Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 11:45
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Easter egg for April 1st  (Read 5536 times)

jinxdone

• Private FC
    • View Profile
Easter egg for April 1st
« on: January 01, 2008, 07:27 »

Hi.

It just occurred to me that it'd be a pretty funny feature if played on 1st of april the game would sometimes give you the "you feel relatively safe" message even though there are still one or two monsters left on the level. :)

Relatively harmless but fun feature imo.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2008, 19:45 by jinxdone »

007bistromath

• Backer
  • First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Easter egg for april 1st
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2008, 07:47 »

Nah, then you just think it's a bug.

If you're going to do that, you have to do it right. Every "relatively safe" message has a 1% chance to spawn a big ugly mob of hurt next to the stairs. Like, a mancubus or a pack of five or so knights would be the bare minimum. Ideally there would be some way to make it stop making noise. Then when it kills you, the post mortem says "April Fool!" Or if it doesn't, you go down the stairs and the exit message is "joke's on me..."
« Last Edit: January 01, 2008, 07:50 by 007bistromath »

Zeb

• Elder
  • Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2008, 14:35 »

Nah, then you just think it's a bug.

If you're going to do that, you have to do it right. Every "relatively safe" message has a 1% chance to spawn a big ugly mob of hurt next to the stairs. Like, a mancubus or a pack of five or so knights would be the bare minimum. Ideally there would be some way to make it stop making noise. Then when it kills you, the post mortem says "April Fool!" Or if it doesn't, you go down the stairs and the exit message is "joke's on me..."

If it was a non-challenge game the mortem could say "He was an April Fool!" :-)

jinxdone

• Private FC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2008, 19:39 »

No I think it would be fine with just saying the "You feel relatively safe" message too early. I mean, it's pretty harmless, by chance you could still hear an enemy if he makes a sound or just spot him while salvaging stuff around the level. It'd happen randomly with a slim chance per level so it's just those things that might surprise you a bit. In my opinion it even makes sense this way since the message clearly says "You feel relatively safe".. doesn't say anything about the level being empty. ;)

Now if we're talking spawning some enemies that might be another easter egg alltogether! (I'm all for adding a little surprise and variety for a game! Like for instance nethack does certain things on certain dates + the fullmoon cycle and so forth)
« Last Edit: January 01, 2008, 19:45 by jinxdone »

007bistromath

• Backer
  • First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Easter egg for April 1st
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2008, 14:04 »

Strongly disagree. Just having an early message isn't spectacular enough for something that happens once a year, or as often as you care enough to mess around with your time and date settings.

And while I'm thinking about it, it should definitely be only once a year. Fighting Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny does not happen here.

jinxdone

• Private FC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 23:52 »

@007bistromath

Yes, sure, it's not very spectacular. But so what? It's just a funny gag which is not harmful by itself. If you want something earthshaking to happen 1st of april just post any ideas it in here! I think it'd be fun to have some sort of out-of-the-ordinary things happening on april fool's day anyhow no matter how small.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2008, 23:54 by jinxdone »

007bistromath

• Backer
  • First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2008, 02:12 »

If you want something earthshaking to happen 1st of april just post any ideas it in here!
Hmmm. That's odd.

It appears I already did.

jinxdone

• Private FC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2008, 16:44 »

@007bistromath

Heh, yep it seems so. :)

Though I was referring to shooting down my idea so bluntly. It's not that these little things (like my idea) would somehow exclude other things from being added as well, all sort of easter eggs could be thrown in there.

007bistromath

• Backer
  • First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2008, 16:51 »

Right, and part of what I was saying is that I think that's a very bad idea. DoomRL is not the kind of game that has some weird thing happen every week. I think we should limit ourselves to one.

jinxdone

• Private FC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2008, 14:12 »

Once a year is hardly "every week".. I think only very specific days should have any easter eggs added. if the other 364 days of regular gameplay is not enough then you can just be happy adjusting the machine clock to get rid of them if you really want to play it on that specific day without any surpprises.

Either way I think that some sort of rare events should exist in doomrl!
Pages: [1]