Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 15:47
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Shiver me timbers, landlubber!!  (Read 19976 times)

Karry

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Shiver me timbers, landlubber!!
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2008, 23:41 »

Pretty heavy stuff you have in there :). Do you actually plan doing it?
Seems pretty unrealistic at the moment. Most free coders are either completely useless, or they want to join to the already full and active team.
It seems my best bet is also to join some big team, make one or two projects, and then plug my idea to the group.

torch

• Elder
  • Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2008, 05:35 »

You'd be surprised Igor, how simple mechanics can be made into really fun and complex ones. The idea is to allow oneself a layer of abstraction, and not go for realism all the way. Take Pipe Dreams for an example -- it has nothing to do with realism except the water flowing, but it's fun as hell. Or any better minigames in older games -- they (if well designed) could be tons of fun, without realism. The point here is to make them NOT BORING. Realism is a secondary need.

It's an interesting idea.  The enemy boat(s) would be moving so a hit may not equal a hit next turn, but subsequent hits may give the player enough analysis to predict where the enemy is sailing to and get a number of good hits in. 
the monsters are looking forward to your make-believe visit

Rola

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2008, 21:44 »

\Life is never about promises. And I would choose erratic input over no input at all - any day.\
Point taken. In that case I'll try to write down my ideas and maybe even provide some reference materials about pirate stuff ;) Do you want to discuss it point-by-point here on the forum or to get it in one file via e-mail?

\You mean "Captain Blood"?\

No, it turns out I was actually thinking about Sea Legends. I just mixed up two Russian developers (Nival with Akella).

Igor Savin

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2008, 08:31 »

\Or any better minigames in older games -- they (if well designed) could be tons of fun, without realism. The point here is to make them NOT BORING\

Point here is to make it not repetitive; and gameplay should be tweakable with skills\upgrades\ship types. There's a lot to consider...

Igor Savin

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2008, 08:50 »

\The enemy boat(s) would be moving so a hit may not equal a hit next turn, but subsequent hits may give the player enough analysis to predict where the enemy is sailing to and get a number of good hits in\

Idea would require some additional tuning. 1/8 chance to guess where enemy is moving to? Oh, please...

\Point taken. In that case I'll try to write down my ideas and maybe even provide some reference materials about pirate stuff ;)\

Great.

\Do you want to discuss it point-by-point here on the forum or to get it in one file via e-mail?\

Kornel will put us to eternal damnation of we abuse his forum :).

We can use Gna! mailing list for discussion:
https://gna.org/mail/?group=bal
(ignore their unsigned certificate; they are self-issuing it to get https working)
since they provide no forum.

torch

• Elder
  • Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2008, 02:23 »

\The enemy boat(s) would be moving so a hit may not equal a hit next turn, but subsequent hits may give the player enough analysis to predict where the enemy is sailing to and get a number of good hits in\

Idea would require some additional tuning. 1/8 chance to guess where enemy is moving to? Oh, please...

Yeah, I should have thought a bit harder about that one! 

I figured the boat would be bigger than one tile, but even so I don't think that makes my idea valid.  Although wind strength and direction might be a factor. 
the monsters are looking forward to your make-believe visit

Igor Savin

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2008, 12:57 »

\Yeah, I should have thought a bit harder about that one!\

Fear not, it looks like I've found a solution already, which validates your solution absolutely. Now that the Valkyrion stage 1 was completed successfully, I'm starting a test module, which will demonstrate possible naval combat gameplay.

Rola, are you there?..

Rola

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2008, 02:08 »

I'm still here, Igor. Pardon me for being away, but I was busy with some trivial stuff, like exams ;P

I'm writing a document for you, because I checked your link and disliked this idea. I'll send it to you via e-mail when the first revision will be ready.

I doubt Kornel will be against hijacking a single thread on his forum.

And mods could separate our pirate-related ideas from Karry's project, please (make a separate thread for him).

Daqin

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2008, 03:40 »

I could at least put you in good direction in the beginning. May of the ideas I had in mind for StarWarsRL could be used here as well, including the progressive development approach - what you said about expanding the basic game.

However do we really want to start to dabble with this? With StarWarsRL I could finally have the game I'm waiting for 15 years or so.

If StarWars roguelike is going to start you got my support. I am long faith fan of SW and have other exp, so I would give my hand, and i'd be GLAD to do it. I was waiting many years for game like this also.

Quote from: Igor Savin
\With StarWarsRL I could finally have the game I'm waiting for 15 years or so\

I won't be doing any sci-fi for at least few years. And Kornel is the best man for the job anyway .

I'd say SW is fantasy rather than SF..

You'd be surprised Igor, how simple mechanics can be made into really fun and complex ones. The idea is to allow oneself a layer of abstraction, and not go for realism all the way. Take Pipe Dreams for an example -- it has nothing to do with realism except the water flowing, but it's fun as hell. Or any better minigames in older games -- they (if well designed) could be tons of fun, without realism. The point here is to make them NOT BORING. Realism is a secondary need.

I second that. Sometimes very simple mechanics can give a lot and make things very playable. The acompanying outlook and other things make up whole atmosphere without being spoiled by too much sophistry, and number of simple things makes it up for complexity.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 03:51 by Daqin »

Igor Savin

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2008, 09:55 »

\I'm still here, Igor. Pardon me for being away, but I was busy with some trivial stuff, like exams ;P\

I'm doing mine just as well :-P. It was merely a question.

\I'm writing a document for you\

OK.

\I doubt Kornel will be against hijacking a single thread on his forum\

Problem is, if discussion becomes active enough, it will become a hijack of "Recent posts" feed, which is undesirable.

\And mods could separate our pirate-related ideas from Karry's project, please\

We can create a new one ourselves, as soon as we get started.

\If StarWars roguelike is going to start you got my support. I am long faith fan of SW and have other exp, so I would give my hand, and i'd be GLAD to do it. I was waiting many years for game like this also\

Hmm. If Kornel won't start it this year, I *might* give it a try, considering how popular this demand is. Although you'll all be gathering petitions begging me to stop after you see results :-P

\I'd say SW is fantasy rather than SF..\

I'd say it's western rather than fantasy :-P

\I second that. Sometimes very simple mechanics can give a lot and make things very playable. The acompanying outlook and other things make up whole atmosphere without being spoiled by too much sophistry, and number of simple things makes it up for complexity\

In the end of January (after I hold the dreaded History of Russian Language exam in Uni and present Part I of my Test Project at Job) Chaosforge frequenters will be granted an exceptional honour of beholding the SeaBattleRL conceptual demo, which after Rola's approval might become the integral part of BaL-Sea.

Daqin

« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2008, 10:11 »

\If StarWars roguelike is going to start you got my support. I am long faith fan of SW and have other exp, so I would give my hand, and i'd be GLAD to do it. I was waiting many years for game like this also\

Hmm. If Kornel won't start it this year, I *might* give it a try, considering how popular this demand is. Although you'll all be gathering petitions begging me to stop after you see results :-P

That's happy news. Let know when to start gathering materials.

\I'd say SW is fantasy rather than SF..\

I'd say it's western rather than fantasy :-P

Knights, lightsabers, the Force.. on the other hand Han Solo, blasters, cantina scum.. I would say it is fantasy western, or something else, heh :)

Igor Savin

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2008, 10:41 »

\Knights, lightsabers, the Force.. on the other hand Han Solo, blasters, cantina scum.. I would say it is fantasy western, or something else, heh :)\

I prefer Han Solo to Jedis; if I ever start the project, it will be primarily centered on cantina scum.
Yep, I'll issue material request when it becomes relevant :).

Daqin

« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2008, 11:07 »

\Knights, lightsabers, the Force.. on the other hand Han Solo, blasters, cantina scum.. I would say it is fantasy western, or something else, heh :)\

I prefer Han Solo to Jedis; if I ever start the project, it will be primarily centered on cantina scum.
Yep, I'll issue material request when it becomes relevant :).

In the past I was definitely more affected by Force and Jedi Knights (Mmmm.. I may still be). Now, however, Jedi and Force got deformed -in my point of view- by lots of games, new movies, comics, books etc. So I am more balanced now. And I always liked smuggler/scoundrel and mercenary thing. I somehow feel at home in this cantina scenes (music, glances from here and there, etc). So game smuggler/scoundrel oriented (bounty hunters, gangsters and other) would be just right (except there is still need for the Force, however just like in old movies it should be something like "ancient religion, simple luck -bunch of tricks and nonsenses" generally something very subtle and mystical, a legend maybe)

Rola

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2008, 10:50 »

* Igor receives +5 influence bonus with Rola
Too bad we're the minority...

Igor Savin

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2008, 11:06 »

\however just like in old movies it should be something like "ancient religion, simple luck -bunch of tricks and nonsenses" generally something very subtle and mystical, a legend maybe)\

Yeah, that one could work.

\* Igor receives +5 influence bonus with Rola\

ROFL

\Too bad we're the minority...\

Always outnumbered, never outgunned. As soon as I get out of vapour-bane, we'll show 'em ;).
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All