you think "I don't need that but it's cool". "Apo's items" aren't that - they are the power level of a fastload/rapid/extended weapon and if I found out that one of 1-2 uniques that I'll find in a game would be something like that I'd probably strangle someone... And if they'd appear more commonly they would just be taking the niche that "yellow" weapons are put in now.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 05:15 by Malek Deneith »
Inquisition - saving your soul, one bolter shell at a time.
Spoiler: "Hackmaster Kills" (click to show/hide)

Daqin

« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2008, 05:23 »

When it comes to games "unique" is a word to describe powerfull and rare items items - we could call them Artifacts, Rare Items or Special Items the effect would be the same - it's just that Unique sounds better and anyone that played games a bit will know right away what this is about. Yes beeing one-of-a-kind a.k.a beeing unique is one of their traits,

Does the game says that item is unique or you just guess ?
uniques that I'll find in a game would be something like that I'd probably strangle someone... And if they'd appear more commonly they would just be taking the niche that "yellow" weapons are put in now.

Don't say someone would be unhappy by finding uncommon pistol that is little better than normal one..
If you like you may call these rares or uncommons, and reserve 'unique' for big artefacts you mentioned. However if the game doesn't say 'unique item' or other we are just having pointless conversation about is it proper to call something by some name..
Generally, IMHO little things like that would only make game richer, because I don't see the way they could work otherwise.

Rola

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2008, 05:38 »

Mommy, can I play too? Can I? Can I?

E-11 Blaster Rifle

Damage: 11d8
Clip Size: [10/10], uses plasma cells, 1 per shot
Base Fire Time: 2.0s
Base Reload Time: 2.5s
Accuracy: 0
Quote on pickup:  Here they are, blast them!

This standard issue military weapon packs a punch, but on the other hand it isn't known for rapid or accurate fire. Dangerous in the hands of a skilled marksman, but can be more of a problem for an average trooper.

Daqin

« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2008, 07:06 »

E-11 Blaster Rifle

Hehe..

----------------------------------
BlasTech DL-44 heavy blaster pistol

Generally illegal, preferred by figures of questionable reputation.

Damage: 4D4
Magazine: 25 shots (charged with power pack)
Base fire time: 1.5s
To hit: 2
Quote on pickup: I'll bet you have..
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 07:17 by Daqin »

Conker

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2008, 08:17 »

Okay, what the hell is the 'power pack' you keep talking about? Did I sleep and miss a new release?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5