Chaosforge Forum

• April 18, 2024, 07:50
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Next DoomRL version  (Read 4684 times)

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
Next DoomRL version
« on: January 27, 2008, 07:07 »

I have a problem on my hands now. By DoomRL's version numbering and following the plan, DoomRL 0.9.9 should be next. However, there are quite a few changes planned for 0.9.9 some of them needing a lot work, and not being very visible. Hence, the development of 0.9.9 would take a lot of time, and expected release date would be around March/April (as far as any non-profit software release can be scheduled xP).

Seeing how active the community has become lately, I'm starting to doubt it's a good thing -- in such a long time people will loose interest again (however they might be back after 0.9.9 is released :)). Yet, I don't think it would be bad to release a midway release once I do it. It WOULD make it seem funny however ("Still not 0.9.9? LOLZOMG!").

Even if I do a pre-0.9.9 release I wonder which solution would be better : a quicker release in a week or two with a few features and several bugfixes with a 0.9.8.12 release scheduled) or just one "midway" release to 0.9.9 in a month or so...

Please vote!
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Rola

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Next DoomRL version
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2008, 09:27 »

I've voted for the interim updates. These will give us bugfixes quickly and will maintain the elevated level of interest in the community. I don't see any problems with versions being named 0.9.8.15 - quite on the contrary, I was always against the big increases in ver. numbers when no major changes are present.

Cyber Killer

• Elder
  • Sergeant
  • cyberpunk
    • View Profile
    • CK's site
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 00:28 »

as long as there will be no savefile etc comptibility problems between versions I'm for the second one

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 04:01 »

Savefile compatibility is something I never care about. DoomRL games are short, and maintaining save comatibility is a real PITA. However score and player.dat compatibility is a more serious issue. Unfortunately it will have to be broken, bit that is planned for 0.9.9.
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Xael

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 06:07 »

If player.dat will not be compatible with the new version, please make some easy way to unlock challanges and difficulties, because going through AoB again will be hell.

Cyber Killer

• Elder
  • Sergeant
  • cyberpunk
    • View Profile
    • CK's site
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 11:16 »

yeah... or even better - some kind of player.dat converter to the new version

Blade

• Tester
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
    • Upyachka
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2008, 12:05 »

yeah... or even better - some kind of player.dat converter to the new version

Yep, converter would be cool. I don't want to search again for that 300 mancubi that i killed so far.)
Low orbit ion cannon damaged my brain!!1
Now i'm an idiot!1 Kill me, somebody!!11

DaEezT

• Greater Elder
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2008, 12:21 »

Yay for reset!

That way I get to have the same stats as Blade for a few hours and feel all warm and fuzzy inside. :D
"Morality is merely a convention with which men mutually agree to delude themselves. There are no moral facts, just preferences, and one is no better than any other."

Chamber

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2008, 11:24 »

As far as I'm concerned, saved games and player data compatibility are not important.  Since I tend to keep different player data files at home and work, and usually forget to update the player.dat file, I doesn't bother me to start fresh.  It's good to get a feel for new balance in the game.

I think that the more frequent releases come, the better for maintaining interest.

Carpetsmoker

• Private FC
  • Nexus-6
    • View Profile
    • DaemonForums
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2008, 21:34 »

I would prefer an as stable and bugfree release as possible.
Making a new release every 6 months or every year is fine for me, it's a good game now and will be a good game in a year ... A few minor features/changes really won't change anything about that.

You can, ofcourse, also release devel builds every few weeks orso, and people who want both the latest features and the latest bugs can use those...
Pages: [1]