Chaosforge Forum

• April 25, 2024, 06:07
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: DoomRL RP  (Read 1963 times)

Daqin

DoomRL RP
« on: January 23, 2008, 03:47 »

Well, this is not really feature but rather new game, ehm.. I wonder how would DoomRL RP game with universe (world map), places, plot and goal look like. Right now, you can test and train your skill with the game, but after a while you may ask yourself 'what do I need this skill for?'. It looks more like one episode from some bigger game. And after little exploring you may be disinterested because of lack of some motivating goal (testing and training your skill may help you reach your goal, but I wouldn't treat it as a goal itself ). Lets say, in DoomRL-RP you could go anywhere you liked to find something useful maybe and free to leave and go somewhere else. To make it simple, generally for all games, training up your skill and challenging it is just small part of the game. The game is created by stories (quests, descriptions, commentaries or whatever), the outlook that appears in mind/imagination (natural process), that's why when you reach it you kinda enter different world, not just reach few rules and mechanics. In this world you use skills, but the skills alone are not that world. Simple challenge-play based on rules is just to entertain so called 'boredom', which I don't really find existing and I don't experience it. What really affects players in games is something else. For example, I played Adom in the past, and there are many dungeons and places to go there, but if I encapsulate myself to just one and forget the whole story,world and other places it will be just bland game, not interesting and reduced to testing myself against monsters and environment, which I don't know why I should do it for. Right now RL games are like this. Kind of masterpieces but miss this aspect.
So this how it looks IMO, and my kind of request.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 06:22 by Daqin »

RickVoid

• Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: DoomRL RP
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 10:07 »

Your post made me remember something.

Did anybody here play Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance? It was the special second release of the game, and included a feature called Snake Tales. These were mini-missions that took place in recycled game locations. The various area were linked by text boxes telling you the story. They were also, mostly ridiculous. (At one point you fight a hugely blown up version of the regular guard that has a fin on its back and shoots lasers from its eyes. I shit you not.)

Yeah... not sure where I was going with this. Perhaps after kornel finishes the game, (Version 1.0.0, bitches!) and releases the information of monster HP and damage (please?), somebody will come up with rules for a tabletop RPG version of our favorite game. :) That'd be awesome.

Hell... I'd do it. :)
Campbell: Snake, press the action button.
Snake: ... What?
Campbell: The action button, on the control pad.
Snake: What!?
Pages: [1]