Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 12:24
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Nerfing the Chaingun  (Read 9802 times)

Conker

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Nerfing the Chaingun
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2008, 11:18 »

SM is mostly useless.  Usually I don't want to move and reload.  I just want to reload, the faster the better.
Wrong. You DO wan't to move and reload as this:
a)increases dodge chance
b)combined move + reload is performed at move speed, which means that it'll be usually faster than just raloding

It's not useless. But it's not worth 3 trait points, either.

007bistromath

• Backer
  • First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2008, 13:48 »

It is with the double shotgun. That's why you take it, really. Using one of those as your main weapon is pretty nice. Splatters basically anything up to an Arachnotron in no more than two hits if you're close enough, and anything that's too far away can eat your rocket/BFG. You never have to worry about ammo, it always hits, you can take on a whole room full of crap at once. Good stuff. But without Shottyman, it's basically impossible, because reloading is SLOW and you're just standing there getting ventilated the whole time when you could be ducking in and out of a doorway, or jinking across the room.

My first win ever (in 987, I had some wins on an earlier version that was very different, too) was a shotty run. It works.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 13:50 by 007bistromath »

Chamber

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2008, 17:57 »

Okay, I recant.  After an experimental win using nothing but shotguns, along with ShottyMan, leaves me with the conclusion that SM provides a definate improvement to surviveability.  As long as you combine SM with 3xHellrunner, at any rate.

The problem with shotguns is that since you can only attack once every other turn, enemies have many opportunities to fight back.  But that is hardly a bad thing. 

Combine this technique with a rocket launcher/plasma rifle/BFG to provide distance kills, and you have an effective fighting style.

Behrooz Wolf

• Elder
  • Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
Blind Rage trait?
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2008, 23:41 »

From my perspective, a major problem with the shotgun at higher levels is getting into range.  Shottyman helps, but I'd enjoy seeing a special trait to... simplify... the issue.

Something like:

"Blind Rage/Berserk Charge:  All of a sudden it makes sense-- what's really cheesing you off isn't the bullets or the fireballs, it's the WAITING!  You can't stand the waiting, and you're not gonna stop till this damn job is finished!  For each level of  this trait, movement cost for going a square in the same direction that you just [fired|attacked] is reduced by 50%!"  [Requres Hellrunner(1)]  Quote: "Just get on with it already!"

This trait would synergize well with shottyman, be interesting for melee, and probably wouldn't have much effect on longer-range weapons like the chaingun/plasma.

...and maybe I just love the idea of a marine shotgun-charging anything in view, spraying hot lead everywhere.  Now we just need more shotgun ammo at higher levels...

007bistromath

• Backer
  • First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2008, 00:57 »

Eh. I really don't think that's necessary. Getting in range of the shotgun is not really a big problem in my experience. If you're fighting something small enough that you'd want to, the task is trivial. If you're fighting anything larger, the rockets will do just fine.

tekknej

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2008, 15:38 »

and when you use running - shotgun reloads even faster?
btw, how much running is faster than walking?

Malek Deneith

• Grand Inquisitor Emeritus
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2008, 15:54 »

It's 30% faster.
Inquisition - saving your soul, one bolter shell at a time.
Spoiler: "Hackmaster Kills" (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 [2]  All