Chaosforge Forum

• April 18, 2024, 17:27
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Request for Comments : Item stacking  (Read 2685 times)

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
Request for Comments : Item stacking
« on: December 29, 2007, 07:46 »

It was decided (see here) that item stacking for items other than ammo might be a good thing. The idea would be for medkits, mods and phases to stack to a small (2-3) value. However, that might seriously unbalance the game.

Suggestion : implement stacking, but reduce inv-size to 15 (7 on AoLT) but backpack raises to 20 (instead of the increased stack size -- 10 on AoLT). What do you think?

Question : what exact stack sizes should be? For large med packs, for small med packs, for phase devices, for mods.

DISCUSS!
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

RickVoid

• Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Request for Comments : Item stacking
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2007, 08:31 »

I'd say don't let the mods or phases stack, and keep inventory slots the same. Unstacking medkits is the main reason mods get left behind, stackable meds removes this irritant. And 2-3 per stack sounds fine to me, with 4-5 from the backpack increase.

Just my $.02.
Campbell: Snake, press the action button.
Snake: ... What?
Campbell: The action button, on the control pad.
Snake: What!?

Malek Deneith

• Grand Inquisitor Emeritus
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2007, 09:32 »

I agree with Rick - lowering the inv-size for balance will as bad as before but in diffrent form. If you fear for balance just limit stacking to meds as Rick suggested.
Inquisition - saving your soul, one bolter shell at a time.
Spoiler: "Hackmaster Kills" (click to show/hide)

DaEezT

• Greater Elder
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2007, 09:53 »

I'm a bit unsure about the whole stacking issue.

Mods shouldn't stack IMO. You can apply 1 mod to a normal weapon so you often have the option to mod one of your current weapons (o/c there are exceptions e.g. magazine mods and rocket launchers). If you want to build yourself an Uber Weapon of Mass Pwnage (TM) you have to give up some inventory space to hoard those mods.

Phase Devices could stack for all I care. They are random enough and bring you closer to harm as much as they save you from it. I never ever bother with them so they might as well stack.

Meds are "guaranteed goodness", especially large ones, and stacking them would have a huge impact on balance. Also, I sorta like the offense vs defense choice that ammo vs medkit present ;)

Weapons and armors shouldn't stack obviously.

Either leave everything as it is or make the default ammo stack size bigger, reduce the inventory size and make the backpack increase it like you suggested.
"Morality is merely a convention with which men mutually agree to delude themselves. There are no moral facts, just preferences, and one is no better than any other."
Pages: [1]