Chaosforge Forum

• March 29, 2024, 01:07
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Son of a Bitch idea.  (Read 2832 times)

Zeb

• Elder
  • Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
Son of a Bitch idea.
« on: January 03, 2008, 05:20 »

Why not make it so that SoaB adds one extra side to every die rolled per level? This would simultaneously make it less useful on chain weapons, while making it useful at all for rocket launchers, shotguns, etc! (Pistols would be equally effected) Thus, SoaB becomes less game-breaking, but simultaneously is useful for all weapon paths meaning that the whole chain weapon dilemma is neatly sidestepped. I also think this would be a good idea for the flavor of the game. A true Son of a Bitch wouldn't find himself confined to a certain weapon type; he'd be kicking ass and taking names no matter what weapon path he was using. It would also make SoaB truly the inverse of TaN- a generally useful skill that can be used to fill in the gaps of any skill set.

Opinions?

Madrik Rimesorrow

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
Re: Son of a Bitch idea.
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 05:53 »

I second you.
They shall tremble, shall despair.
Forth the chill that hangs mid-air.
Anger, anguish, damage share.
Go now! Follow Terror's heir...

tisiphone

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 07:18 »

I had a similar idea a while back but I decided against it. At the moment you have a choice between going shotgun and shotgun traits or chaingun and chaingun traits. Both paths a quite distinct and I think that’s good. It gives you variety in the same way as different classes in other games do but it’s far less restricting. That and it would case all kinds of balancing problems but just in a different way. For example the double shot gun will have + 9 damage just from one level of Son of a Bitch while chaingun will have + 2.5. So to me it sounds like replacing an old problem with a different problem rather then a solution.

Overall I’m against.
I want my games for entertainment and escapism, not ethics education, thank you very much.

Conker

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 08:39 »

Against. SoaB isn't game-breaking. It reduces reliance on damage mods - which is a good thing, given the ability that they can fail to appear at all within a game. Try taking on Cybie without any levels in SoaB or any damage mods. Barring berserk/invul, pistols (which *are* broken), or a ludicrous amount of armour/medkits, you'll be spending quite a while trying to chisel down that armour of his.
Pages: [1]