Chaosforge Forum

• April 17, 2024, 18:05
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Achievements  (Read 6061 times)

DaEezT

• Greater Elder
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Achievements
« on: January 05, 2008, 10:16 »

We had a thread a while back about additional player stats and some generic entry is in the new bugtracker. Since those changes aren't implemented yet (would probably brake the player.dat) and the unique item listing would also brake the player.dat I thought I might as well come up with another player.dat breaking idea :D

Achievements
The Orange Box, xBox Live! , CoD4, BF2, etc all have them, so let's add DoomRL as well ;)

I actually have/had two ideas for this.
The simpler one would be to add another page to the player stats that has certain special achievements. They might be interesting/challenging/funny/whatever. e.g. An achievement that requires you to win AoMr without firing a range weapon or win a specific challenge on a specific difficulty. Another one might be awarded to those who plant a nuke with only 9 turns left on their inv. globe :D They aren't required for unlocking anything in the game and only serve as an incentive for players.

But after thinking about it for a while I realized that we already have such achievements as part of the rank requirements, like "Kill 40 cacodemons in melee" or "Kill 50 mancubi with a pistol". Why not make all those special requirements into achievements that are tracked and displayed separately and then make those achievements part of the requirements?
For example: Let's say you make a achievement called "Mancubus Hunter" that has three levels: basic, veteran and expert. Basic requires 100 Mancubus kills, veteran requires 200 kills and 10 mellee kills, expert requires 200 kills and 50 pistol kills. The Mancubus XP Rank would then list something like "Expert Mancubus Hunter" as requirement.
In addition to remaking all those special requirements into achievements you can also add new achievements which do what I said in my first idea. Not all achievements would/should be required to unlock something. Some should be extreme and only serve as a incentive to experienced players. I'm thinking mostly along the lines of the TF2/BF2/CoD4 achievements as a inspiration.

Am I making sense here or did I lose you already?

"Morality is merely a convention with which men mutually agree to delude themselves. There are no moral facts, just preferences, and one is no better than any other."

007bistromath

• Backer
  • First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Achievements
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 11:07 »

An achievement that requires you to win AoMr without firing a range weapon
lol wut

If this idea goes in, I think that's what that one should be called.

Malek Deneith

• Grand Inquisitor Emeritus
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 11:08 »

* Malek Deneith slaps "Imperial A-OK certificate" sticker on this topic

You got my vote on that one - I don't want to see player.dat broken anytime soon, but when it finally comes to breaking it, this idea should definetly get implemented :]
Inquisition - saving your soul, one bolter shell at a time.
Spoiler: "Hackmaster Kills" (click to show/hide)

DaEezT

• Greater Elder
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 11:20 »

An achievement that requires you to win AoMr without firing a range weapon
lol wut

If this idea goes in, I think that's what that one should be called.
Gun Kata/Gun Fu ;D

I actually did play several melee only AoMr games back in 0.9.8.5 to prove that melee combat (Berserker trait + Brute trait + berserker kits + coward/berserk tactic switching) was overpowered but never won a game. I guess I disproved my own theory ;D
"Morality is merely a convention with which men mutually agree to delude themselves. There are no moral facts, just preferences, and one is no better than any other."

Malek Deneith

• Grand Inquisitor Emeritus
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2008, 11:33 »

Gun Kata/Gun Fu ;D
Negative - in Gun Kata you DO fire the gun... a lot ;P
Inquisition - saving your soul, one bolter shell at a time.
Spoiler: "Hackmaster Kills" (click to show/hide)

DaEezT

• Greater Elder
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2008, 11:46 »

Gun Kata/Gun Fu ;D
Negative - in Gun Kata you DO fire the gun... a lot ;P

You're just being picky.

That's like saying this guy doesn't fight in melee combat:

Silhar

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Brigadier General
  • Get psyched!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2008, 12:27 »

Whoa, nice one xD.

About achievements - Seconded !

commodorejohn

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2008, 14:59 »

I like this idea - it reminds me of Nethack's various achievements like pacifism or vegetarianism.

Wait, did I just suggest DoomRL to be more like Nethack? Somebody shoot me, please, before this gets to the point where you can die by choking on an imp corpse =/

007bistromath

• Backer
  • First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2008, 17:03 »

Armor weight is already in, apparently. It's the end of an era, and it's all your fault.

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2008, 09:06 »

That picture's a masterpiece :)

I'm for.
Right now the XP rank's way to stale, especially when other parts of the player.dat have similar information, only more so. Expanding on it'll make it interesting again.
Pages: [1]