Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 11:53
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Request for Ideas : Unique Items  (Read 30921 times)

Daqin

Re: Request for Ideas : Unique Items
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2008, 08:23 »

Okay, what the hell is the 'power pack' you keep talking about? Did I sleep and miss a new release?

I ment Power Cell.

Potman

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2008, 09:31 »

Here's one more:

Pariah [20d4]
It is said that the marines are quite fond of Russian Roulette, and that for countless decades they had used only this particular pistol, called Pariah, for the twisted game. It is said that the weapon feeds upon the souls of those countless who have fallen to it, and no sane marine would even think about using it in battle. However, your mates often said that you never were quite right in your mind.
Of the six bullets loaded to the gun, only one actually fires. The rest just go "The weapon says "Click"! Nothing happens!".

Edit: Also, by special reloading, you could aim the gun at yourself and fire. If it goes "Click", you'll get some experience and bonus in score. If it really fires, you're dead, no questions asked (bypasses even Invulnerability). Can only be done if the weapon's fully loaded.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 09:57 by Potman »

Xael

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2008, 12:09 »

Some more ideas for uniques:

Quicksilver: a double shotgun which has high firing and reload speed, but  slightly decreased damage.

Whirl: a chaingun powered by a gravity device. Shots are more powerful and cause knockback on contact, but there is less ammo in the magazine.

Fate: a pistol which holds only one bullet. Instantkill if it hits, but that is tricky as the accuracy of the weapon is dreadful.

Potman

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2008, 13:07 »

Fate: a pistol which holds only one bullet. Instantkill if it hits, but that is tricky as the accuracy of the weapon is dreadful.

Make it six bullets and guaranteed hit, but no reload.

Conker

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2008, 16:58 »

Some of these things seem very overpowered to me. If we add too many things that powerful, we'll have to make the regular monsters more powerful to compensate. And then on the games that we don't find these nice items, we'll be entirely screwed. So the game becomes less skill-based and more luck-based. Which I'm certainly opposed to, I don't know about the rest of you.

Fate Pistol: Imagine it with intuition. You just stand offscreen of something and shoot wildly in their direction. Hell, JC would be a pushover even without intuition.

Zeb

• Elder
  • Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2008, 21:33 »

Some of these things seem very overpowered to me. If we add too many things that powerful, we'll have to make the regular monsters more powerful to compensate. And then on the games that we don't find these nice items, we'll be entirely screwed. So the game becomes less skill-based and more luck-based. Which I'm certainly opposed to, I don't know about the rest of you.

I think this is what has been happening in the current release. If you find a halfway decent unique, you're pretty much set for the rest of the game.

Xael

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2008, 07:51 »

Fate Pistol: Imagine it with intuition. You just stand offscreen of something and shoot wildly in their direction. Hell, JC would be a pushover even without intuition.

Dreadful accuracy is made to negate the effect of intuition, as it's pretty hard to hit a monster out of LOS nowadays.

Anyway, it can be balanced even more. For example, each time you reload this gun your max hp is decreased by 1.

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2008, 05:11 »

It seems to me that many of these ideas will have too much in the way of changing player strategy when found, by becoming too worthwhile to pass up. I wouldn't like to see the game control the player that way.

IMO, uniques should have clear disadvantages to counterbalance their advantages. Not enough so to make them no better, but more confusing, than normal weapons - just enough to keep them a consideration rather than a requirement. This'll also add to the "interesting" factor.

Now, for a few of my own ideas:

Name: Neutron shells
Base item: Rocket X10
Abilities: very high damage (X2-3 normal); doesn't harm walls, doors, barrels or items (though radius isn't diminished by walls, either). Both traits are counterbalanced by themselves - high damage includes player if in radius, and by not harming objects it can't shape the battlefield.

Name:Ol' Painless (minigun from Predator, IIRC)
Base item: Chaingun
Abilities: 12-shot (though same speed as CG), 120 clip capacity, 2d2 damage, very long reload (X2-3 normal for CG), recoil (1-3 spaces). Maybe double-handed (blocks secondary slot)? Maybe has 1 turn "warm up"?

Name: Shine On
Base item: Plasma rifle
Abilities: acts as SG for purposes of targeting (ie AOE weapon with 100% hit ratio and damage dissipation by range), but as PR for purposes of damage, clip capacity and number of shots fired.

Name: Faust
Base item: Combat SG
Abilities: Double damage. Doesn't need normal ammo. Reloads by causing player 1-3 points of damage per "shell". Maybe leaves taunting line on mortem if ever used (styled as "soled your soul to defeat Cybie")?

Daqin

« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2008, 08:04 »

Name:Ol' Painless (minigun from Predator, IIRC)
Base item: Chaingun
Abilities: 12-shot (though same speed as CG), 120 clip capacity, 2d2 damage, very long reload (X2-3 normal for CG), recoil (1-3 spaces). Maybe double-handed (blocks secondary slot)? Maybe has 1 turn "warm up"?

Yeah, somehow game is not complete without a minigun, I feel. Chaingun is kinda replacement, but classic minigun like one above or something like that seem to me like a 'must'.

Rola

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 27, 2008, 08:47 »

Yeah, somehow game is not complete without a minigun
R U sure? ;)

Daqin

« Reply #55 on: January 28, 2008, 01:42 »

R U sure? ;)

I am sure that I want it. Any 'but's are second probem.

Mr_Dead

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 28, 2008, 05:36 »

R U sure? ;)

What he means daqin, is that there quite possibly is such a gun already in the game.
Endure.  In enduring grow strong.

Daqin

« Reply #57 on: January 28, 2008, 05:47 »

R U sure? ;)

What he means daqin, is that there quite possibly is such a gun already in the game.

Ah..I missed that ";)" and skipped other things, heheh..:) Well, if so.., ..interesting :>
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 05:51 by Daqin »

Zarin

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 28, 2008, 20:39 »

I know I'm late to the party, but here it goes:

Lance - melee weapon:
5d6, long range - can be used against enemies two steps away.  In order to hit a non-adjacent enemy, you press 'f' (fire) and direction, otherwise you just walk towards the adversary :)  Or you press 'f' and then aim as usual (makes 'knight move' hit possible).
This one would be great against demons - and even AoD when berserkering.

I just started playing again, and uniques are a great addition!  Thus I decided to give Kornel some ideas for the future :)

Dawgas

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 07, 2008, 21:03 »

OH YEAH? I'M MORE FASHIONABLY LATE

Power Glove
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5