Chaosforge Forum

• April 24, 2024, 00:13
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Unique monsters and bosses  (Read 13102 times)

Potman

• Major
    • View Profile
Unique monsters and bosses
« on: January 15, 2008, 07:29 »

"You feel relatively safe now... But wait... You feel a presence of something powerful!"

Yeah there'd be a chance that once you've cleared the level of all monsters, a boss monster would appear. This'd either be a too powerful monster to be normally generated on that level - such as a cacodemon on level 2 - or specifically named unique fellow. Regardless, once you've beaten your foe, it'd drop something pretty powerful.

Some ideas for unique monsters:

The Butcher: Demon, carries butcher's cleaver (and can use it). Has two levels in Hellrunner and one level in Brute.

Archibald the Undying: Former human, carries blue armor and two advanced pistols. Has three levels in SoaG, two in Dualgunner, and two in TaN. Also has 50% chance of coming back to life immediately after dying.

Hans Grosse: Former captain, has a blue armor and a minigun. One level in SoaB and in Eagle Eye, and three in Ironman.

Bruiser Brothers: Two hell knights, both unarmed and unarmored, but both drop 1-3 random mods. The other has two levels in Eagle Eye and one in Cateye, while the other one has two in Brute and Ironman.

Pain Mother: Pain Elemental, unarmed and unarmored, but drops several random mods and a random advanced weapon. Spawns special kind of lost souls called Hellspawn: They all have three levels in Hellrunner and one in Ironman.

Duke Eresmus: Baron of Hell, has a baron armor, but no weapon. Three levels in both TaN and Hellrunner. Prefers close combat over throwing acid balls.

Spider Mastermind: Always generated in the end of Spider's Lair. Has Jackhammer (and uses it), two levels in SoaB, two in Triggerhappy, three in Hellrunner, and two in Ironman.

If you have other ideas, post them.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 07:48 by Potman »

Rola

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Unique monsters and bosses
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 10:03 »

Spider Mastermind: Always generated in the end of Spider's Lair. Has Jackhammer (and uses it), two levels in SoaB, two in Triggerhappy, three in Hellrunner, and two in Ironman.
I think it should use some beefed-up version of a chaingun, as in the original Doom. This is surely a must-have boss, I miss him greatly in DoomRL. Maybe we could also put him on lv15, for example. Seriously, one of the features I really look forward in the new version, more than another challenge mode or whatever else.

Potman

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 10:14 »

I think it should use some beefed-up version of a chaingun, as in the original Doom.

Jackhammer basically is: In the original, her beefed up chaingun was in fact a rapid-fire shotgun, just like Jackhammer.

This is surely a must-have boss, I miss him greatly in DoomRL.

Seconded.

Maybe we could also put him on lv15, for example.

Nah, why should we, when she so obviously already has her own level?

Seriously, one of the features I really look forward in the new version, more than another challenge mode or whatever else.

Again seconded. I can't understand why we didn't already get her a long time ago.

Psion

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008, 18:25 »

What about a system to generate random unique monsters (similar to diablo 2 or hell gate) where the monsters are based off common monsters but given more hp and some random traits?

Some monster trait ideas
Charged - After you hit this monster it releases a few plasma shots in random directions.
Hyper - Moves and attacks faster.
Mighty - Melee attacks hit harder.
Retrofitted - Comes equipped with two random standard weapons that it can fire at the same time.
Phased - Can move through walls and halves all damage taken.
Unstable - Explodes violently when killed.
Teleporter - Can teleport.  What a surprise.
Cursed - When hit with a weapon the attacker takes a small amount of damage.
Hardy - Improved armor resistance and more hp.
Spawner - Splits into ordinary copies of itself when it dies.
Vampiric - Drains health with non-weapon attacks.
Regrowth - Regenerates hp slowly.

Zeb

• Elder
  • Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 22:37 »

What about a system to generate random unique monsters (similar to diablo 2 or hell gate) where the monsters are based off common monsters but given more hp and some random traits?

Some monster trait ideas
Charged - After you hit this monster it releases a few plasma shots in random directions.
Hyper - Moves and attacks faster.
Mighty - Melee attacks hit harder.
Retrofitted - Comes equipped with two random standard weapons that it can fire at the same time.
Phased - Can move through walls and halves all damage taken.
Unstable - Explodes violently when killed.
Teleporter - Can teleport.  What a surprise.
Cursed - When hit with a weapon the attacker takes a small amount of damage.
Hardy - Improved armor resistance and more hp.
Spawner - Splits into ordinary copies of itself when it dies.
Vampiric - Drains health with non-weapon attacks.
Regrowth - Regenerates hp slowly.

I think these are definitely fitting for the lower levels of Angel of 100, but not for the main game.

As for boss monsters, fuck yes to Spider mastermind but I don't really like the others.

Daqin

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 08:41 »

I also like the idea. Not only after clearing up a level, but also when generating the level. And besides some pre-created uniques I like the idea of random ones also. However maybe not named by traits but with generated names (names generator ?) ? Would be cool. For example, you meet Andaragos, former commando, or Zhukar the Imp. And character history would include meetings with these.
Unique mobs certainly would add to the game.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 08:44 by Daqin »

Psion

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2008, 18:34 »

I don't know about mobs.  A handful of unique or random monsters scattered lightly through the game would go a long way.  Also, I can't see many people caring about the history of a particular monster.  Not in DoomRL at least.

Daqin

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2008, 01:58 »

Also, I can't see many people caring about the history of a particular monster.

How can you do that ..?

Anticheese

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2008, 04:09 »

f for fire, m for more information.

darksergio

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2008, 10:18 »

Well Here is my idea for a unique monster

The missionary: kell knight it have one level in brute and three in ironman it has a 25% of posibility of play dead when it is in almost dead aparing as a dead body and cannot be targeted or attacked while it is playing dead  and It will get up to fight again two turn later whit mortally wounded instead of almost dead but it can play dead only one time. It weild a masive knife called the blade of the missionary and dont use the ranged attack of the hell knight it prefer meele combat. It drop the blade of the missionary after dead
Blade of the misionary:
combat knife
Damage: 3d5
+5 max hp
-5 move speed
Well this monster I dont know it fit in doomrl because I based in one of the boss monster of silent hill 3 but I think that some of the monsters of silent hill 3 could fit in Doom theme but is only my opinion
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 10:25 by darksergio »

Chamber

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2008, 14:16 »

A total conversion based on Silent Hill would be amazing.  Using a Maul on the Memory of Alessa would be memorable.

As to unique enemies, I prefer the randomly generated variety.  Preferably generated along with an entourage of lesser monsters, in a large room filled with supplies, and sometimes holding a unique.  Giving lots of experience, too.

This might even tie in with the proposed bones generation system, converting very powerful dead PCs into unique battles.

Oh, and I say yes to the Spider Mastermind. 

darksergio

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2008, 17:39 »

Well when I finally understand the making of mods for doomrl I think I will make a TC based in silent hill. About the spider mastermind it need to be in to game

Conker

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2008, 00:11 »

A total conversion based on Silent Hill would be amazing.  Using a Maul on the Memory of Alessa would be memorable.

As to unique enemies, I prefer the randomly generated variety.  Preferably generated along with an entourage of lesser monsters, in a large room filled with supplies, and sometimes holding a unique.  Giving lots of experience, too.

This might even tie in with the proposed bones generation system, converting very powerful dead PCs into unique battles.

Oh, and I say yes to the Spider Mastermind. 

I like the bones tie-in. Also, you seem to coyly be suggesting 'vaults'. Not a terrible idea at all. Anything that adds variety to the levels...

DaEezT

• Greater Elder
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2008, 00:16 »

DoomRL already has (item)vaults. They are usually (always?) filled with lost souls.
"Morality is merely a convention with which men mutually agree to delude themselves. There are no moral facts, just preferences, and one is no better than any other."

Xael

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2008, 06:40 »

DoomRL already has (item)vaults. They are usually (always?) filled with lost souls.

Actually, vaults can be filled with either lost souls, demons or cacodemons. Maybe there are other types of filling monsters, but that escapes my knowledge.

Potman

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2008, 06:43 »

Actually, vaults can be filled with either lost souls, demons or cacodemons. Maybe there are other types of filling monsters, but that escapes my knowledge.

Former humans, too, in very early levels. Also ties in as the most frustrating vault enemy, along with cacodemons.

Chamber

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2008, 10:52 »

As an alternative to the 'vault' idea ... how about a unique random enemy that 'senses' you as soon as you enter the level, and tries to reach you for a bit of quality time.  If it can, it opens doors so as to establish line of sight and kill you.  Otherwise it'll break down doors, blast open walls, and shoot barrels in its attempts to make a path to you.  The player will hear all this, and know that a hunter is on its way.

Conker

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2008, 21:25 »

Too small for my blood, though. I was envisioning something bigger and grander.

I like Chamber's last idea.

ParaSait

• Baffen :P
  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2008, 08:54 »

I think these kinda "bosses" should only be spawned on the higher difficulties. I mean, the game is hard enough already...
[18|7|3|0|0|0] [MED:13/43] [SPE:36/67] [ASM:11/40]

Check out my epic youtube channel!
Currently playing The Bard's Tale and System Shock 2 (coop with GrAV1t)!

ParaSait

• Baffen :P
  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2008, 08:57 »

Also, I can't see many people caring about the history of a particular monster.

Why would you want to know the history of a monster? Just slaughter them!!! =P
[18|7|3|0|0|0] [MED:13/43] [SPE:36/67] [ASM:11/40]

Check out my epic youtube channel!
Currently playing The Bard's Tale and System Shock 2 (coop with GrAV1t)!

Sachiko

• Sergeant
  • I hunt down Cheat-modders and collect their skulls
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2008, 10:41 »

The idea of bones files is tempting. Having my soldier Sachiko being attacked by a Zombieman named Konata suddenly sounds hilarious to me.

Respect to bosses and Unique demons, I have one or two ideas...

-Name: Orgoth the insatiable.

-Letter: Big bad dark red 'D'

-Description: Gluttony impersonated stands before you right now. This big, mean thing only seeks to satisfy his eternal hunger with anything it finds in its way: Walls, doors, items, corpses, you...

-Special ability: Any square he steps in (Except lava, acid and indestructible walls) is changed to a clean, itemless, corpseless, floor square. When this happens, message 'Orgoth the insatiable eats everything he finds in his way to you!' and Orgoth the insatiable recovers some life points.

-Strength: Hits like a ton a bricks.
-Endurance: Hard like a wall of bricks.
-Speed and Dexterity: Slow as a brick.

---

-Name: The Juggernaut

-Letter: Grey 'J'

-Description: This demon was born in the High Forge of Hell, when fire tempered the hardest metals of Tartarus. Heavy, Hard, and with an arsenal capable of destroying a city, he only has one mission in mind: Rubbing you off the map in the least time as possible.

-Special Ability: He has MANY different weapons. And he uses them all to fry you to a crisp. Think of a meaner, nastier version of the Tank from Quake 2.

-Strength: Hellish
-Endurance: Hellish
-Dexterity and Speed: Almost Non-existent.

When/If destroyed, he drops an artifact, The Juggernaut's Arm. It is like a mix of minigun and Nuclear Plasma Rifle, meaning it shoots LOADS of plasma bolts per second, and it has its own source of power. Great Reward for a Great Victory.

What do you think?
If you ever use cheat-mode, I'll go for you and kill you while you sleep.

Jagazaar

• Private FC
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2008, 04:24 »

While I just started playing the game a few days ago (addicted, already up to Demon Lieutenant), I'm all for this idea. Slaughtering hordes of regular goons is great, but a few harder/unique enemies would be awesome too. Spider Mastermind is a must IMO, and I think it'd be pretty cool to fight Doom 2's final boss (it'd have to be fairly different from the original game though, what with the lack of multiple height levels), but I think most of the Doom enemies are already in the game. Maybe adding some more 'traditional' (Lucifer, Beelzebub, etc), or D&D-styled demons would help to expand things a bit, but it depends how much Kornel wants to branch from a real Doom-like game I guess.

I think a new challenge mode for unique enemies and/or bosses would be an idea. As in, a unique/boss monster spawns every level/2 levels/etc, but with a smaller number of regular enemies as compensation? Possibly a few arena-style challenges?

Fantastic game so far, by the way :)

bfg9001

• Elder
  • First Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2008, 18:29 »

Respect to bosses and Unique demons, I have one or two ideas...

-Name: Orgoth the insatiable.

-Name: The Juggernaut

I really like both of these boss ideas.

Titt

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2008, 19:18 »

I thought that read "Orgoth the invisible" for a moment, and it gave me the idea of a "boss" which is simply an ordinary medium-powered monster from the game, perhaps a revenant or a hell knight, which is completely invisible.

Psion

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2008, 13:32 »

What about a thief kind of enemy that's invisible and, instead of attacking you, steals items or ammo?  Of course if you can find it you can kill it and get your stuff back.

Also, this game has zombies which fairly well demands some kind of necromancer enemy (the Arch Vile doesn't really cut it).
Pages: 1 2 [All]