Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 04:00
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Closing doors on items.  (Read 4182 times)

Zeb

• Elder
  • Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
Closing doors on items.
« on: January 23, 2008, 18:38 »

I hate it when I'm fighting monsters in a doorway, then try to close the door and run only to be told that there's "no doors I can close" because some monster dropped ammo in the doorway, so I have to stand and fight . Would it be okay to allow shutting doors on top of items? I mean, as far as I know someone leaving 5 bullet in a doorway doesn't normally make the door nonoperational. >_>

DaEezT

• Greater Elder
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Closing doors on items.
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 00:08 »

I mean, as far as I know someone leaving 5 bullet in a doorway doesn't normally make the door nonoperational. >_>
But what about a rocket launcher, a chainsaw or a thermonuclear warhead? :p
"Morality is merely a convention with which men mutually agree to delude themselves. There are no moral facts, just preferences, and one is no better than any other."

Jorge Alonso

• DoomRL Testing Ops
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 00:11 »

I think this is fixed on new version, and this text it's because the door is destroyed.

Rola

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 05:05 »

Can't we introduce a rule that items will not be dropped on doors? Currently engine looks for a free space, so e.g. when multiple items had to be dropped in a narrow corridor nothing gets lost, but it's going to be more widely spread. Let's mark open doors as invalid space (just as closed doors).

Zeb

• Elder
  • Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2008, 21:31 »

I mean, as far as I know someone leaving 5 bullet in a doorway doesn't normally make the door nonoperational. >_>
But what about a rocket launcher, a chainsaw or a thermonuclear warhead? :p
It would take about a quarter or a second to nudge it out of the way with your foot. :-P

Anyway, Rola's solution sounds perfectly reasonable if it hasn't been implemented yet. Most of the problem comes from the "look for free space" behavior anyway, as I tend to make stands in doorways in all roguelikes, and with a large number of monsters being killed in the same area the ammo or whatever has a tendancy to land in the doorway even if the monster was killed 6 spaces away.
Pages: [1]