Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 08:37
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Update the in-game help!  (Read 7311 times)

007bistromath

• Backer
  • First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Update the in-game help!
« on: December 30, 2007, 14:08 »

Some of the keybindings are wrong! I have no idea how the new tactics system works! The help file was written before the old tactics system! My head fell off!

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
Re: Update the in-game help!
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007, 18:00 »

at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

007bistromath

• Backer
  • First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 02:19 »

But I don't even know all the correct buttons, and I still have no idea how the new tactics system works. -_-

DaEezT

• Greater Elder
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 02:28 »

But I don't even know all the correct buttons, and I still have no idea how the new tactics system works. -_-
It's too late to talk you way out of this one!
That is just the DoomRL way: You ask for something and the next thing you know is that you've been assigned to do it yourself ;D
"Morality is merely a convention with which men mutually agree to delude themselves. There are no moral facts, just preferences, and one is no better than any other."

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2007, 04:02 »

Runnning:
  Dodge bonus +20%
  Move speed +30%
  Activation 0.1s
  Fire toHit -2
  Fire defense +4
  Melee damage /2
  Melee defense +4
« Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 04:05 by Kornel Kisielewicz »
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Malek Deneith

• Grand Inquisitor Emeritus
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2007, 04:18 »

Fire defense +4
  Melee damage /2
  Melee defense +4
Uhhh, what? What does this stuff do? O.o
Inquisition - saving your soul, one bolter shell at a time.
Spoiler: "Hackmaster Kills" (click to show/hide)

tisiphone

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2007, 04:23 »

Current:
Below your health and experience is "tactics".  It can either be set to cautious (the default), coward, or aggressive.  Cautious provides average chance to hit/damage dealt/chance to dodge.  Aggressive improves your to-hit chance and the damage you deal, but also reduces your dodge chance. Coward reduces your to-hit chance and the damage you deal, but improves your dodge chance. It is a good idea to always have coward on when you're not fighting, that way if you get ambushed, there's a lower chance that you will be hit.

My version:
Below your health and experience is "tactics".  Your default tactic is cautious and you will spend most of your time in this mode. To change tactics you will need to press TAB, this will put you in to running mode (Note that currently changing tactics takes in-game time). Running provides you with a bonus to defence and moving speed for a limited time. When doomguy become exhausted from running (or if you press TAB again) running is replaced by tired mode. Tired acts in every way like cautious except you no longer can change tactics. To go back to being cautious you will need to either: leave the level, use a medic kit or consume a health/berserk/invincibility globe. Because running is limited in this way try to not waste it. Also not running on a level and "saving" it for the next will not work so you should not try to "horde" them either.     

Could I have some feedback on this please :)

Also could we change:
Watch this space carefully – it may notify you of impending danger or tell you that you're out of ammo (poor sob!). to poor sod as I think that was what was intended.
I want my games for entertainment and escapism, not ethics education, thank you very much.

Rabiat

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2007, 06:08 »

Thanks for that, I've been waiting for a tactics description. And thank you for the stats, Kornel.

Running provides you with a bonus to defence and moving speed for a limited time.

And apparently there's a bonus to dodging.

When doomguy become exhausted from running (or if you press TAB again) running is replaced by tired mode.

This has nothing to do with the description, but I dislike the fact that tactics change to 'tired' if you press tab once too often, and you can't switch back. I'd prefer if there were some exhaustion value, and the game would allow you to switch back to running if your energy isn't depleted.

Tired acts in every way like cautious except you no longer can change tactics.

Has this been verified?

Also could we change:
Watch this space carefully – it may notify you of impending danger or tell you that you're out of ammo (poor sob!). to poor sod as I think that was what was intended.

Sod, or SOB? ;)
0.9.9.2 - [22/8/2/0/0] - Mancubus Scrap Metal Collector

007bistromath

• Backer
  • First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2007, 09:30 »

This has nothing to do with the description, but I dislike the fact that tactics change to 'tired' if you press tab once too often, and you can't switch back. I'd prefer if there were some exhaustion value, and the game would allow you to switch back to running if your energy isn't depleted.
I'm not the guy, but just judging from how Kornel usually seems to do things, I'd assume he plans to do that in the next release. He implements things in steps rather than all at once, it's good policy.

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2007, 10:44 »

Nope the exhaustion value is a BadThing(tm) because it would encourage pro's to do a "single step run" every time he feels he would be shot at, which is neither in the spirit of the game, and also introduces painful "micromanagement".
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

007bistromath

• Backer
  • First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2007, 12:28 »

That could be solved by making the act of switching consume some of that resource. Basically making it so that you can switch three (or whatever number is good) times per charge rather than one.

PS: Though, really, it's not important. I'd rather see more work on the trait system. I think that, more than any other part of DoomRL, is where you can still add quite a bit of depth without going out of scope or wrecking the flavor.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 12:29 by 007bistromath »

tisiphone

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2007, 15:46 »

Dodge bonus +20%
Fire toHit -2
Wait a sec, does this mean that you have a penalty to *your* ToHit?

And apparently there's a bonus to dodging.
Hmm, yeah, by defence I meant dodge, damage reduction, defence and what ever else. I’ll expand that. It’s just that I was trying to cut stuff out to make my description a bit smaller since it’s quite a bit bigger then the old one...   

Has this been verified?
I think I can remember reading that somewhere form someone important... *glances at Kornel*

Sod, or SOB? ;)
Heheh

By the way thanks for the feedback, Rabiat :)

My version:
Below your health and experience is "tactics".  Your default tactic is cautious and you will spend most of your time in this mode. To change tactics you will need to press TAB, this will put you in to running mode (Note that currently changing tactics takes in-game time). Running provides you with a bonus to defence and moving speed for a limited time. When doomguy become exhausted from running (or if you press TAB again) running is replaced by tired mode. Tired acts in every way like cautious except you no longer can change tactics. To go back to being cautious you will need to either: leave the level, use a medic kit or consume a health/berserk/invincibility globe. Because running is limited in this way try to not waste it. Also not running on a level and "saving" it for the next will not work so you should not try to "horde" them either.
Here’s an updated version:
Below your health and experience is "tactics".  Your default tactic is cautious and you will spend most of your time in this mode. To change tactics press TAB – this will put you in running mode (Note that changing tactics takes in-game time). Running provides you with a bonus to defence, dodge and moving speed for a limited time. Whenever Doomguy become exhausted from running (or if you press TAB again) he becomes “tired”. Tired acts in every way like cautious except you cannot change tactics. In order to be able to run again you will need to either: leave the level, consume a medic kit or use a globe. Because running is limited in this way try not to waste it. Also notice that not running on a level and saving it for the next will not work so try to avoid "hording" them too.

I tried to make this one a bit shorter then the last. What do you guys think?   
I want my games for entertainment and escapism, not ethics education, thank you very much.

raigan

• Greater Elder
  • Private FC
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2008, 19:01 »

One thing is that it seems kind of stupid to have tab toggle through tactics -- when would you ever WANT to switch from running to tired?! Why not just have tab be the "run" button?

chalup

• Private FC
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2008, 02:31 »

I sometime use TAB to stop running. For example: I'm taking fire from barons of hell and I want to run behind the wall. Then I want to shoot them out of sight with my chaingun. I don't need running bonuses anymore, so I stop running to get rid of -2 tohit penealty.
Pages: [1]